Gopher Women's Hockey 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
    Please forgive my intrusion, I do my best not to post anymore, but....
    Forgive the question, but would you be willing to offer a few words of explanation?

Participation by Gopher fans on USCHO is definitely down, and I'm puzzled. Of course I get that you'd rather be ranked higher than #5 in the Pairwise, or whatever the number currently is. But it feels like there's more than that going on. Or put more accurately, not going on.

If something happened within your ranks that's none of my business, of course I withdraw the question.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

Forgive the question, but would you be willing to offer a few words of explanation?

Participation by Gopher fans on USCHO is definitely down, and I'm puzzled. Of course I get that you'd rather be ranked higher than #5 in the Pairwise, or whatever the number currently is. But it feels like there's more than that going on. Or put more accurately, not going on.

If something happened within your ranks that's none of my business, of course I withdraw the question.

It's because it took so long to get my account approved that I never bothered to try and post. Also, hello.
      RowTheBoatSkiUMahGoGophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
        I think it may have been more so if MSU had been generating something. Deep into the third the Mavs were barely scratching the surface even on shot attempts.
        Yeah but weren't you one fumbled puck by a d away from a breakaway?
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by StPaulSam View Post

It's because it took so long to get my account approved that I never bothered to try and post. Also, hello.
          Well hello!

If you're really back, welcome back. And if you're only back part-time, this is a good time of the year to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            For sure. But just as a listener, MSU had much of a 3rd-game-in-3-days feel on Sunday, compared to the jump that they brought to the third period on Friday. Having the lead seems to be more critical in the rubber game after everyone has heavy legs.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              For sure. But just as a listener, MSU had much of a 3rd-game-in-3-days feel on Sunday, compared to the jump that they brought to the third period on Friday. Having the lead seems to be more critical in the rubber game after everyone has heavy legs.
              I think Arlan has nailed it even though as he states he was not in the building. There was a very much present in the arena feeling that MSU had already taken their best shot. In a one goal game the fear of the fluke never completely disappears. This time it seemed even more unlikely than usual. MSU had 11 shots on goal for the entire game which included only one really high quality chance, the ice felt tilted against them.

Of course, anything can happen. Most times it doesn't. This time it didn't.
              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post

Of course, anything can happen. Most times it doesn't. This time it didn't.
                Nicely crafted. And so true.

Comment

• Bump.

Relegated to page two...About right for this program at this time.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    Bump.

Relegated to page two...About right for this program at this time.
                    I find the negativity on these boards confusing. Yeah it wasn't a great year, certainly not the one I had hoped for. But by the standards of almost any other team, it was a phenomenal year. And to think: next year we'll have tons of incoming talent, Isa Goettl will be on the ice for us (presumably, I thought she'd play this year), Murph, Boo, and Huber...we're gonna be fully loaded. I have been to every home game and most away games. No matter how the NCAA tournament goes, this team has played their hearts out and I am very very proud of them.

Comment

I find the negativity on these boards confusing. Yeah it wasn't a great year, certainly not the one I had hoped for. But by the standards of almost any other team, it was a phenomenal year. And to think: next year we'll have tons of incoming talent, Isa Goettl will be on the ice for us (presumably, I thought she'd play this year), Murph, Boo, and Huber...we're gonna be fully loaded. I have been to every home game and most away games. No matter how the NCAA tournament goes, this team has played their hearts out and I am very very proud of them.
                      It has been very disappointing to see the small crowds in Ridder this year. My work schedule has made it nearly impossible to attend most Saturday games, but I will transfer my tickets when we have interest from other relatives or friends. Where is everyone else?
                      They came very close on Friday, and still have all to play for. Looking forward to the post season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

It has been very disappointing to see the small crowds in Ridder this year. My work schedule has made it nearly impossible to attend most Saturday games, but I will transfer my tickets when we have interest from other relatives or friends. Where is everyone else?
                        I've been saying the same thing. In addition to not performing at the level we all would like, I think a lot of people who used to come to Ridder but maybe don't have a connection to the U are going to PWHL games instead. It irritates me to no end to see people I know who I couldn't bribe to come to games last year go nuts for the PWHL. At least three people I know are knitting PWHL themed gloves/scarves/etc. with their league logo. I really don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very that the opportunity exists now, but I am tired of "Wow this Grace Zumwinkle is really good! Who knew?!" I did go to the PWHL game at Mariucci a few weeks ago when a coworker offered me a ticket. It was fine I guess, but I've never had much luck getting into pro sports. The generic branding is just boring to boot.

