Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2023-24 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • After one, Yale is up 1-0 on Penn State. Both teams took two penalties, and shots on goal are 12-5 for Yale. The first period was all Yale, by a long shot...Penn State didn't have a shot on goal for more than the first half of the period.

    Comment


    • I have to go, but there's 9 minutes left in the second, Yale is up 2-0, and Yale leads the shots on goal 30-8. Yale is all over Penn State so far.

      Comment


      • Three blocks won't get it done for any game let alone Yale.

        ​​​​​Penn State is in good shape for the second half of the season. It took awhile for the team to find their groove after losing 7 players from last year.



        Comment


        • Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          Three blocks won't get it done for any game let alone Yale.

          ​​​​​Penn State is in good shape for the second half of the season. It took awhile for the team to find their groove after losing 7 players from last year.
          It looks like the game ended up closer than it was looking when I left. Yale was kept scoreless after halfway through the second (except for an empty-netter with 25 seconds left in the game). Yale had 28 shots on goal in the second period, and 7 shots on goal in the third, so Penn State made some kind of adjustment there. Tessa Janecke was good as always in the faceoff circle, but only had three shots on goal for the game - I thought she looked a little out of it today. Jeff Kampersal said before the game that Josie Bothun wasn't 100%, but she did well, stopping 45 of 47 shots.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

            It looks like the game ended up closer than it was looking when I left. Yale was kept scoreless after halfway through the second (except for an empty-netter with 25 seconds left in the game). Yale had 28 shots on goal in the second period, and 7 shots on goal in the third, so Penn State made some kind of adjustment there. Tessa Janecke was good as always in the faceoff circle, but only had three shots on goal for the game - I thought she looked a little out of it today. Jeff Kampersal said before the game that Josie Bothun wasn't 100%, but she did well, stopping 45 of 47 shots.
            Brianna Brooks scored off a face-off early in the 3rd to bring the score to 2-1. PSU was pushing hard but couldn't manage to score again to tie it up. Josie made some great saves and I agree, Tessa looked a little tired yesterday. It's the end of the semester with finals coming up this week so everyone is probably tired. They've got a long break coming up with the next series on January 5-6.

            Comment


            • At the half way mark:

              Janecke leads the country in faceoffs and the team in pts.
              Lobdell leads the D in goals 5 and the team in blocks.
              McCeachren leads the D in pts and assists and is second on the team in blocks.
              Stecker leads the D in +- by a wide margin.

              Bothun is having a nice season.

              The forwards are collectively producing and have taken their turns racking up stats.

              I think the coaching staff is doing a great job so far this year.



              Comment


              • Originally posted by PSUfan View Post
                ...I agree, Tessa looked a little tired yesterday. It's the end of the semester with finals coming up this week so everyone is probably tired. They've got a long break coming up with the next series on January 5-6.
                Tessa Janecke has the Team USA Rivalry Series this week, so I'm thinking maybe in game two against Yale she was kind of playing it safe and keeping something in the gas tank for that. She may have played differently if this weekend had been a conference matchup, but I can sure understand wanting to show up for this Rivalry Series at her best.

                Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                At the half way mark:

                Janecke leads the country in faceoffs and the team in pts.
                Lobdell leads the D in goals 5 and the team in blocks.
                McCeachren leads the D in pts and assists and is second on the team in blocks.
                Stecker leads the D in +- by a wide margin.

                Bothun is having a nice season.

                The forwards are collectively producing and have taken their turns racking up stats.

                I think the coaching staff is doing a great job so far this year.
                It took a little while for them to settle into lines that they were happy with, but I agree - I think the coaching staff has done well with the roster they have this year. It's been a difficult stretch for the defense with Hengelmuller being out, because that leaves them with only two full lines of defenders. Kampersal has had to move Alva Johnsson back to defense, but that means no more having four full lines of forwards. Do you want four full lines of forwards, or three full lines of defenders? Each weekend series is a choice he has to make until Hengelmuller is healthy again.

