Gopher Women's Hockey 2023-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    Muzerall was a great player, a Gopher all timer. It is true that she played against competition which was not as strong as what is now normal.

But she was absolutely a great player. Almost certainly if the competition had been at a higher level she too would have played at a higher level. If the comparison is apples to apples in her time she was the shiniest apple in the basket.
    She has endeared herself to us here and still as you put it shines and of course she'll embraces her Minnesota roots. Obviously our greatest fear is her someday leaving OSU for Minnesota so I hope the roots she's set down here are digging deep!

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      not in the top ten for career assists; no top ten season for assists.
      So I'm REALY good at reading between the lines and Watts robertearle is saying is Muzzy was a puck hogging selfish player who only lived for herself on the ice. Wink/Smileyface. I heard from a voice on the street there was a game where she never skated across her defensive blueline unless there was a faceoff down there. Legend. Wink/Smileyface.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• All of those older records are out of reach basically forever. Same thing with Hilary Knight's 143 career goals at Wisconsin. The talent across the board is so much higher (particularly the goaltending) that people aren't putting up 40 goal seasons at all anymore, much less the multiple years in a row you'd need to run those marks down.

Murphy leads with 27 right now and probably makes 30, but she had 29 last year and only 8 her freshman year.
        22-23 season did not have a 30 goal scorer. (Heise and Murphy tied with 29)
        21-22 season had one as Maureen Murphy made it to 30. That was it.
        20-21 was a COVID mess, Watts led with 19.
        19-20 Giguere put up 37 for Clarkson, and Carly Bullock hit 30 for Princeton
        18-19 Loren Gabel had 40 and Jessie Eldridge had 30.

That's how rare even hitting 30 is nowadays. And you have to put up 4 40-spots in your career to run down Muzerall at Minnesota or Knight at Wisconsin.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadgerPete View Post
          All of those older records are out of reach basically forever. Same thing with Hilary Knight's 143 career goals at Wisconsin. The talent across the board is so much higher (particularly the goaltending) that people aren't putting up 40 goal seasons at all anymore, much less the multiple years in a row you'd need to run those marks down.

Murphy leads with 27 right now and probably makes 30, but she had 29 last year and only 8 her freshman year.
          22-23 season did not have a 30 goal scorer. (Heise and Murphy tied with 29)
          21-22 season had one as Maureen Murphy made it to 30. That was it.
          20-21 was a COVID mess, Watts led with 19.
          19-20 Giguere put up 37 for Clarkson, and Carly Bullock hit 30 for Princeton
          18-19 Loren Gabel had 40 and Jessie Eldridge had 30.

That's how rare even hitting 30 is nowadays. And you have to put up 4 40-spots in your career to run down Muzerall at Minnesota or Knight at Wisconsin.
          For curiosity, I looked up Daryl Watts' totals: 64 at BC, and 72 at Wisconsin, for a total of 136. But that includes 19 from her additional COVID "half" season; without that, 117.
          Last edited by robertearle; 02-09-2024, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

So I'm REALY good at reading between the lines and Watts robertearle is saying is Muzzy was a puck hogging selfish player who only lived for herself on the ice. Wink/Smileyface. I heard from a voice on the street there was a game where she never skated across her defensive blueline unless there was a faceoff down there. Legend. Wink/Smileyface.
            I'm very curious if there's any accessible full game footage of her game available?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              I'm very curious if there's any accessible full game footage of her game available?
              Back then women's college hockey was so niche that no one ever bothered to record anything unless it was an ncaa tourney game. It wasn't line nowadays where every niche sport like axe throwing, lawn mower racing and cornhole are on an outlet somewhere.

Comment

• With every year that goes by, Muzerall gets more credit for Minnesota’s last 4 national championships, and Frost gets less.

Comment

Back then women's college hockey was so niche that no one ever bothered to record anything unless it was an ncaa tourney game. It wasn't line nowadays where every niche sport like axe throwing, lawn mower racing and cornhole are on an outlet somewhere.
                  (somewhere in their vaults. Wisconsin Public TV has video of the four-overtime longest scoreless game in NCAA women's hockey history, the 2007 1-0 quarterfinal win over Harvard. We know because video of the game-winning goal surfaced some years ago, and can be found online now. But I've looked, it is not anywhere available in any online archive, etc.)

Comment

• Found some Frozen Fours on a stock video site a while back, but it's pretty inconsistent in terms of how much even of those games exist on public video.

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                      With every year that goes by, Muzerall gets more credit for Minnesota’s last 4 national championships, and Frost gets less.
                      The staff with Joel Johnson and the Muzzinator was really good...I like what both of them have done recruiting wise compared to Frost recently...
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Was the 5 SOG Friday in game 1 period 1 a program record for fewest SOG in a period?

Comment

• Looks like the savior of your program is going to arrive a year early.

Comment

In my era, the early aughts, the games were recorded and the coaches must have exchanged vhs tapes. Because we watched video prior to every match up. And video the next day or 2 after every game. A few years later it was already digitized and coaches could look at clips in between periods. I assume there’s boxes of grainy old vhs video of Muzerall somewhere. Maybe Halldorson has them, maybe they are in a dusty office at Ridder somewhere….maybe Muzerall scooped em when she was a coach there and has them herself!

Ken Dryden wrote about watching old video of himself on the Candiens (or was it the Summit Series?) He said the memories were better than the tape.

Comment

Was the 5 SOG Friday in game 1 period 1 a program record for fewest SOG in a period?
                              Off the top of my head, I remember a 2nd period against SLU during 2005-06 when the Gophers were outshot 20-2 on home ice. Coach Halldorson was not amused. There may have been good UMD or UW (or in the early years, someone out East) teams that kept them off the board completely. Mercifully, I've forgotten those.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Looks like the savior of your program is going to arrive a year early.
                                The expectations for Primerano are probably the highest for any recruit in program history. Glad she is choosing to further challenge herself by jumping up a level. Having her and Murphy on the same team will be fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X