Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Getting a Women's Team?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

    I think charging them ice time and not providing them a trainer to keep them safe/compliant is shameful, considering the resources at the school and cultural significance of hockey in the state.

    so often there is in between ground, yet those in power refuse to meet people halfway. Hopefully the new president can at least address some of the pain points, even if a D1 program is not likely. As the article shared stated, it’s not that they don’t have a D1 program, it’s that even at the club level their support from their institution is lacking.
    Originally posted by NMH View Post
    The shameful part comes in when you look at the things they are spending massive amounts of money on, like a recent $14 million green space on campus or $41 million for a new scoreboard at the football field. Yes, football makes money, but they're selling out with the "old" scoreboard they have.

    That feels absolutely unconscionable will the women's club hockey team is PAYING the university to rent ice at Yost.
    I agree with both of you - by the sounds if it, Michigan could and should do more to support their women's club team.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post

      Penn State's facilities were built explicitly with the intention of housing both a men's and women's team. That is not true of Yost Arena in Ann Arbor. Now, there are definitely other schools which host both men's and women's teams in buildings which were built before the NCAA sponsored women's hockey. Mankato and St. Cloud are examples of that. So it's definitely possible, at least in some cases. That said, I don't know anything about the particulars of Yost myself, other than the fact that it's quite an old building. Maybe there would be a way to make it work with two teams there. I imagine at minimum it would require some pricey renovations to Yost to expand the facility. I take at face value UM's claims that at the very minimum it would be a logistical challenge for them.
      I'll buy logistical challenge. But overall, the locker room argument is pretty disingenuous. Note that Yost has hosted six team Men's Hockey Regionals in the past. Quite honestly, the entire line of reasoning that "the girls can't play, there's no locker room, end of conversation" should have been dead and buried long ago. Like back in the 1970's. Dead and buried everywhere, not just Michigan.

      Granted, change takes time. Expensive change can take a lot of time. But then again, twenty-five years is a lot of time.

      All that said, I have some familiarity with Yost. I played in the USCHO Posters Game when it was held there. I've visited as a fan several times, including at one of the above mentioned regionals. It's a great venue, but it is a historic facility. The logistical challenges & expenses would undoubtedly be greater at Yost than at Mankato or St. Cloud. But if the will had been there to sponsor a varsity program, a solution could have been found.

      I don't think it's shameful that the University of Michigan doesn't sponsor a varsity women's team.
      Very slippery of you. Or maybe an honest mistake in your reading? My comment was that the way the current Club Team is being treated is shameful. I didn't apply the word shame to the failure to sponsor a varsity team. This is just a flat-out misquote.

      EDIT: Just read your separate response to Lindsay & Nicole. Thank you.

      Hockey programs require a lot of university resources to run, and universities, even those as big as Michigan, have limited resources. Someone else mentioned above that a few years ago they decided to add men's and women's lacrosse in part because it was a much cheaper way for them to add additional athletic opportunities to their university. That seems pretty reasonable to me. It's massively disappointing that they don't have a varsity women's team in Ann Arbor; it would be a great place for it. But I'd stop well short of calling it shameful.
      Again, your comment is damaged by the misquote. But setting that aside, I can entertain the rest of your argument. If one particular school simply doesn't want to sponsor Women's D-1 Hockey, maybe the rest of us ought to accept that and move on. But the demand for at least one Women's D-1 in the State of Michigan is there. Regardless of which school winds up being the solution.
      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 03-26-2023, 02:48 PM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        “Of the 12 teams in the Central Collegiate Women’s Hockey Association (CCWHA), seven receive significant university funding, while five receive none. Michigan’s team falls into the latter category.“

        from the article PGB shared. I mean for people not associated with the big ten all we hear is how great it is. Muzerall just finished saying her crew gets treated like NHL players. How are people supposed to take this? I can understand why people describe it as shameful.
        The article comes from the UM Student Newspaper. Credit for finding it goes to HockeyBuckeye.

