Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2023-24 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by DTOM View Post
    No doubt about it, all set up prior, then entered the portal as required. Knowing her a little, I'm amazed she stayed in the CHA this long.
    Yep you are right you can't make USA hockey from being on a CHA team. No wait Janecke just did. All the girls that transfered to OSU and Northeastern came up short this year. There are no guarantees. Heck PSU beat national champ Wisconsin this year. Oh well it seems to be a trend.

    Comment


    • #47
      Moving on, I guess, from the Kiara Zanon exit, so I can get the bad taste out of my mouth...

      Penn State has now lost three of the top five scorers from last season (Zanon, Correia, and MacKay), not to mention the big defensive loss of Gangarosa, Heminger, and Uihlein to graduation. Those are all some pretty big skates to fill for 2023-24. According to the not-always-accurate commitments list, offensively Penn State only has one forward coming in next season.

      It's going to be a busy summer for this coaching staff. I doubt any forwards who are considered top tier are still looking for a team, but it would be nice to get at least a couple more forwards on the roster. Penn State still has three full lines of forwards returning, but there's no wiggle room at all for injuries or anything else. Not only that, but now they're going to have to rethink the offense and the lines with Zanon out of the picture. I don't envy Jeff Kampersal, but he does have talent to work with, so we'll see how he reworks things.

      Comment


      • #48
        Should be competitive and so should Mercyhurst and Lindsay says RMU is crowing like a rooster. It won't be dull that is for sure.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Reddington View Post

          Yep you are right you can't make USA hockey from being on a CHA team. No wait Janecke just did. All the girls that transfered to OSU and Northeastern came up short this year. There are no guarantees. Heck PSU beat national champ Wisconsin this year. Oh well it seems to be a trend.
          I said that? I don't think so. My comment refers to her maybe thinking something along those lines, or a National Championship, etc. Yeah PSU beat Wisconsin, also tied RIT. It happens.

          Comment


          • #50
            Okay, with Olivia Wallin jumping ship, too, now Penn State has lost four of its top five scorers from last season. After those top five scorers, there are only two players still on the roster who scored double digit goals last season.

            Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 05-03-2023, 04:58 PM.

            Comment


            • #51
              This is laughable, the sky was not falling. Things will be returning to normal once women's hockey runs through the extra year of eligibility. Until then evidently all bets are off.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                This is laughable, the sky was not falling. Things will be returning to normal once women's hockey runs through the extra year of eligibility. Until then evidently all bets are off.
                I have no problem with a fifth-year grad student moving on to a new program, but not a player who bails before that. Why even come to Penn State in the first place, if your reason for playing D-1 hockey is a realistic shot at a national championship? We're not there yet! But they show up here, talking about being a part of something bigger than themselves, wanting to build the program, playing for the name on the front of the jersey, "team first", and all that good stuff. Now the team turns a corner, starts tasting success, and you want to bail?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

                  I have no problem with a fifth-year grad student moving on to a new program, but not a player who bails before that. Why even come to Penn State in the first place, if your reason for playing D-1 hockey is a realistic shot at a national championship? We're not there yet! But they show up here, talking about being a part of something bigger than themselves, wanting to build the program, playing for the name on the front of the jersey, "team first", and all that good stuff. Now the team turns a corner, starts tasting success, and you want to bail?
                  I think sometimes when you get to a school you find out it's just not a good fit one way or another then you should definitely be able to find a better fit. The thing we don't know is that are players being actively recruited once they are already on another team, kind of like being tampered with?
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                    This is laughable, the sky was not falling.
                    It really is. Penn State had (maybe still has?) something pretty good going.

                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Kampersal has to have money now, let's see how many common sense parents can smell that money and say you know what this is where you are going.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                        Kampersal has to have money now, let's see how many common sense parents can smell that money and say you know what this is where you are going.
                        One problem for him is that the portal for undergrad transfers closes today. Grad transfers can still happen, and anyone already in the portal can commit to a new school after today. But any undergrad who might be tempted to jump to PSU looking for more ice time, etc. has only today to get through the portal to get that "money".

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Interesting factoids. Thanks for the information.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by robertearle View Post

                            One problem for him is that the portal for undergrad transfers closes today. Grad transfers can still happen, and anyone already in the portal can commit to a new school after today. But any undergrad who might be tempted to jump to PSU looking for more ice time, etc. has only today to get through the portal to get that "money".
                            I think Jeff Kampersal is going to need a pretty hefty helping hand from somewhere. Tessa Janecke can't carry the offense by herself, even with Julie Gough coming back for her fifth year. After those two, the forwards were underwhelming on the scoring chart. With Janecke, Gough, Zanon, and Wallin, at least he had two very potent scoring lines he could count on...not anymore, though. He did great with last season's two grad transfers (Courtney Correia and Eleri MacKay), so maybe he can make that happen again and at least hold on for 2023-24, until he can recruit like a madman and get some high-speed whiz kids on the roster. That, or troll the portal next year if he has to.

                            What a shame, after Penn State won their first CHA championship and played an epic first ever NCAA tournament game. I just don't understand undergrads wanting out after a season like that.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                              I think sometimes when you get to a school you find out it's just not a good fit one way or another then you should definitely be able to find a better fit. The thing we don't know is that are players being actively recruited once they are already on another team, kind of like being tampered with?
                              I think you find out that its not a good fit after a year. Not 2-3 years.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by LBartowski View Post
                                I think you find out that its not a good fit after a year. Not 2-3 years.
                                I agree. Maybe 2 years if you are very patient an/or hopeful. So we've just solved the portal puzzle. You can only transfer after your Fr year, your Sr year, or if the coach leaves. Makes sense to me.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X