                I really like the Janecke/Retrum/Roberts top line, as young as they are (two sophomores and a freshman). I think Alyssa Machado would've been a good fit there, too, but she's a senior, and I think Stella Retrum as a freshman is being paired with Janecke to really bring out her best. She already doesn't play like a freshman, and I think her having to keep up with Janecke's play will only make her get better. Katelyn Roberts looks better this year as a sophomore, too, for the same reason (being paired with Janecke). She's not as fast as Janecke and Retrum, but she's smart and strong and has a good shot when she gets one, and is physical. I think she looks a lot better this year, and even a little quicker.

                Just an armchair quarterback opinion here, but I think when you have a player of Janecke's caliber and she's only a sophomore, it makes more sense to pair her up with equally young players so they will get years of play/chemistry together, rather than the top line having to replace a graduating senior this year, and again next year, and again the year after that, etc. If you have two younger players that match up well with Janecke, keep the three of them together and let their styles and strengths really mesh.

                Comment


                • Three weekly CHA awards for Penn State (https://gopsusports.com/news/2023/12...ly-awards.aspx)!

                  Forward of the Week: Brianna Brooks
                  Defensive Player of the Week: Lyndie Lobdell
                  Goaltender of the Week: Josie Bothun

                  Comment


                  • The portal action is way down after a number of chaotic years. It will be interesting to see if the coaching staff can get one or two fifth year players or another transfer like Brooks who will be at PSU for two years. I think this is the last year of extra eligibility so I am happy to see a nice class coming in next year and it bodes well for the program.

                    Comment


                    • Here's a quick question: what are the rules for taking a medical redshirt? I'm sure there's a cutoff at some point of the season to declare for it, right?

                      Comment


                      • Penn State is at home and back in action tonight and tomorrow against Union (6:00 PM and 1:00 PM Eastern), with both games being livestreamed on BTN+. This is Penn State's final non-conference series of the season, and a good opportunity to hit the ice and shake off the holidays before grinding out the rest of the CHA schedule. Starting the second half of the season, Penn State is leading the CHA, two games ahead of Mercyhurst.

                        Freshman defender Karolina Hengelmuller has missed exactly half of the games so far, and with a short bench it's really tied Jeff Kampersal's hands, as he's had to move Alva Johnsson back to defense to get three full lines of defenders. That's why I asked about medical redshirts, and what the rules are for that...I'm wondering if Hengelmuller qualifies for one.

                        Links for tonight and tomorrow:

                        (Friday, 6:00 PM Eastern)
                        BTN+ Video: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/li...-state/1681514
                        Live Stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=481878

                        (Saturday, 1:00 PM Eastern)
                        BTN+ Video: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/li...-state/1681537
                        Live Stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=481879

                        Comment


                        • I guessed on why you asked, I just don't have the definitive answer and was hoping that one of the stalwarts on the board would chirp in. If you ask the same question on the Wisc board, I'm sure it will be answered by multiples.

                          Comment


                          • Katie DeSa is starting in net for Penn State tonight...Bothun gets a breather....and Hengelmuller is back in the lineup.


                            Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 01-05-2024, 04:55 PM.

                            Comment


                            • After one at Penn State, it's tied 1-1 vs Union on a goal from Brianna Brooks. Shots on goal are 18-3 for Penn State, and Union took the only two penalties. Neither team looks very sharp, as expected, but Penn State looks to be a lot faster than Union. On a Josie Bothun note, I didn't see her on the bench, so hopefully she didn't get hurt in practice.

                              Comment


                              • After two, it's still tied 1-1 at Penn State. Shots on goal are 27-8 for Penn State. Union took two more penalties and Penn State took one. You can tell which team played a game four days ago and which team hasn't played in almost a month. I'm not going to pick this game apart, since it is the first one in almost a month and thankfully doesn't count for much. The hustle is there, for sure, but it almost looks like too much hustle that players aren't ready for, if that makes any sense.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X