No announcement yet.

Transfer Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes . Crowley Cahill is in the portal. They all want out of BC. Team will not be good next year. Maybe the worst team they have had at BC in 20 years.

Comment

• Colgate forward Sammy Smigliani and UMaine Center Morgan Trimper to BC. Both Grad transfers

Comment

• Originally posted by Njjasper14 View Post
        Colgate forward Sammy Smigliani and UMaine Center Morgan Trimper to BC. Both Grad transfers
        It seems like one and done on the transfers is becoming more and more common.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

It seems like one and done on the transfers is becoming more and more common.
          It's COVID years working their way through and out of 'the system'. This year and next, and it should largely done. Then the only available grad transfer "one and done" will be red shirts and medical hardships.

Comment

• I'm sure BC had moolah. It makes sense to go for the dough.

Comment

• Rebecca Vanstone heads to Northeastern with one more year of eligibility, per the info available online. This would be because she missed almost all of this past season and, I believe, would not be eligible, as a graduate student, to play at Yale. She is a significant goal-scorer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post
                Rebecca Vanstone heads to Northeastern with one more year of eligibility, per the info available online. This would be because she missed almost all of this past season and, I believe, would not be eligible, as a graduate student, to play at Yale. She is a significant goal-scorer.
                I'm not sure she would have eligibility at all for 2023-24.

Her freshman year was 2018-19. That would mean her five-year clock runs out as of 2022-23. And because she was at Yale and Yale didn't participate in the COVID year, she doesn't qualify for a COVID year extension or 'time out' of the five year clock. MAYBE she can count 20-21 as a 'red shirt' year and then qualify for a sixth year because of medical hardship for 22-23?

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

I'm not sure she would have eligibility at all for 2023-24.

Her freshman year was 2018-19. That would mean her five-year clock runs out as of 2022-23. And because she was at Yale and Yale didn't participate in the COVID year, she doesn't qualify for a COVID year extension or 'time out' of the five year clock. MAYBE she can count 20-21 as a 'red shirt' year and then qualify for a sixth year because of medical hardship for 22-23?
                  Yeah, she has no COVID year to use. So, I think she may be qualifying for an additional year because of hardship/injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post

Yeah, she has no COVID year to use. So, I think she may be qualifying for an additional year because of hardship/injury.
                    But she would only qualify for that if the NCAA lets her count 20-21 as a 'red shirt' year. And I just don't know if the NCAA would do that. The idea was if you don't participate in 20-21, you get no 'consideration' for that year. I simply don't know which way they would treat it. Maybe they've softened up on the whole thing. It will be an interesting 'case'.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

But she would only qualify for that if the NCAA lets her count 20-21 as a 'red shirt' year. And I just don't know if the NCAA would do that. The idea was if you don't participate in 20-21, you get no 'consideration' for that year. I simply don't know which way they would treat it. Maybe they've softened up on the whole thing. It will be an interesting 'case'.
                      Many of the Ivy League players just didn't go to school at all that year, so it wouldn't count as anything. They stayed home, trained, and saved that year - knowing they wouldn't get it back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckluck89 View Post

Many of the Ivy League players just didn't go to school at all that year, so it wouldn't count as anything. They stayed home, trained, and saved that year - knowing they wouldn't get it back.
                        But once the clock starts, the clock starts. It can't be paused. It doesn't matter whether you don't attend school for a year.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

But once the clock starts, the clock starts. It can't be paused. It doesn't matter whether you don't attend school for a year.
                          Are you sure? If you don't go to school at all, it's not a year of eligibility. I know personally of several players who attend Princeton, Harvard, and Dartmouth who stayed home and finished their 4 years of eligibility after the Covid year. They played 4 years. They went to school 4 years. They just didn't attend one year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckluck89 View Post

Are you sure? If you don't go to school at all, it's not a year of eligibility. I know personally of several players who attend Princeton, Harvard, and Dartmouth who stayed home and finished their 4 years of eligibility after the Covid year. They played 4 years. They went to school 4 years. They just didn't attend one year.
                            "The clock' can be stopped for a handful of reasons - if a player centralizes with the national/Olympic team, goes on a religious 'mission', military service, pregnancy, eg. Otherwise, the five year clock is a five-year clock; you have five calendar years to use your four years of competition eligibility, starting from when you first enroll as a full-time student. The other common way to extend the clock - and this only came with a rule change around 2015 or so - is if a SA first takes a redshirt year and then subsequently has to take a medical hardship year; in that instance, a 'sixth year' gets added to the clock, because of the 'beyond their control' nature of the medical hardship.

At the time the 'deal' for the COVID year not counting against eligibility and 'the clock' was announced, it was very clear that those who chose to not participate would not be given such consideration; the bonus COVID year was the 'reward' for taking the risk of participating in the face of the great unknowns of what the COVID season might hold. Ivy League schools chose to not participate; Ivy League athletes who chose to not transfer etc essentially also chose to not participate. Sitting at home was choosing to not participate. Their clock continued to run.

Maybe that rather harsh stance has softened since then. But until I see something in print that states so, I'd assume it has not 'softened'.

In short, yes, I'm pretty sure. As for those you know, etc., you are describing SAs who played four years during a five year period. In Vanstone's case, we are talking about a sixth year.
                            Last edited by robertearle; 05-25-2023, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• This is a podcast from Youth Hockey Hub (State of Minnesota). It will require a chunk of time for those who have interest in the recruitment process. It will be well worth your time. This podcast has a lot of information and the guests are, Bethany Brausen, assistant coach for St. Thomas, Josie Hemp, an incoming freshmen for the UofM, and the dad of Josie St. Martin, who is a committed 24 recruit for tOSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEfwxq9akIU
                              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 05-25-2023, 12:11 PM.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Except Van Stone meets the exception of her 5th year she only played In 5 games and therefore in my opinion gets a medical redshirt. That's just my opinion. It will also be interesting to see if Petrie plays for Clarkson or moves on. Her case is a little different in that she did not stay home during the COVID year. However, the medical redshirt might apply there also if she applied for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X