2023-24 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LBartowski View Post
    On a side note, I didn’t notice Janecke taking any swings. Definitely shoved a couple girls, but if you notice, the NE players were all over her and she just doesn’t fall, like most players would. I’m sure it’s pretty frustrating when teams are constantly hacking at you. I think she had 1 penalty today, but it was after the game ended and it looked like an NE girl was in Bothum’s face and she shoved her away. Of course the girl fell down. I couldn’t really see, and I actually thought it was Garcia. It must have been 15 because she was in the box score. She is just way stronger than most girls.
    The stats have Janecke with two minor penalties and one five-minute major in the weekend series, and in the second game the announcers talked about there having been a major penalty at the end of the first game, whatever it was for...I didn't see that one. Any idea what that was all about? I saw the shove at the end of game two, but I think the Northeastern player should have been gone and done yapping at Bothun before Janecke ever showed up. I love that Janecke is as strong as she is and I love that she isn't going to take anybody's crap, but she needs to use it smartly, too, because teams are going to key on her all season long. She's already a force - if she can add physicality to it that doesn't put her in the box, watch out.

After the first period of game one, this was a great series from Penn State to open the season, especially for not having had the benefit of an exhibition game this year. They made their adjustments after that first period, and from then to the end of game two they looked like themselves again. There's always something to tweak at the start of a season, but I thought they looked really good. If Leah Stecker stays on the top line with Janecke and Julie Gough, it's going to be fun to see what that does for her own game.

Northeastern has a really good goalie in Gwyneth Philips. She's going to be key to whatever success they have this season.

Comment

• Chris Mackenzie will have UConn ready in what should be another entertaining weekend. I'm certain he is studying the tape from this past Northeastern weekend.

Comment

• Penn State moved up to #10 after this weekend's series at Northeastern: (edit - Twitter links don't seem to work anymore here)

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 09-26-2023, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Penn State is at home against UConn tomorrow and Saturday, before a long stretch of road games that won't see them back at Pegula Ice Arena again until December 1. The games are streaming on BTN+, and like ESPN+ (and unlike FloHockey) they have pretty cheap subscription packages available.

BTN+ school-specific pass is $9.95 per month.
          BTN+ conference-specific pass is $14.95 per month.
          BTN+ hockey-only pass is $59.95 per year (WCHA hockey-only is $49.95 per year)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Links for video and stats this weekend:

Video Stream Friday 6:00 (Eastern):
          https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/li...-state/1646062

Live Stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=481872

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Video Stream Saturday (2:00 Eastern):

https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/li...-state/1646064

Live Stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=481873

Comment

• Jeff Kampersal was on tonight's Penn State Coaches Show: https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=1904&type=Live

(goes from 8:40-17:32, then a commercial break, then goes again from 21:20-28:05)

Comment

• Since Twitter links don't work, here's tonight's lineup against UConn. Game starts at 6:00 Eastern on BTN+.

14-Julie Gough - 15-Tessa Janecke - 10-Leah Stecker
              9-Lexi Bedier - 19-Mya Vaslet - 3-Alyssa Machado
              26-Maddy Christian - 16-Brianna Brooks - 22-Katelyn Roberts
              18-Stella Retrum - 4-Maeve Connolly - 11-Alva Johnsson

23-Karolina Hengelmuller - 24-Lyndie Lobdell
              17-Kendall Butze - 5-Karley Garcia
              21-Maggie MacEachern

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 09-29-2023, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• No score after one period of play at Penn State. Both teams took a penalty, and Penn State leads the shots on goal by 7-6. UConn had some chances and they looked good, but Penn State (like in the Northeastern series) started settling down late in that first period after a kind of sloppy start, and started getting chances of their own. It's a good game so far, and looks like a decent crowd at the arena.

Comment

• Still scoreless after two periods. Penn State took the only penalty of the period, and they lead the shots on goal by 17-15. Josie Bothun came up big in that period. Penn State is getting some good chances, but the chances are way too few and far between. They're not getting a whole lot of extended time in the offensive zone, so they need to figure something out there.

Comment

• Ouch...UConn takes the win by a score of 2-0. UConn took the only penalty of the third period, and Penn State led the shots on goal by 33-27. Man...Penn State never got any sustained offense going, and UConn was much more physical than the usually physical Penn State, and that was surprising to see. It also looked like when UConn got the puck up ahead they had a lot more open ice to work with, much more so than Penn State did when they moved the puck up ice. Passing also wasn't a strong suit for Penn State tonight. Ugh...they just didn't seem to click in this one. I don't know what Jeff Kampersal will come up with for game two, but I hope he's got some plans.

Comment

• UConn plays the way PSU used to play, they put you in the grinder. On to tomorrow! PSU is going to have work extra hard tomorrow to right things. And a little puck luck would be nice too.

Comment

• Very nice, loud crowd of 1413 for the season opener. 7th largest crowd in program history. Penn State had some good chances but there's definitely still work to do early in the season on the offense with the new lines. Josie made some great saves. Rene Gangarosa, Izzy Heminger, Mallory Uihlein, and Courtney Correia were there for the banner raising and did the ceremonial puck drop which was nice to see.

Comment

• Here are the lines for game two against UConn at 2:00 Eastern, and wow...talk about a shakeup!

26-Maddy Christian - 15-Tessa Janecke - 22-Katelyn Roberts
                          11-Alva Johnsson - 19-Mya Vaslet - 3-Alyssa Machado
                          14-Julie Gough - 16-Brianna Brooks - 10-Leah Stecker
                          18-Stella Retrum - 4-Maeve Connolly - 9-Lexi Bedier

23-Karolina Hengelmuller - 24-Lyndie Lobdell
                          17-Kendall Butze - 5-Karley Garcia
                          21-Maggie MacEachern

BTN+ Video Stream: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/li...-state/1646064

Live Stats: https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=481873

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 09-30-2023, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                            Here are the lines for game two against UConn at 2:00 Eastern, and wow...talk about a shakeup!

26-Maddy Christian - 15-Tessa Janecke - 22-Katelyn Roberts
                            11-Alva Johnsson - 19-Mya Vaslet - 3-Alyssa Machado
                            14-Julie Gough - 16-Brianna Brooks - 10-Leah Stecker
                            18-Stella Retrum - 4-Maeve Connolly - 9-Lexi Bedier
                            Given the lack of offense in the first 3 games, a shake-up was probably needed. Roberts was playing well yesterday so curious to see how she does playing with Janecke.

Comment

• After one, it's UConn up 1-0 on a power play goal. Tessa Janecke took the only penalty of the period, and Penn State leads the shots on goal by 10-7. No further comment, Your Honor.

Comment

• Still 1-0 UConn after two periods. UConn took two penalties and Penn State took one. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 22-12. Penn State started looking better in that period, but passing drills might be the order of the day this coming week.

Comment

Working...
                                X