As for myself, living in Dinkytown has its benefits. At most, I'm about a 10 minute walk from Ridder.
                        Last edited by StPaulSam; 03-10-2024, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I've been saying the same thing. In addition to not performing at the level we all would like, I think a lot of people who used to come to Ridder but maybe don't have a connection to the U are going to PWHL games instead. It irritates me to no end to see people I know who I couldn't bribe to come to games last year go nuts for the PWHL. At least three people I know are knitting PWHL themed gloves/scarves/etc. with their league logo. I really don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very that the opportunity exists now, but I am tired of "Wow this Grace Zumwinkle is really good! Who knew?!" I did go to the PWHL game at Mariucci a few weeks ago when a coworker offered me a ticket. It was fine I guess, but I've never had much luck getting into pro sports. The generic branding is just boring to boot.

As for myself, living in Dinkytown has its benefits. At most, I'm about a 10 minute walk from Ridder.
                          It'd be more interesting if there were a 'Wisconsin alumni team', and a 'Gopher alumni team', augmented by players from elsewhere. Maybe a 'Hockey East alumni' and 'ECAC alumni' etc. More of a carry-over rooting interest, instead of divided loyalties.

Yes, I'm mostly joking... but a little serious, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

It'd be more interesting if there were a 'Wisconsin alumni team', and a 'Gopher alumni team', augmented by players from elsewhere. Maybe a 'Hockey East alumni' and 'ECAC alumni' etc. More of a carry-over rooting interest, instead of divided loyalties.

Yes, I'm mostly joking... but a little serious, too.
                            At Mariucci I started calling and cheering them as "the Purple Gophers" much to the dismay of someone in the row behind me in a PWHL jersey. I felt genuinely weirded out cheering for Sophie Jacques who is of course a phenomenal player. There might be some merit to the Gopher/Wisco/ECAC alumni team lol!
                            Last edited by StPaulSam; 03-11-2024, 01:54 AM.

Comment

I felt genuinely weirded out cheering for Sophie Jacques who is of course a phenomenal player.
                              You mean that Sophie Jaques who for three seasons in Ridder stood at the top of the circles (or lower) in the offensive zone, and I don't think the Gophers burned her even once?

As for why I seldom go to Gophers games anymore, Covid got me out of the habit, and I found other things to do. Then when I tried to return last year, I found that I couldn't get inside the arena in time for their awesome(!!!) 6 pm Friday night starts, after having to wait in line for parking ramps/lots where everyone had to use a credit card.

For other fans, I think Frost's inability to attract the very best players from Minnesota is starting to have a negative impact on interest. Who are the Minnesota players on the Gophers roster that UW and OSU would want? I can think of four. In years gone by, we had Minnesota products that were franchise players for any team. Now, they might be all-league caliber, but not the top tier of those. Maybe the state isn't producing as many blue chips, but when it does, UM doesn't always get them.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                You mean that Sophie Jaques who for three seasons in Ridder stood at the top of the circles (or lower) in the offensive zone, and I don't think the Gophers burned her even once?

As for why I seldom go to Gophers games anymore, Covid got me out of the habit, and I found other things to do. Then when I tried to return last year, I found that I couldn't get inside the arena in time for their awesome(!!!) 6 pm Friday night starts, after having to wait in line for parking ramps/lots where everyone had to use a credit card.

For other fans, I think Frost's inability to attract the very best players from Minnesota is starting to have a negative impact on interest. Who are the Minnesota players on the Gophers roster that UW and OSU would want? I can think of four. In years gone by, we had Minnesota products that were franchise players for any team. Now, they might be all-league caliber, but not the top tier of those. Maybe the state isn't producing as many blue chips, but when it does, UM doesn't always get them.
                                Also for me, even before her personnel got better, Muzerall did a better job coaching her players than Frost did/does. Too many defensive breakdowns, an offensive zone scheme not much better than pond hockey, and, it seems to me, too often the players don't even play hard enough.

To add to your arena issues, I can't get in to the arena anymore for games because they won't print my tickets...lol

p.s. I respect StPaulSam's sticking by them. It's a shame I have such a hard time doing so, but my feelings have grown just a little bit more every year for quite a few years now. Too bad for me, for GWH is maybe my favorite sports team ever, right up there with Bud Grant's Vikings.

I hope they run the table for StPaulSam's sake, as well as the players that are still there trying hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X