Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2023-24 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How embarrassing...Penn State loses 3-1 to Syracuse. Shots on goal were 42-13 for Penn State, and penalties were 7 for Syracuse and 2 for Penn State. Syracuse got a shorthanded goal that smoked Josie Bothun so badly she got hurt on it, and Annie Spring had to finish the game in net. There's no excuse for losing like this to a team that had a grand total of one conference win coming into this game.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      How embarrassing...Penn State loses 3-1 to Syracuse. Shots on goal were 42-13 for Penn State, and penalties were 7 for Syracuse and 2 for Penn State. Syracuse got a shorthanded goal that smoked Josie Bothun so badly she got hurt on it, and Annie Spring had to finish the game in net. There's no excuse for losing like this to a team that had a grand total of one conference win coming into this game.
      Why do you suppose this happened?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by LBartowski View Post
        Why do you suppose this happened?
        It could be lots of things. I thought there was too much trying to be fancy with passes in the offensive zone, and passing overall just wasn't very sharp (hitting skates instead of sticks, or too far ahead, etc), Tessa Janecke getting herself kicked out, the defense not very crisp breaking out of the Penn State zone, the powerplay being so ineffective...and, of course, Syracuse came to play, so you can't discount the work they put in. Their goalie played a great game, too.

        What did you see that kept Penn State out of this one?

        Comment


        • The livestream died, but after one it's scoreless at Penn State. Both teams took a penalty, and shots on goal are 15-6 for Penn State. Before the video died, it was pretty much all Penn State. The announcers said Jeff Kampersal was disappointed with the fancy stuff players were trying last night, and wants the team to "play gritty, not pretty".

          Katie DeSa got the start in net today, and for some odd reason the pep band decided to show up to a women's hockey game, too.

          Comment


          • After two, Penn State is up 3-0 on goals from Tessa Janecke, Lyndie Lobdell, and Alva Johnsson. Syracuse took two penalties, and shots on goal are 36-8 for Penn State.

            Comment


            • The up and down continues to be a thing. Alva Johnson seems to be on a hot streak. And Desa is getting some help this game with the three goals. Bizarre yesterday that the officials look at a penalty on Vaslet only to give Janecke a game misconduct. The pep band at a game is awesome. I think it adds so much to the atmosphere. Let's hope they can make another game

              Comment


              • Penn State makes it a split with a 5-0 win over Syracuse on third period goals from Mya Vaslet and Kendall Butze. Penalties were 6 for Syracuse and 1 for Penn State. Shots on goal were 53-12 for Penn State.

                Comment


                • Mercyhurst just lost to Robert Morris, so Penn State gets a little redemption in the standings after yesterday's loss to Syracuse.

                  Comment


                  • Bothun has had a nice year. Spring came in for relief again like Dartmouth. Then Spring got the next game against Dartmouth and the team won and Spring received the CHA goalie of the week. Desa got the start against Union and the team lost in ot. Spring got the next start against Union and won. Desa got the start today and won. It's a competitive goalie room. It's nice to see as Mercyhurst had two goalies last year and I'm sure it helps as the season is so long. I hope the Bothun girl is okay.
                    Last edited by Reddington; 01-21-2024, 10:19 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

                      It could be lots of things. I thought there was too much trying to be fancy with passes in the offensive zone, and passing overall just wasn't very sharp (hitting skates instead of sticks, or too far ahead, etc), Tessa Janecke getting herself kicked out, the defense not very crisp breaking out of the Penn State zone, the powerplay being so ineffective...and, of course, Syracuse came to play, so you can't discount the work they put in. Their goalie played a great game, too.

                      What did you see that kept Penn State out of this one?
                      Um, it very obvious where the turning point was.

                      Here is every team in the CHA’s gameplan…hack, hold, slash, hook and do whatever you can to stop Janecke. The reason it works is that she is physically stronger than probably everyone she plays so she seems unphased so the refs don’t call it. But if she pushes or tries to get away the girls go flying off and she gets a penalty. I’m sure she is frustrated. Then you have people who just make comments thinking that she gets “herself” kicked out, like she is not a team player and does it on purpose. (Not sure how you can’t see what’s going on). Doesn’t it seem weird that Janecke does not get a lot of passes in the offensive zone? It’s because she has someone hanging off her. Then you ask yourself, does this happen with other teams? Well, with the top teams in the country, there are multiple players that are upper end scoring threats that you have to stop, so these game plans do not work against them.
                      Then the comment, Bothum got burned so bad that she got hurt. Why did she get burned bad? I think someone else had a turnover, and Bothum did what she could to save a teammate’s mistake, and ended up pulling a muscle or whatever.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by LBartowski View Post
                        Um, it very obvious where the turning point was.

