Michigan Getting a Women's Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tedlasso View Post
    I think this is a long way off at this point. While many of the higher ups are behind starting a womens team in principle, the Title IX implications are substantial. If Michigan adds a womens hockey team of say 30 players, they have to either add something on the mens side or eliminate something on the mens or womens side. Assuming that Michigan is currently in Title IX compliance, which I have to assume they are, adding a team brings with it more complications than just the rink situation.
    Unless the rules require something added on the men's side financially equivalent to women's hockey it could be something as cheap as a dart team if you get my meaning.
    Michigan whined for years they don't have the money for women's hockey but that's just an excuse, not only do they have the money but no doubt the Illich family would be quite generous towards facilities. I think the University was finally taking public, media & alumni criticism seriously for not having women's hockey and can no longer give adequate justification for not having it. It also probably galla them seeing Ohio State win those Natty's! LOL!

Comment

With the Illitch's involved, this is inevitable, as it should be. It's a bad look for any major university with a men's team to not have a women's team. Notre Dame and Michigan State should be looking at it too. UND is just a joke that they got rid of their program.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

No one is stopping those teams from getting stronger.
        Harder to attract the best players when they don't have the money that Ohio State, Wisco, or Gophers do. And I don't just mean facilities but also academic support/reputation, nutrition, psych support etc. And if you had the choice between going to Ohio State and Bemidji, knowing that you have a very small chance of playing in the PWHL and need to worry about getting a job after college and knowing you'd get a more prestigious degree at OSU, well, I think it'd be an easy choice. And I say this, I would love if Bemidji could have a strong team where they challenge for the top each season. It'd benefit everyone.

Alas, poor Bemidji...
        RowTheBoatSkiUMahGoGophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Fathead View Post
          With the Illitch's involved, this is inevitable, as it should be.
          The Illich's are as much a power behind the throne at UM as Wexner is at Ohio State.

Comment

It also probably galls them seeing Ohio State win those Natty's! LOL!
            I was thinking that before reading your post. It was an easy sport to ignore when nonthreatening B.T. schools were winning titles, along with UMD and Clarkson. But if tOSU can start listing them, it's lucky that they have that FB championship to ride for the next decade.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Comment

Stuff's getting real - even the little Press Republican in Plattsburgh, NY had an article on Michigan starting a women's team in our local paper...
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                  Stuff's getting real - even the little Press Republican in Plattsburgh, NY had an article on Michigan starting a women's team in our local paper...
                  Very cool!
                  The best part is as women's college hockey grows it also spills over and enhanced girls youth hockey and the opportunities for the young ladies. It's a win win!

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    I wonder if the Mankatos and Bemidjis of the world are as 'fond' of the WCHA. Maybe they'd like a WCHA that isn't dominated by the same few teams every year. I guess the problem might be Duluth; would they dominate, or would the others catch up to them?
                    They would love to see the bIG schools leave the league. It gives them hope. It might also keep more Minnesota talent in Minnesota because you don't have to go to the ECAC to have a chance to play in the NCAA if you not recruited by the big three, though an Ivy degree looks way better than a state of Minnesota degree, but it probably costs 10 times as much.

I think once Michigan gets going they should join the CHA and so should tosu. This would give the Wcha or more non conference games to play which were all in favor of.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

They would love to see the bIG schools leave the league. It gives them hope.

I think once Michigan gets going they should join the CHA and so should tosu. This would give the Wcha or more non conference games to play which were all in favor of.
                      If a B1G conference formed them there would be an additional automatic conference seed in the NCAA tournament, wouldn't that be interesting to have an earned seed gone?

Given the success of the Muzzinator I can see why you'd like OSU out of the WCHA but I think we're good where we are. We LIKE beating you! (Big Grin)

Comment

If a B1G conference formed them there would be an additional automatic conference seed in the NCAA tournament, wouldn't that be interesting to have an earned seed gone?

Given the success of the Muzzinator I can see why you'd like OSU out of the WCHA but I think we're good where we are. We LIKE beating you! (Big Grin)
                        A B1G auto bid would only "take away" an "earned bid" if there were an upset winner in a conference tournament. And that's no different than what happens in the WCHA now. That is, Minnesota/Ohio State/Wisconsin wins the conference tournament but would have gotten in anyway, being ranked in the top eight in the Pairwise. The "earned bid" being "taken away" would be the winner of the left-over WCHA conference not always being top eight in the Pairwise.

Maybe that's what you meant, but it felt like it needed a little clarification.

(And once again, if we count from Ohio State's first frozen four in 2018, the WCHA auto-bid has gone to Wisconsin three times, Minnesota twice, and Ohio State twice. This year, Wisconsin won it.)

Comment

I think some of the “west is best” dialogue is better represented by “the B1G ten teams have taken over.”

We’re probably looking at 5 years out at least for a Michigan team if they approve and have to build a rink, yes? Unless there is a temporary solution.

It’s amazing how you can draw a line between the PW debuting and the regents calling for a feasibility study. There’s no PW without a century of other things happening but boy is it nice to have a somewhat visible, powerful entity in the womens hockey sphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            LOL

Of course, there is no B1G women's hockey conference until two new programs startup. Without the sixth team, there's no autobid.

As for the WCHA, I think they keep their AQ for a two-year probationary period, and then if they can't get back up to six teams, they lose it (remember the men's CHA when they were down to four teams). (One of the reasons the CHA worked so hard to get another team in -- Delaware in this case -- was because they were one team from leaving away from losing their autobid.)
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                              It’s amazing how you can draw a line between the PW debuting and the regents calling for a feasibility study. There’s no PW without a century of other things happening but boy is it nice to have a somewhat visible, powerful entity in the womens hockey sphere.
                              And the fact the PWHL game in Detroit was a huge success producing rumors Detroit is on the top of the expansion list. Some people at Michigan want to strike while the iron is hot.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                                I think some of the “west is best” dialogue is better represented by “the B1G ten teams have taken over.”
                                That probably because those schools have better resources but that being said it's curious Penn State hasn't been more of a contender.

Comment

Working...
                                X