No announcement yet.

2023-24 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU dominated the 2nd and 3rd, and physically dominated NE, but had a sloppy first period that cost them the game. Too many penalties in a row. Seemed like the NE players are just not a strong physically. Hopefully, Penn State wins tomorrow.

Comment

• Also penn state missed probably 10 passes that would have led to shots on goal but ended up as turnovers or icing. Frustrating first game, but they will be good when they put it together.

Comment

• Bartowski - you predicted Stecker on the Janecke Gough line and you are Nostradamus. 5 d is also a bit of a surprise, but not unprecedented.

Comment

• I predicted stecker was going to play D. But i do remember her playing with the janecke line last year when gough missed a game.

Comment

• Ok, i predicted she would play D or on Janecke line.

Comment

• Today's lineup: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...713008/photo/1

Streaming video link: https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/...7-b985c71525b3

Live stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broad...NTI3MC4wLjAuMA..

Comment

• Like yesterday, after one it's Northeastern up 1-0 on a late goal. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 17-6, Northeastern took two penalties, and Penn State took one. Unlike yesterday's first period, Penn State looks like they picked up right where they left off. After the first few minutes of back and forth, Penn State spent a lot of time in Northeastern's zone. Passing is much better than yesterday's first period, and there's a lot of physical play going on. We'll see what adjustments they make for the second period.

Comment

• After two, it's still Northeastern up 1-0. Both teams took one penalty, and Penn State leads the shots on goal by 26-18. Northeastern looked better in the second, but Penn State is getting their chances, too.

Comment

• Penn State takes the win by a score of 2-1, on goals from Leah Stecker and Alyssa Machado. No penalties in the third, and Penn State led the shots on goal by 39-30 and dominated the third period.

Comment

• That is a good split with Northeastern. If not for the undisciplined penalty in game 1, it could have potentially been a sweep. I'm surprised to see Johnsson on forward, as I thought she's be a good replacement for Gangarosa on the blue line, and bring some size on defense. Northeastern didn't seem to have much offensively, but not surprising given they lost 50% of their scoring to graduation.

Comment

• Great win! The link to the lineups is not working, was it the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                          Great win! The link to the lineups is not working, was it the same?
                          Lineups were the same for Game 2. I was also a little surprised Johnsson isn't playing defense. We'll see if there are any adjustments to the lineups for week 2 against UConn.

Great win for Penn State today!! PSU game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2023/9/...stern-2-1.aspx
                          Last edited by PSUfan; 09-24-2023, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vintagejersey View Post
                            That is a good split with Northeastern. If not for the undisciplined penalty in game 1, it could have potentially been a sweep. I'm surprised to see Johnsson on forward, as I thought she'd be a good replacement for Gangarosa on the blue line, and bring some size on defense. Northeastern didn't seem to have much offensively, but not surprising given they lost 50% of their scoring to graduation.
                            I was surprised seeing Alva Johnsson at forward, too. I really thought she was brought in to plug up the defense a bit. Karolina Hengelmuller looked fine on defense in her first two NCAA games, and it's way too early to critique, but I do hope she gets just a bit quicker to loose pucks. I thought Kendall Butze had a really good weekend for the defense.

I agree about Northeastern's offense - it was good in spurts, but certainly not scary, and I'd be surprised if they stay at #5 for much longer. It's got to be hard to rebound from losing the forwards they lost from last season.

Tessa Janecke was taking swings and giving shoves today like it was a beer league game. She must have had a very good idea of exactly how far she could push her luck. I like a good physical game, but she was really testing the waters today. She got a few chances, but that Northeastern goalie is a good one.

Comment

• I had a chance to watch the goals on Twitter and Stecker has made the sophomore jump, that was a strong stick goal. The second goal was textbook, Vaslet went wide, Bedier drove the net and Machado streamed towards the weak side post. I noticed Lobdell had four blocks.

Penn State continues to do well against Hockey East teams.

Comment

• The Vaslet to Machado play was fantastic. PSU looked stronger and faster than NE. Their goalie kept them in it. Of course Bothum made some great saves as well that helped us. Overall, in the 6 periods, I thought NE was only better in roughly 1.5 of 6.
                                On a side note, I didn’t notice Janecke taking any swings. Definitely shoved a couple girls, but if you notice, the NE players were all over her and she just doesn’t fall, like most players would. I’m sure it’s pretty frustrating when teams are constantly hacking at you. I think she had 1 penalty today, but it was after the game ended and it looked like an NE girl was in Bothum’s face and she shoved her away. Of course the girl fell down. I couldn’t really see, and I actually thought it was Garcia. It must have been 15 because she was in the box score. She is just way stronger than most girls.

Comment

Working...
                                X