Gopher Women's Hockey 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
    As for why I seldom go to Gophers games anymore, Covid got me out of the habit, and I found other things to do. Then when I tried to return last year, I found that I couldn't get inside the arena in time for their awesome(!!!) 6 pm Friday night starts, after having to wait in line for parking ramps/lots where everyone had to use a credit card.
    I am in complete agreement on the Friday 6pm games. Which athletic department genius decided this was a starting time which would be conducive to fan attendance?

If you haven't been there much recently you may not be aware that the building is now almost completely cash free. I think you might be able to produce US currency at the box office if you haven't previously obtained a ticket but once inside the gates cash will do you absolutely no good. All concessions are credit card only.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post

I am in complete agreement on the Friday 6pm games. Which athletic department genius decided this was a starting time which would be conducive to fan attendance?

If you haven't been there much recently you may not be aware that the building is now almost completely cash free. I think you might be able to produce US currency at the box office if you haven't previously obtained a ticket but once inside the gates cash will do you absolutely no good. All concessions are credit card only.
      The same in Madison at LaBahn, and for football and volleyball as well. Completely cashless, no more printed tickets (my final print-at-home pdf tickets were the Ohio State series in February). Digital-only tickets is literally the reason I finally got a cell phone. :-) And as for the cashless concessions, it used to be a coke or a brat or whatever would cost $6. Now that they don't have to make change, they add the sales on; $6.36 or whatever.

Comment

Penn State also has 6 pm Friday starts -- parking and traffic are probably not as big a hassle as for the Gophers but that's still tight to get to after work for any who isn't already on campus. I work on campus which makes the Friday 6 pm starts a lot easier to get to! I note the Penn State men's team starts at 7 pm on Fridays which seems like a much better choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUfan View Post

Penn State also has 6 pm Friday starts -- parking and traffic are probably not as big a hassle as for the Gophers but that's still tight to get to after work for any who isn't already on campus. I work on campus which makes the Friday 6 pm starts a lot easier to get to! I note the Penn State men's team starts at 7 pm on Fridays which seems like a much better choice.
          I also work on campus but my galaxy brained colleagues in athletics won't let me take my work laptop into Ridder. Note: not my backpack, the laptop inside it. So I usually have to leave early to drop it at home.

Since we have separate arenas, men's games also usually start at 7/7:30 which is a good amount of time to avoid congestion.

That said, the free jersey promo in january on a friday at 6:00 vs. Mankato got 3122 people to show up.
          Last edited by StPaulSam; 03-11-2024, 04:54 PM.
          RowTheBoatSkiUMahGoGophers!

Comment

I think you might be able to produce US currency at the box office if you haven't previously obtained a ticket but once inside the gates cash will do you absolutely no good. All concessions are credit card only.
            Already last year, the box office was card only. Fair enough -- for $1, I can buy ahead and avoid that line. As for concessions, a large portion of the fans are an adult or two with a team of a dozen squirts. Do parents send their 9-yr-olds to the game with a credit card, or is Coach supposed to buy popcorn for everyone?

Given that there is still a game to play, I suppose I could save my grumpy old man ramblings for another day and turn attention to that. Do we have any insiders here, and if so, can Kaiser (or any of the other half-dozen wounded) play? Clarkson's style would suggest a 1-0 or 2-1 game, but with the Gophers' recent defensive abilities, I've learned to bet the over.

The H2H history with Clarkson was going well, until it wasn't. Unless there was some very early meeting that I've forgotten, I don't think that the Golden Knights scored on UM in any of the (four) regular-season games. The Gophers took the first NCAA quarterfinal contest in OT, after Noora gave up a goal on a rocket from outside the blue line. In 2014, Lev had the worst game of her Minnesota career as Clarkson earned its first Championship. Clarkson knocked out UM a round earlier in 2017, 4-3, as the Gophs overcame the first three deficits, but ran out of time after Rhyen McGill scored the winner with 91 seconds left.

Trivia fact: the Gophers have never won an NCAA quarterfinal outside the state of Minnesota. Okay, they've only played three road quarters, but they lost the two that weren't in Duluth. Looked at another way, the loss at BC was the only time they've lost a quarter to a non-WCHA team. In the years when the NCAA wasn't saving money on air travel, they have won quarterfinal games against Providence, Princeton (3), BC, the aforementioned Clarkson, BU, and RIT.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Do we have any insiders here, and if so, can Kaiser (or any of the other half-dozen wounded) play?
              Strib piece this morning says Kaiser out for the rest of the season.

Upper body injury.
              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Strib piece this morning says Kaiser out for the rest of the season.
                Sorry for her. The old "let 'em play" officiating at work. Ignore the blatant boarding, but make sure you assess a penalty when a teammate comes by to say, "WTH!"

Comment

The H2H history with Clarkson was going well, until it wasn't. Unless there was some very early meeting that I've forgotten, I don't think that the Golden Knights scored on UM in any of the (four) regular-season games. The Gophers took the first NCAA quarterfinal contest in OT, after Noora gave up a goal on a rocket from outside the blue line. In 2014, Lev had the worst game of her Minnesota career as Clarkson earned its first Championship. Clarkson knocked out UM a round earlier in 2017, 4-3, as the Gophs overcame the first three deficits, but ran out of time after Rhyen McGill scored the winner with 91 seconds left.
                  You are correct on all accounts Clarkson vs Gophers.

