Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2023-24 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stella Retrum is on the Hockey Commissioners Association rookie of the year award watch list: https://gopsusports.com/news/2024/2/...atch-list.aspx

    Comment


    • PSU up 4-0. Lobdell, Christian, Brooks and Janecke. All things going PSU's way including a bloop goal.
      ​​​​
      Last edited by Reddington; 02-02-2024, 06:41 PM.

      Comment


      • 3-2 win in 0T. Surprising sweep. No Bothun, No Gough, apparently no problem. PSU is on track for 20+ wins.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          3-2 win in 0T. Surprising sweep. No Bothun, No Gough, apparently no problem. PSU is on track for 20+ wins.
          Awesome come from behind OT win after going down 2-0 in the second period! Really nice crowd of ~1300 this afternoon and the band was there -- pretty sure that's the second game the band has been at this season.

          Comment


          • Kampersal has caught lightning in a bottle twice with Desa and the Stecker Christian line combo. The band at a second game is great for the program. 1300 at the game is nice. The next milestone for the program is 2000 fans. Sisti is probably giving the Mercyhurst players a very uncomfortable bus ride home.

            Desa had a save in the first game that was huge. If Mercyhurst converts that sequence, it could have been a different game.

            ​​​​​​

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              Kampersal has caught lightning in a bottle twice with Desa and the Stecker Christian line combo. The band at a second game is great for the program. 1300 at the game is nice. The next milestone for the program is 2000 fans. Sisti is probably giving the Mercyhurst players a very uncomfortable bus ride home.

              Desa had a save in the first game that was huge. If Mercyhurst converts that sequence, it could have been a different game.

              ​​​​​​
              For now, Brooks, Stecker, and Christian are a really fast line and has become very productive. Stecker was productive last year as a F with Janecke and is productive again now. She is fast. I would never break that line up. The Vaslet line with Bedier and Machado and Janecke line with Roberts and Retrum are set as well. DeSa looks strong and athletic in the net. I believe psu is clicking on all cylinders at this point. It would be extremely hard to change anything moving forward.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LBartowski View Post

                For now, Brooks, Stecker, and Christian are a really fast line and has become very productive. Stecker was productive last year as a F with Janecke and is productive again now. She is fast. I would never break that line up. The Vaslet line with Bedier and Machado and Janecke line with Roberts and Retrum are set as well. DeSa looks strong and athletic in the net. I believe psu is clicking on all cylinders at this point. It would be extremely hard to change anything moving forward.
                Those are great points, however the weekend before it was Vaslet Stecker and Christian. This weekend it was Brooks Christian and Stecker. The only line that has not changed for awhile is Janecke Retrum and Roberts.

                Stecker drives the net well which would not necessarily show up in the box score. She tallied a nice score for all her work.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Reddington View Post

                  Those are great points, however the weekend before it was Vaslet Stecker and Christian. This weekend it was Brooks Christian and Stecker. The only line that has not changed for awhile is Janecke Retrum and Roberts.

                  Stecker drives the net well which would not necessarily show up in the box score. She tallied a nice score for all her work.
                  Stecker needs to stay at F. She makes things happen.

                  Comment


                  • When Stecker scored she was out there with Alva Johnson and Machado. Alva Johnson is looking more confident after the New Year..

                    Comment


                    • With the Penn State sweep of Mercyhurst last weekend, they now sit in first place in the CHA with 26 points, and Mercyhurst is in second place with 20 points. With four games left for everybody, and 8 points up for grabs, Penn State can clinch the CHA regular season title with one more win and a tie in the next four games.

                      It's too bad Penn State plays this weekend away at Robert Morris, rather than having the chance to win the title at home, but a trophy is a trophy. Also unfortunately, the weekend series at Robert Morris is on FloHockey.

                      Comment


                      • Penn State has had three goalies as CHA goalie of the week and I'd be surprised if that ever has happened before in the history of the conference. Bothun is a big loss and was having a fantastic year, but kudos to Kampersal for having Desa and Spring ready to perform at a high level.

                        The transfer portal is starting to fill in and with Brooks and McCeachren having solid years, one would have to think that PSU is showing prospective 5th year players that PSU is a place you'd want to attend.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                          With the Penn State sweep of Mercyhurst last weekend, they now sit in first place in the CHA with 26 points, and Mercyhurst is in second place with 20 points. With four games left for everybody, and 8 points up for grabs, Penn State can clinch the CHA regular season title with one more win and a tie in the next four games.

                          It's too bad Penn State plays this weekend away at Robert Morris, rather than having the chance to win the title at home, but a trophy is a trophy. Also unfortunately, the weekend series at Robert Morris is on FloHockey.
                          Just to take this an extra step, if Penn State wins one more game out of the next four, and Mercyhurst loses one game in the next four, Penn State wins the CHA regular season title. But this weekend at Robert Morris, Penn State can put it away regardless of Mercyhurst if they win one and at least tie the other.

                          Comment


                          • Robert Morris has Puddifant and Snow from St Lawrence and Primeau from Syracuse. Their leading scorer is Gianpietro, an Ohio State castoff, that lost out on the revolving door OSU trend of recruiting over players. Her numbers are really good for a frosh.

                            Good analysis on all the math numbers. It's all going to come down to playing either RIT or Robert Morris from that one seed. It will be interesting to see how Robert Morris has gelled over the season from the last time PSU played them on whether one matchup is better than the other. RIT and Celeste Brown are looming.

                            Comment


                            • Rolling around in the mud sums this game up which ended up in a 4-4 tie. One D gets ejected on a game misconduct along with the former Syracuse player who loves that type of stuff.

                              Comment


                              • Penn State could have (and really should have) won the regular season title this weekend at Robert Morris, but they came away with a tie and a loss against a team that was .500 in conference play. In game two, Penn State outshot Robert Morris 68-28 and still lost in OT. The Robert Morris goalie must be seven feet tall and six feet wide, or she's really, really good.

                                So, as usual in the CHA, we're down to the final weekend of the regular season and don't have a champion yet. The only teams that can win the regular season title are Penn State and Mercyhurst, and both have already clinched home ice advantage for the CHA tournament semifinals. Next weekend, Mercyhurst finishes the season against Syracuse, and Penn State ends it with RIT. There are 4 points left to take - currently, Penn State is at 27 points and Mercyhurst is at 24 points. In the CHA, there are 2 points for a win and 1 point for a tie.

                                If Penn State wins either game against RIT, they win the title regardless of what Mercyhurst does against Syracuse. If the regular season ends after next weekend with Penn State and Mercyhurst tied for first, Penn State would win the title due to the head-to-head results against Mercyhurst (3 wins and 1 loss)...at least I think that's how a season final tie for first place is settled. Former Penn State assistant coach Celeste Brown gets to bring her RIT team to Penn State and try to play spoiler, but RIT is also still battling Lindenwood for the final spot in the CHA tournament. Lindenwood's final weekend is against Robert Morris, who has third place locked up and can't finish any higher.


                                (with 4 points left to play for)
                                ---------------------------------
                                27 points...Penn State
                                24 points...Mercyhurst
                                19 points...Robert Morris
                                14 points...RIT
                                14 points...Lindenwood
                                10 points...Syracuse
                                Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 02-12-2024, 04:36 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X