• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Originally posted by LongGame View Post

Very little.
    I've never known the extremely wealthy who sit on the boards of any university who don't wield tremendous influence either openly or behind the scenes. Les Wexner was practically the uncrowned king of Ohio State. Thankfully he's been conspicuously absent since his buddy Epstein was exposed.

Leave a comment:

• LongGame
    replied
    Here is a story about the Ilitchs and downtown Detroit:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...wn/2636965002/
    Last edited by LongGame; 04-09-2024, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vicb
    replied

Ilitch made the statement announcing the "exploratory committee" or whatever to start this whole discussion a few weeks ago, right? If she/her family really wanted this to happen, wouldn't she have also announced that they were putting up the money?
    Why not wait until the "exploratory committee" comes up with a cost and then have a stiff drink and if your serious open up the check book and write the check.

Leave a comment:

• LongGame
    replied
    Originally posted by spwood View Post

Maybe, but the money talks, right? I mean if that family is pushing the discussion forward, aren't we all expecting them to be Michigan's Pegula?
    Ilitch made the statement announcing the "exploratory committee" or whatever to start this whole discussion a few weeks ago, right? If she/her family really wanted this to happen, wouldn't she have also announced that they were putting up the money?

Leave a comment:

• spwood
    replied

Very little.
    Maybe, but the money talks, right? I mean if that family is pushing the discussion forward, aren't we all expecting them to be Michigan's Pegula?
    Last edited by spwood; 04-09-2024, 07:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LongGame
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

There's one certainty in Universities and sports and that's traditions and what some think are needs can change at any giving moment. Tell me, how much power behind the scenes does Illich wield at UM?
    Very little.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

There is not "plenty of room" on the south side of Yost to build, and they never would sacrifice that small parking lot that is used by the Michigan Football big-wigs for Schembechler Hall. Parking in Ann Arbor is a disaster already. Get real.
    There's one certainty in Universities and sports and that's traditions and what some think are needs can change at any giving moment. Tell me, how much power behind the scenes does Illich wield at UM?

Leave a comment:

• LongGame
    replied
    Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

They'd play at The Cube out on Scio Church Road. The chances of the Michigan athletic department considering this to be a permanent are indistinguishable from zero, but they'd likely okay it being a temporary solution while an arena is under construction.

I also suspect that $20 million is on the low end of what it would take. That's about what it cost to build Ridder Arena two decades ago.
    The Cube is now owned by the investment fund Black Bear Sports Group. They are notorious for raising prices for hockey and letting their buildings deteriorate. They may be a difficult partner for UM considering necessary rink renovations for locker rooms and security, ice scheduling, and the like.

Leave a comment:

• BadgerPete
    replied
    Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

I also suspect that $20 million is on the low end of what it would take. That's about what it cost to build Ridder Arena two decades ago.
    LaBahn cost $34 million ten years ago, so that's probably the newer low end.

Leave a comment:

• JDHack51
    replied
    Originally posted by StPaulSam View Post

assuming they do it and go all in (ie., building a women's arena), given where they are in the process, I'll bet they don't have a team on the ice before the 2028-2029 season. And no arena before 2029-2030. I guess they'd have to play at the community rink in Ann Arbor if some kind of temporary accommodation can't be made at Yost. And this only happens of course if someone (ie., the Ilitch family) cough up $10-20 million.
    I agree, this seems years away at best and only with a large donation. Perhaps before the next solar eclipse in the US! I did enjoy the article, gave some good perspective and I'm always for the growth of the game. Checked out the NMU feasibility study from 2019, just for fun. Would be neat to eventually compare the two just to see what's changed and emphasized.

Leave a comment:

• Still Eeyore
    replied

assuming they do it and go all in (ie., building a women's arena), given where they are in the process, I'll bet they don't have a team on the ice before the 2028-2029 season. And no arena before 2029-2030. I guess they'd have to play at the community rink in Ann Arbor if some kind of temporary accommodation can't be made at Yost. And this only happens of course if someone (ie., the Ilitch family) cough up $10-20 million.
    They'd play at The Cube out on Scio Church Road. The chances of the Michigan athletic department considering this to be a permanent are indistinguishable from zero, but they'd likely okay it being a temporary solution while an arena is under construction.

Leave a comment:

• LongGame
    replied

From the story it looks like College Hockey Inc may be the ones to do the proposed feasibility study. I've said it before, in lieu of a new arena there's plenty of room to build an addition on the south end of Yost It could even be a sperate building housing the locker room's and weight/conditioning room and connect it to Yost with a short breezeway. That way it wouldn't impede on Yost's "iconic" image. I wonder if that would be included in the feasibility study?
    There is not "plenty of room" on the south side of Yost to build, and they never would sacrifice that small parking lot that is used by the Michigan Football big-wigs for Schembechler Hall. Parking in Ann Arbor is a disaster already. Get real.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

From the story it looks like College Hockey Inc may be the ones to do the proposed feasibility study. I've said it before, in lieu of a new arena there's plenty of room to build an addition on the south end of Yost It could even be a sperate building housing the locker room's and weight/conditioning room and connect it to Yost with a short breezeway. That way it wouldn't impede on Yost's "iconic" image. I wonder if that would be included in the feasibility study?

Leave a comment:

• StPaulSam
    replied
    Here's a new story on Michigan getting a woman's team. It's quite long and extensive.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/202...ange-that.html

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Here's a new story on Michigan getting a woman's team. It's quite long and extensive.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/202...ange-that.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X