Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2023-24 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Congrats to Penn State. I watched most of it, and couldn’t believe the way Penn State had them penned in their zone. Not sure if that’s typical for a Penn State Mercyhurst game this year. First time back to back tourney champions since ‘14 and ‘15 I believe, when RIT did it.

    Comment


    • Good attendance for students having break.

      Vaslet keeps rolling.

      Desa had had two shutouts in a row. That's amazing.

      You can't leave out the d when it is a 1-0 game

      On to the dance.

      Comment


      • I'm wondering why Mike Sisti waited so long to pull Ena Nystrom. He had a chance to pull her a good 30 seconds earlier than he did, and Mercyhurst was buzzing in the Penn State zone.

        Comment


        • It's obvious now, but they were getting chances. It's a game of inches two years in a row. Having three lines that can score has paid off big time.

          Comment



          • VIDEOS

            Post game press conference (Penn State): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikpUvwbPklo
            Post game press conference (Mercyhurst): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xachLjtsvCs

            Comment


            • The Tournament MVP was Desa. The goalie coach has paid dividends.

              All tournament for Penn State were: Vaslet, Machado and Lobdell. Lobdell with four blocks and Machado with her relentless forecheck.

              Comment


              • Vaslet is having a stupendous junior season:

                2021-22 stats -- 5 goals, 2 assists, 7 points
                2022-23 stats -- 3 goals, 9 assists, 12 points
                2023-24 stats -- 16 goals, 10 assists, 26 points and the winning goal in the conference championship!

                She hasn't (until Saturday!) been getting the attention that some of the other top forwards not named Janecke are getting but she's been doing a great job centering the third line.

                Vaslet highlight video from Saturday: https://www.facebook.com/reel/409683478214373
                Last edited by PSUfan; 03-06-2024, 09:49 AM.

                Comment


                • Penn State deserve this win ..Sisti teams have had trouble scoring when it matters for the last few years ..It didn’t help that his best defenseman (Pedersen ) was out with what I believe was a knee injury .Sisti started a forward ( Kromer) at D,and who did Vaslet beat for the goal Kromer .That is on Sisti..Mercyhurst chips more puck out of there D zone than any other team they I have watch in recent past ..What ever happened to puck possession..Oh that’s what Penn State does .

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by wcaps View Post
                    Penn State deserve this win ..Sisti teams have had trouble scoring when it matters for the last few years ..It didn’t help that his best defenseman (Pedersen ) was out with what I believe was a knee injury .Sisti started a forward ( Kromer) at D,and who did Vaslet beat for the goal Kromer .That is on Sisti..Mercyhurst chips more puck out of there D zone than any other team they I have watch in recent past ..What ever happened to puck possession..Oh that’s what Penn State does .
                    I'm not sure I would throw Kromer under the bus, the weak side d should have been rotating back. As far as Sisti, I'm sure he was playing matchup and he probably had his weakest defensive pair against the supposed third line. Vaslet is no third line player even though that is what she is asked to play on. Kampersal just rolls and the other teams match-up. It worked out for Kampersal this time.

                    Comment


                    • And in a 1-0 game I think the concerns about scoring go both ways. At least 3 times Janecke fed a puck to where she thought there would be a player and there was no one there, misread by one of the 2 players. Scary defensively if your opponent snags that puck and gets going the other way.

                      Penn State speed really was the difference. Hoping the Lakers get over the hump next year. Unreal showing by Nystom, Ste Croix was making a push too.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        And in a 1-0 game I think the concerns about scoring go both ways. At least 3 times Janecke fed a puck to where she thought there would be a player and there was no one there, misread by one of the 2 players. Scary defensively if your opponent snags that puck and gets going the other way.

                        Penn State speed really was the difference. Hoping the Lakers get over the hump next year. Unreal showing by Nystom, Ste Croix was making a push too.
                        Janecke has been working on being a playmaker all year. Pederson had to have been a big loss. I still think Sisti is a very good coach. And let me tell you after watching what has happened at Syracuse after Flanagan retired, I would not be in a hurry to see what's behind door b.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Reddington View Post

                          Janecke has been working on being a playmaker all year. Pederson had to have been a big loss. I still think Sisti is a very good coach. And let me tell you after watching what has happened at Syracuse after Flanagan retired, I would not be in a hurry to see what's behind door b.
                          Yep, and Janecke looked amazing out there… just something I noticed. Pretty cool to see the growth from 1 year to the next and I hope she’s on the worlds team next month.

                          No question on Sisti. I think Flanagan had a great comment years ago re Mercyhurst teams, he said they always play motivated to win. Absolutely true. Everyone was singing the praises of St Cloud all year rightly so, and who was one of their few losses to? The Hurst. Lakers get beat up early because they play some really good ECAC
                          Schools, but it’s a great schedule nonetheless and we’ll see what next year brings.

                          Comment


                          • Mercyhurst and Penn State is a great rivalry. Mercyhurst is always formidable.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                              At least 3 times Tessa Janecke fed a puck to where she thought there would be a player and there was no one there, misread by one of the 2 players. Scary defensively if your opponent snags that puck and gets going the other way.
                              I saw that quite a bit this season, too, and I just took it as Janecke being that little bit extra in quickness and vision. She said herself that this year she's tried to focus on setting up plays more than being the goal scorer, and it shows in her goals vs assists compared to last season. She actually scored more points being the playmaker. And now she's been invited to the U.S. Women's National team camp for the upcoming IIHF Worlds: https://gopsusports.com/news/2024/3/...tion-camp.aspx

                              Janecke's play has really bumped up the play from fellow sophomore Katelyn Roberts, and freshman Stella Retrum got a gift being put on a line with Janecke to learn from.

                              Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                              Mercyhurst and Penn State is a great rivalry. Mercyhurst is always formidable.
                              It took a lot of years, but I love that Penn State and Mercyhurst are finally in a place where they are equally competitive, and it always makes for some great hockey when the two of them face off.

                              Comment


                              • Tessa Janecke has been named a top-10 finalist for the 2024 Patty Kazmaier award: https://www.pattykaz.com/news_article/show/1303008

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X