No announcement yet.

2023-24 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was nice to see Roberts in the box score for the goal. Yesterday.

Comment

• Man, where to start? After one, it's tied 1-1 at Cornell. Shots on goal are also tied, 9-9. In the first period there were three...count 'em, three...seperate five-minute major penalties, each at different times.
      Cornell took two of them and Penn State took one, and Penn State took a regular two-minute penalty. Finally, Penn State has their first powerplay goal of the season. That was one goofy period of hockey.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-14-2023, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• After two, it's 3-2 Cornell. I'm distracted here, so that's all I have.

Comment

• The team needs to go back to putting the other teams in a grinder, but without committing the penalties or the team needs to get better at the pk. Roberts has another goal and Lobdell also scores. The team gave up a lot of goals this weekend. Another road trip next weekend with Syracuse on tap. Syracuse had massive turnover from last year, but so did Penn State so it is a guess on next weekend. About the only good news is that Colgate pounded Mercyhurst. I think the CHA will be extremely competitive within the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
            The team needs to go back to putting the other teams in a grinder, but without committing the penalties
            I couldn't agree more. The aggressive smothering style they played in recent seasons worked wonders. It's starting to look like that was a style geared toward Gangarosa, Heminger, and Uihlein, because now that they're gone so is that style of defensive play.

Another road trip next weekend with Syracuse on tap. Syracuse had massive turnover from last year, but so did Penn State, so it is a guess on next weekend.
            If Penn State can't handle the 2023-24 version of Syracuse, they're in trouble. I think they're more talented than that, though. They just need to settle on lines, let them get some chemistry going, and rethink their defensive play.

About the only good news is that Colgate pounded Mercyhurst. I think the CHA will be extremely competitive within the conference.
            I was waiting to see how that Colgate/Mercyhurst series went. I do like Mercyhurst, because they are always a great opponent, but I was relieved to see they didn't hammer Colgate, too. You're right - this year's CHA is going to be a battleground. I love that Robert Morris is back on the ice, and I hope they get back to where they were when the program was cut a couple seasons ago.

Comment

• I like the three d that graduated, I like the d Penn State has now. The grinder is not an indictment of the d, it is more a style of play that suits a team that can't put up a lot of goals. I'm wondering where the talk of the stats on when PSU scores first, the chances of winning increase by so and so. Bring back the quagmire, maybe let Janecke play a little wing and let the other teams stress out about that.
              I'm pretty sure Emma Nuitenen played wing and it was stress city. Janecke reminds me a lot of Nuitenen.

Comment

• Just announced Penn State will be coming to Columbus October 2024 to play in the Ohio State hosted Ice Breaker tournament. I'm really looking forward to an Ohio State/Penn State game and hope we get a decent amount of Penn State fans here!

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/news/2...6xac-1bINIhbUY
                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-19-2023, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  Just announced Penn State will be coming to Columbus October 2024 to play in the Ohio State hosted Ice Breaker tournament. I'm really looking forward to an Ohio State/Penn State game and hope we get a decent amount of Penn State fans here!

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/news/2...6xac-1bINIhbUY
                  That's awesome! I think Ohio State/Penn State is a natural rivalry and hope they can start playing regularly.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUfan View Post

That's awesome! I think Ohio State/Penn State is a natural rivalry and hope they can start playing regularly.
                    I couldn't agree more that it's a natural rivalry. With our men's teams being rivals it make perfect sense to feel that way about our women's teams even though they're in different conferences. With all teams having non conference games I see no reason we can't play each other one weekend a season.

Comment

• I do like the mini tournaments, PSU has played in Washington DC, Las Vegas, St Lawrence and Pittsburgh. So why not Columbus!? OSU is reloading every year and Penn State is in a rebuilding phase so it may be a bit ambitious. Kampersal seems to be copying Flanagan's playbook to a t of playing a tough out of conference schedule.

Comment

• Penn State finally gets into conference play this weekend with a CHA series at Syracuse on Saturday and Sunday. This will be a great chance for Penn State to turn on the gas and really start getting into what they're capable of, after getting pretty beat up in their non-conference early schedule. That grinder of a schedule makes for an ugly record early on, but I'm glad they choose to open the season against ranked teams instead of cupcakes. Now they've already seen the hardest opposition they're going to see, and that's prepared them to get into it with their CHA opposition.

Syracuse isn't the usual Syracuse this year, and they haven't exactly played a challenging schedule so far. They got swept by Merrimack (really?), split with RPI, got a win and a tie with BU, swept Post, and got hammered by Cornell. Penn State is not last year's Penn State, and is really having to adjust to last year's graduations and transfers, but this should be a solid sweep for them this weekend. If not, they're farther off from last year than I think they are.

Both games are on CuseTV, who usually does a great job with hockey video streams.

Comment

• Cuse TV is F R E E. Hopefully. Eastwood is still commentating. She was good at providing real analysis of the game and players. Penn State will have to watch #2.

Comment

• I was expecting the usual night game tonight and an afternoon game tomorrow, but both games are at 1:00 Eastern...sheesh! I don't know why I didn't look closer at the schedule. Anyway, here are video and stats links for today's game at Syracuse.

Video: https://cuse.com/watch/?Live=6532&type=Live

Live Stats: https://cuse.com/sidearmstats/whockey/summary

And here are the lines for today: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...293871/photo/1

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-28-2023, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• After one at Syracuse it's 0-0. Penn State leads the shots on goal 16-5, and there were no penalties. Penn State is all over Syracuse so far, and much faster.

Comment

• After two, it's Penn State up 2-0 on goals from Julie Gough and Leah Stecker. Penn State took the only penalty of the period. For a lot of the second period it looked like Penn State was on the power play...lots of extended time in the offensive zone. Shots on goal are 31-11 for Penn State.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-28-2023, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X