        Of course I agree with and appreciate your comments.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Very slippery of you. Or maybe an honest mistake in your reading? My comment was that the way the current Club Team is being treated is shameful. I didn't apply the word shame to the failure to sponsor a varsity team. This is just a flat-out misquote.
          I wasn't intentionally trying to be slippery, or misquote you - you are absolutely right that I was making a distinct, albeit tangential point to yours. And I did borrow the word "shameful" from you, but I am aware I was using it to make a different point. Sorry, I see why that was misleading and I should have written more carefully. I wasn't trying to be disingenuous or twist your words.

          As for the feasibility of adding a D1 women's team at Yost, I'd imagine that the issues boil down to more than just locker room access. I would guess there are multiple things that have prevented it from ever being seriously considered. But I don't know for sure, and I admit that I'm into the realm of speculation now. The only people that I would trust to know for sure what the issues are that have prevented UM from seriously considering adding a women's team for so long would be those employed by the UM athletic department.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

            Penn State makes the shared facility work.
            Yes, because it was built with having both a men's and a women's team in mind. I will repeat: there is not enough locker room space for Michigan to have a women's play at Yost. It. Does. Not. Exist. If Michigan adds women's hockey, they will have to play at the Cube, which is suboptimal for multiple reasons, or they will have to build a new arena.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post


              I agree with both of you - by the sounds if it, Michigan could and should do more to support their women's club team.
              The University of Michigan has a policy that it does not support club sports with University funds or resources. This is not something that is limited to the women's hockey club team.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                I'll buy logistical challenge. But overall, the locker room argument is pretty disingenuous. Note that Yost has hosted six team Men's Hockey Regionals in the past. Quite honestly, the entire line of reasoning that "the girls can't play, there's no locker room, end of conversation" should have been dead and buried long ago. Like back in the 1970's. Dead and buried everywhere, not just Michigan.
                You do not know what you are talking about. At all. Among other things, in the twenty years since Yost last hosted an NCAA regional, they remodeled in order to add more seating. They have enlarged the existing locker rooms, which were substandard until they did.

                There is not enough locker room space for a women's team. They could not add locker room space without spending millions of dollars and eliminating fan capacity.

                None of the arenas people are talking about that have a men's and a women's team playing there are less than 40 years old. They were built in an era when having extra locker rooms in order to be able to have other events, including youth hockey tournaments as well as multiple varsity was a part of the plan. Yost was built exactly 100 years ago, as a basketball arena. It does not have the room or the facilities that people are imagining.

                Michigan chose to add multiple sports offering more athletic opportunities instead of women's hockey. No one has yet to provide any sort of rationale, let alone a convincing one, for why this was a bad choice. Mostly, you all just seem to think that they should provide everything. You don't even bother to justify why it is morally imperative that they add women's hockey rather than any of the other, myriad sports that they could add, for less money. You just assume that it is obvious that women's hockey deserves priority.

                You aren't concerned with what would be best for the university or what would offer the most opportunities. You are just arguing that your own narrow, parochial, selfish interests should take priority over those considerations. The University of Michigan does not start from the same assumptions that you do, and they, not you, are correct in the breadth of their thinking.
                Last edited by Still Eeyore; 03-26-2023, 07:14 PM.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

                  The University of Michigan has a policy that it does not support club sports with University funds or resources. This is not something that is limited to the women's hockey club team.
                  There are a lot of schools like this. They consider club sports just that -- a club. In fact when I first heard schools did fund club sports teams (like Penn State back in the day), I was surprised.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

                    You do not know what you are talking about. At all. Among other things, in the twenty years since Yost last hosted an NCAA regional, they remodeled in order to add more seating. They have enlarged the existing locker rooms, which were substandard until they did.

                    There is not enough locker room space for a women's team. They could not add locker room space without spending millions of dollars and eliminating fan capacity.

                    None of the arenas people are talking about that have a men's and a women's team playing there are less than 40 years old. They were built in an era when having extra locker rooms in order to be able to have other events, including youth hockey tournaments as well as multiple varsity was a part of the plan. Yost was built exactly 100 years ago, as a basketball arena. It does not have the room or the facilities that people are imagining.

