Gopher Women's Hockey 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    No need to feel vindicated. Primerano is the best recruit the tunnelers have had in a while. It's just different hype locally for the players in Minnesota who are playing in the best high school league in the US. Much more of a following than anywhere else in the country.
    I wonder where Frosty is listening to hear the buzz. I'd believe it for coaches around the country. Casual fans? Most of them couldn't tell you who Primerano is. It was much harder to be unaware of Wendell and Darwitz arriving as HS phenoms and Olympians, because they were arriving with far more news coverage and into a brand new arena. Of course over 20 years ago, there were far fewer programs, so there are more coaches to impress now. Back then, the Gophers even had fans on this forum, and in a reversal, Wisconsin didn't.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Back then, the Gophers even had fans on this forum, and in a reversal, Wisconsin didn't.
      Now subdued fans, as in old Viking type fans.

Comment

• The Gophers have of late been dressing 18 skaters, one fewer than what is allowed. Not really a big deal, Frost has never played the fourth line much even in the best of times so having three lines with two spare skaters and 3 sets of defense with one spare doesn't seem like malpractice.

So now on their Facebook (and probably X) feeds they are congratulating 20 WCHA All Academic performers. And lets begin with congratulations to all of those stellar students who happen to be hockey players.

But three of the All Academics are two players who have dressed for a game either zero times this season or maybe once and another player who dressed a few times earlier in the season but has now not been seen for several weeks.

I mean if they are still on the team such that you are going to take credit for their academic accomplishments then perhaps you might want to consider letting one or another of them put on the equipment and uniform to have a seat on the bench to watch the game.

I don't know what I don't know and mostly with this team that is a lot but this seems odd to me
        Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 02-22-2024, 09:05 PM.
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• The Bobbi Ross Fan Club was back in the building for the home game versus Saint Cloud.

Comment

I wonder where Frosty is listening to hear the buzz. I'd believe it for coaches around the country. Casual fans? Most of them couldn't tell you who Primerano is. It was much harder to be unaware of Wendell and Darwitz arriving as HS phenoms and Olympians, because they were arriving with far more news coverage and into a brand new arena. Of course over 20 years ago, there were far fewer programs, so there are more coaches to impress now. Back then, the Gophers even had fans on this forum, and in a reversal, Wisconsin didn't.
            brookyone

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
              But three of the All Academics are two players who have dressed for a game either zero times this season or maybe once and another player who dressed a few times earlier in the season but has now not been seen for several weeks.

I mean if they are still on the team such that you are going to take credit for their academic accomplishments then perhaps you might want to consider letting one or another of them put on the equipment and uniform to have a seat on the bench to watch the game.

I don't know what I don't know and mostly with this team that is a lot but this seems odd to me
              It does to me as well.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Are the players healthy? Dan has talked about both Conner and Dunne, for example, dealing with injuries. If they aren't medically cleared to play, perhaps that extends to not being allowed to dress. Although there have been exceptions, like Alyssa Grogan taking the ice for the final seconds on Senior Day.

Comment

Are the players healthy? Dan has talked about both Conner and Dunne, for example, dealing with injuries. If they aren't medically cleared to play, perhaps that extends to not being allowed to dress. Although there have been exceptions, like Alyssa Grogan taking the ice for the final seconds on Senior Day.
                  I would also extend that question about #6, #12, and #22. All part of a freshmen class that has not been all that great.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

I would also extend that question about #6, #12, and #22. All part of a freshmen class that has not been all that great.
                    One of those three has been dressing for almost all of the recent games but seeing only occasional game ice time. At least she has the gear on.

Comment

• The Gophers welcome another Ms. Hockey winner, so there's that...
                      https://www.therinklive.com/high-sch...wins-ms-hockey

Comment

The Gophers welcome another Ms. Hockey winner, so there's that...
                        https://www.therinklive.com/high-sch...wins-ms-hockey
                        This does seem like good news. On the other hand Ohio State welcomes the player selected by both metro news organizations as the Metro Player of the Year.

Comment

This does seem like good news. On the other hand Ohio State welcomes the player selected by both metro news organizations as the Metro Player of the Year.
                          Yeah, but Tosu is losing 4 Grad F's next year and 4 Grad D, so their D is being completely gutted. They also have 5 F that are Sr's and 1 D, so it's not guaranteed all these players will be back either. The jig's gonna be up for Calamity Jane and her travelling band of all-stars.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Next season is the final year that there will be a large group of players for whom the Covid year is a thing. There will be a few left the following season due to injuries and/or Olympic absences, but then that is another Olympic year.

I wouldn't have thought Muzzy would be able to blend all of the transfers so quickly into a team, but I haven't seen anyone who has a team ready to go quicker once the season starts than her. If she did it once, and she has scholarship $$$ to spend, lightning could strike again.

Comment

Next season is the final year that there will be a large group of players for whom the Covid year is a thing. There will be a few left the following season due to injuries and/or Olympic absences, but then that is another Olympic year.

I wouldn't have thought Muzzy would be able to blend all of the transfers so quickly into a team, but I haven't seen anyone who has a team ready to go quicker once the season starts than her. If she did it once, and she has scholarship $$$ to spend, lightning could strike again.
                              Yeah the porthole being wide open may make this strategy of transfers more sustainable, but how many top-end players are actually going to utilize it? When you get recruited you build a relationship with that coaching staff and that school and you go there because you want to go there. So the likelihood of you wanting to change schools other than in a coaching change would be rather unlikely. We shall see.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

If you watched the state tournament you could very easily had made a different choice for the Metro Player of the year. Boreen (#18 for Hill Murray) and Halverson (#10 for Edina) made very strong cases for being that choice. Once St Martin (#7 for Stillwater) became the metro player of the year then you knew Puppe (#9) for Northfiled was going to win the Ms Hockey award.

Comment

Working...
                                X