Opponent - MINNESOTA
                  Date---- Result CU Minn
                  11/27/09 L(A)-- 0-- 4
                  11/28/09 L(A)-- 0-- 2
                  3/13/10- L(A)-- 2-- 3 ot NCAA Quarterfinals
                  10/1/10- L(H)-- 0-- 5
                  10/2/10- L(H)-- 0-- 3
                  3/23/14 W(N)-- 5-- 4 NCAA Championship
                  3/17/17 W(N)-- 4-- 3 NCAA Semifinal
                  Totals W2-L5 GF-7 GA-21
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Already last year, the box office was card only. Fair enough -- for $1, I can buy ahead and avoid that line. As for concessions, a large portion of the fans are an adult or two with a team of a dozen squirts. Do parents send their 9-yr-olds to the game with a credit card, or is Coach supposed to buy popcorn for everyone?

Given that there is still a game to play, I suppose I could save my grumpy old man ramblings for another day and turn attention to that. Do we have any insiders here, and if so, can Kaiser (or any of the other half-dozen wounded) play? Clarkson's style would suggest a 1-0 or 2-1 game, but with the Gophers' recent defensive abilities, I've learned to bet the over.

Trivia fact: the Gophers have never won an NCAA quarterfinal outside the state of Minnesota. Okay, they've only played three road quarters, but they lost the two that weren't in Duluth. Looked at another way, the loss at BC was the only time they've lost a quarter to a non-WCHA team. In the years when the NCAA wasn't saving money on air travel, they have won quarterfinal games against Providence, Princeton (3), BC, the aforementioned Clarkson, BU, and RIT.
                    You realize the men have never beaten an ECAC team in an NCAA championship? You're a lot better at 3-1 vs the ECAC.

Not counting any empty netters, Saturday's game is a 1 goal game. over/under 3.5.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      You realize the men have never beaten an ECAC team in an NCAA championship?
                      Having watched many more UMD men's games in person in my life, I don't lose any sleep when the Gopher men lose. The women, in hockey as in life, can make me blue for days.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Not counting any empty netters, Saturday's game is a 1 goal game. over/under 3.5.
                      Whatever I think is going to happen, this year's Gophers have proven to make the opposite come true. I'm taking the over on 3.5 (EN goals count in over/unders). My guess is that either UM wins like 4-3 after blowing a 3-0 lead, or Clarkson wins about 6-0. If you have a dominant offense, then you will dominate UM like tOSU and UW do. If you have a great defense and try to scratch out a goal somewhere, then the Gophers have enough offense to make it hard to hold a lead for 40 minutes. My expectation is that Desrosiers will ramp up the forecheck pressure and UM turnovers will rain down from the heavens. Frost will shorten the rotation due to being a center short, especially if behind, because only Minnesota's first line is likely to score.

Comment

Sorry for her. The old "let 'em play" officiating at work. Ignore the blatant boarding, but make sure you assess a penalty when a teammate comes by to say, "WTH!"
                        my utter fury at the pairing of Ludwig and Kaehler for our quarterfinal series and then the same pair for the semifinals!? To say nothing of the bang up job they did last year in our NCAA Semifinal in Duluth. I'm helping a friend do a statistical analysis of Murph's PIM by ref this season.

As it stands now: when Kaehler and/or Ludwig is on the ice she averages 3.17 penalty minutes. When Kaehler and someone else 4.14. When neither Kaehler or Ludwig are there: 2.06 minutes. Speaking as someone who's worn stripes before (admittedly in football, not hockey), there's something deeply wrong with their officiating.
                        Last edited by StPaulSam; 03-11-2024, 08:37 PM.
                        RowTheBoatSkiUMahGoGophers!

Comment

• I had no idea Izzy Daniel was from Rodentapolis. How did she escape the clutches of Frosty?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Not only did she escape, but her Blake School teammate Lily Delianedis (Cornell second leading scorer) and national team member Rory Guilday from Minnetonka.

Comment

Having watched many more UMD men's games in person in my life, I don't lose any sleep when the Gopher men lose. The women, in hockey as in life, can make me blue for days.

Whatever I think is going to happen, this year's Gophers have proven to make the opposite come true. I'm taking the over on 3.5 (EN goals count in over/unders). My guess is that either UM wins like 4-3 after blowing a 3-0 lead, or Clarkson wins about 6-0. If you have a dominant offense, then you will dominate UM like tOSU and UW do. If you have a great defense and try to scratch out a goal somewhere, then the Gophers have enough offense to make it hard to hold a lead for 40 minutes. My expectation is that Desrosiers will ramp up the forecheck pressure and UM turnovers will rain down from the heavens. Frost will shorten the rotation due to being a center short, especially if behind, because only Minnesota's first line is likely to score.
                              Gophers will win 4-1 I assume he will play the former SLU Goalie since she had 4 years of playing against Clarkson, but that could be the mistake he makes by not

Comment

• Originally posted by RightbackatU View Post

Gophers will win 4-1 I assume he will play the former SLU Goalie since she had 4 years of playing against Clarkson, but that could be the mistake he makes by not
                                Lucy Morgan against Clarkson

Won 5 Lost 7 Tied 1 (1 win was a 1-0 shutout her freshman year, the other 4 wins were during the COVID Year: 4-3, 2-1, 5-1, 4-3)
                                The losses are
                                2-1 Freshman Year
                                2-1, 2-1, 1-0 Junior year
                                3-1, 5-4, 1-0 Senior Year.
                                Tie was 1-1 her Junior year.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X