                    Michigan chose to add multiple sports offering more athletic opportunities instead of women's hockey. No one has yet to provide any sort of rationale, let alone a convincing one, for why this was a bad choice. Mostly, you all just seem to think that they should provide everything. You don't even bother to justify why it is morally imperative that they add women's hockey rather than any of the other, myriad sports that they could add, for less money. You just assume that it is obvious that women's hockey deserves priority.

                    You aren't concerned with what would be best for the university or what would offer the most opportunities. You are just arguing that your own narrow, parochial, selfish interests should take priority over those considerations. The University of Michigan does not start from the same assumptions that you do, and they, not you, are correct in the breadth of their thinking.
                    I started this thread by reporting the fact that DISCUSSIONS are taking place at UM for a women's hockey program. I hoped to start people to voice their own perspectives but you seem to be somewhat critical of some here freely expressing their views while having no problem expressing yours? There's nothing to get critical about.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

                      I started this thread by reporting the fact that DISCUSSIONS are taking place at UM for a women's hockey program. I hoped to start people to voice their own perspectives but you seem to be somewhat critical of some here freely expressing their views while having no problem expressing yours? There's nothing to get critical about.
                      When is Wisconsin going to reinstate baseball?
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post

                        When is Wisconsin going to reinstate baseball?
                        Never. For a dozen good, interrelated reasons (that we will not be discussing here, for everyone's sake.)

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

                          There is not enough locker room space for a women's team. They could not add locker room space without spending millions of dollars and eliminating fan capacity.
                          I'm not that sure about that statement. There are still 4 lockers on ice level- the men's team is up on the 2nd level, and none of these lockers were impacted by any of the seating changes after 1996- when that end of Yost was redone. And up until recently, all of the visitor lockers were among those lockers. So, IMHO, it's feasible to remodel two of them that are next to each other into one larger one. I know there are 4 of them down there- used for other game renting of the rink (pgb may remember using those lockers back in 2010 when we had the posters game). The big deal would be to make it larger than the visitors locker on the other end of the rink.

                          And the ice time that are used for non UM hockey would be thinned out considerably with a women's team.

                          Office space would not be a big deal- there were two other team offices among the hockey offices until the athletic campus was redone a few years ago.

                          The one thing that might be a problem is sharing the workout space- but if the women's team is game, the facilities about a mile south of there are light years more modern anyway.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

                            There is not enough locker room space for a women's team. They could not add locker room space without spending millions of dollars and eliminating fan capacity.
                            I had concerns about locker and equipment space too but the south end of Yost is a parking lot. It would be feasible to build an extension onto that end of Yost to accommodate those needs and it wouldn't have to extend very far out and could have it's exterior made to match Yost's so it would blend in well.
                            Ohio State is spending 2.7 million just for the planning and design of the new women's arena and the building cost is estimated to be in excess of 75 million at least.
                            Michigan can add onto Yost for a fraction of that and problem solved.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              Ohio State is spending 2.7 million just for the planning and design of the new women's arena and the building cost is estimated to be in excess of 75 million at least.
                              Michigan can add onto Yost for a fraction of that and problem solved.
                              UM could do that, and I'm sure we would all be very pleased by it as hockey fans. But it surely would still cost a lot of money, and it brings us back to Eeyore's point (which I agree with) that theres no moral imperative for them to take on such a project, and that they presumably have good reasons for having pursued other opportunities instead in recent years. It's really not up to any of us to decide how the University of Michigan can best use their money.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post

                                UM could do that, and I'm sure we would all be very pleased by it as hockey fans. But it surely would still cost a lot of money, and it brings us back to Eeyore's point (which I agree with) that theres no moral imperative for them to take on such a project, and that they presumably have good reasons for having pursued other opportunities instead in recent years. It's really not up to any of us to decide how the University of Michigan can best use their money.
                                As far as accommodating a women's team I'm only speculating on what could be done with Yost. Others would be more knowledgeable than me on what other options might be available.
                                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-26-2023, 11:57 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X