                        Here is every team in the CHA’s gameplan…hack, hold, slash, hook and do whatever you can to stop Janecke. The reason it works is that she is physically stronger than probably everyone she plays so she seems unphased so the refs don’t call it. But if she pushes or tries to get away the girls go flying off and she gets a penalty. I’m sure she is frustrated. Then you have people who just make comments thinking that she gets “herself” kicked out, like she is not a team player and does it on purpose. (Not sure how you can’t see what’s going on). Doesn’t it seem weird that Janecke does not get a lot of passes in the offensive zone? It’s because she has someone hanging off her. Then you ask yourself, does this happen with other teams? Well, with the top teams in the country, there are multiple players that are upper end scoring threats that you have to stop, so these game plans do not work against them.
                        When a team has to face a player as strong and fast as Tessa Janecke, of course they're going to key on her. It's been that way all season, and will be that way for the rest of her time at Penn State. I'm more than sure she knows it, too, and by this point in her hockey career is very used to it, she knows it's coming, and she knows she has to be ready to adjust her game for it. I said she "got herself kicked out" because she got disqualified for head contact. She wouldn't have gotten a game misconduct for pushing someone out of frustration, or a crosscheck, or a slash, or tripping someone. It was for head contact, and she knows full well that head contact will get you booted every time, but that's what she chose to do anyway. She's absolutely a team player, and is just as dynamic at setting up plays as she is at being the goal scorer herself, but she's too far into her hockey career and has too high a hockey IQ to be throwing head shots. You trip/slash/crosscheck and you get yourself two mintes...you throw a head shot and you get yourself kicked out.

                        Then the comment, Bothum got burned so bad that she got hurt. Why did she get burned bad? I think someone else had a turnover, and Bothum did what she could to save a teammate’s mistake, and ended up pulling a muscle or whatever.
                        Well...Bothun did get burned so badly that she got hurt. It was a highlight-reel move on her by the Syracuse player that probably would've burned any other goalie in any other conference, too. Regardless, I do hope Bothun is okay.

                        Comment


                        • If Zed was not posting there would be zero posts. Bartowski thanks for posting. It's going to take some playoff wins to get to 20 games which is not ideal, but a new reality with the team stumbling. Hopefully, the staff can figure out why the yo yo results lately.

                          Comment


                          • What I am saying is, I’m pretty sure the women are not trying to make mistakes on purpose. When you first posted, as a competitor things happen. There is no way either player tried to screw up.

                            Comment


                            • Penn State is at home this weekend, taking on Lindenwood in two early games at Pegula Ice Arena. Both games are being livestreamed on BTN+. Penn State needs these points, as Mercyhurst (16 points) is right behind Penn State (18 points) in the standings, just one game back.

                              Lindenwood's junior forward Morgan Neitzke leads the CHA in goals, goals per game, points per game, shots, shots per game, game winning goals, and shorthanded goals. Penn State did hold Neitzke to two goals on nine shots when they met November 3-4, so she's not unstoppable, but she's definitely someone to watch.

                              Every team in the CHA has eight more conference games, so there are 16 points left up for grabs. Robert Morris (12 points), Lindenwood (11 points), and RIT (10 points) are bouncing off each other and swapping third, fourth, and fifth places weekly. Syracuse (5 points) looks finished on paper, but we saw what they can do to mess up a top team's points. Penn State really could've used the two points they lost to them last week.

                              Mercyhurst always peaks at the end of a season, so Penn State really needs to be consistent down the stretch. Here are video and stats links for the weekend:


                              Friday, 2:00 (Eastern)
                              BTN+ Video: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/li...-state/1681824
                              Live Stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=481882
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Saturday, 1:00 (Eastern)
                              BTN+ Video: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/li...-state/1681856
                              Live Stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=481883

                              Comment


                              • Nietzke has proven last year was not a fluke. Maybe she will get a little extra attention like Janecke gets this weekend.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X