No announcement yet.

2023-24 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here I am looking for horsepower coming in.....

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
      Here I am looking for horsepower coming in.....
      No kidding. I really hope Kampersal wasn't blindsided by Zanon's speedy transfer.

Comment

Blind-sided me. Not sure what’s the reason someone would transfer if you were captain, conference player of the year, conference champions, and made regionals. Also, she probably played more than every forward on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
          It's really quite a shock that a top-tier player from this program chose to transfer out, and even more so because of how quickly it all happened. No sooner had she hit the portal and bam...she was gone.
          It was quite a surprise to me as well and I have no inside information.
          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 05-02-2023, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Technically, i don’t think you can talk to another coach until you have officially said you were transferring. Maybe I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              ...my assumption is it was pre-arranged and the portal was just a formality?
              That sounds like just about the only way a transfer could happen this quickly, especially with a player like Zanon.

Comment

Originally posted by LBartowski View Post
                Blind-sided me. Not sure what’s the reason someone would transfer if you were captain, conference player of the year, conference champions, and made regionals. Also, she probably played more than every forward on the team.
                Exactly - she sure wasn't hurting for playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by LBartowski View Post
                  Technically, i don’t think you can talk to another coach until you have officially said you were transferring. Maybe I am wrong.
                  No, you're correct. Directly or indirectly, it would be a violation of NCAA rules for a "representative" of a school to contact a player at another school prior to the player's name hitting the portal.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/com...and_Trends.pdf

Comment

I'm sure the coach was blindsided and took a punch to the gut at the same time.

Comment

There is some delay, 2-3 days or even considerably longer, between when a player shows up on the “public” portal sites vs the actual portal.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

No, you're correct. Directly or indirectly, it would be a violation of NCAA rules for a "representative" of a school to contact a player at another school prior to the player's name hitting the portal.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/com...and_Trends.pdf
                        That rule is for a coach or athletic staff member making contact with a play of another program. I don't believe it's a violation for a player to initiate the contact because it doesn't not mention the player, only the staff of another program. To clarify my previous comment about the possibility of Zanon commitment to OSU being pre-arranged it was an opinion and in no way indicated any kind of rules violation. Some here are blowing it way out of proportion.
                        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 05-01-2023, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BackyardIce View Post
                          There is some delay, 2-3 days or even considerably longer, between when a player shows up on the “public” portal sites vs the actual portal.
                          Not necessarily. It probably just depends on how 'diligently' whoever is putting the names on the web site is with regard to tracking the names first appearing in the portal. Or maybe just a matter of timing and 'luck' or coincidence.

To go back again to the podcast description by one of the volleyball transfers coming to Wisconsin this season - yes, a different sport with a different level of fan interest and number of 'eyes' watching it all - she had "fifteen emails" within the first three minutes of her name appearing, plus messages on instagram, etc. And she said she had a bet with her mother about how long before it was being posted and talked about on the volleyball fan site equivalent to this (VolleyTalk); it took two hours for her name to be on and talked about.

(Adding: So I checked that web site, to see how long it took her to go from "her name on VolleyTalk" to "announcing transfer to Wisconsin". It took four days, AM of Dec 21 on the fan web site to AM Dec 25 (yes) posting on her instagram.)
                          Last edited by robertearle; 05-02-2023, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Not necessarily. It probably just depends on how 'diligently' whoever is putting the names on the web site is with regard to tracking the names first appearing in the portal. Or maybe just a matter of timing and 'luck' or coincidence.
                            Correct. I'm just saying you can't assume that when they show up on these public sites is when they actually went in the portal. I know of a couple who are in the portal, one of which over a week, and they are still not showing on these 2nd hand sites.

Comment

Originally posted by BackyardIce View Post

Correct. I'm just saying you can't assume that when they show up on these public sites is when they actually went in the portal. I know of a couple who are in the portal, one of which over a week, and they are still not showing on these 2nd hand sites.
                              True! Weeks have gone by before the public sites update who are going into the portal... and also girls who have committed to play other places. I know of a few girls on the portal who have committed to schools, but it's not posted. Maybe the public transfer portal sites are at the mercy of schools who announce on Twitter/Instagram and those who don't?

Comment

No doubt about it, all set up prior, then entered the portal as required. Knowing her a little, I'm amazed she stayed in the CHA this long.

Comment

Working...
                                X