Transfer Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pucko View Post
    I find it interesting that there's an entire thread on Harvard women's hockey coach playing "mind hunger games" with her players - and yet Muzzerall is being lauded on here for basically decommitting players at whim, walking back promises/scholarships the last minute to players who had their hearts set on tOSU, replacing players that SHE RECRUITED after only 1-2 years so she can pick up transfers instead of actually, oh, I don't know, coaching and developing kids. What kind of experience are her student-athletes having? No one seem to cares, the sentiment is more 'oh, players should know what they're getting into because she's The Muzzinator". Because she's winning with the hodge podge she's been able to put together the last few years because of COVID, that way she's running her program is ok? Why don't you ask some of the earlier players about the time she walked into the locker room, made a popping sound with her finger, and said "That's you guys getting your heads out of your asses". Talk about class.
    Muzzinator gonna muzzinate...

Look in all seriousness I really don't know quite what to think... It is a heck of a lot of transfers and at some point something has to give from a player/scholarship standpoint.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 03-29-2023, 03:25 PM.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by pucko View Post
      I find it interesting that there's an entire thread on Harvard women's hockey coach playing "mind hunger games" with her players - and yet Muzzerall is being lauded on here for basically decommitting players at whim, walking back promises/scholarships the last minute to players who had their hearts set on tOSU, replacing players that SHE RECRUITED after only 1-2 years so she can pick up transfers instead of actually, oh, I don't know, coaching and developing kids. What kind of experience are her student-athletes having? No one seem to cares, the sentiment is more 'oh, players should know what they're getting into because she's The Muzzinator". Because she's winning with the hodge podge she's been able to put together the last few years because of COVID, that way she's running her program is ok? Why don't you ask some of the earlier players about the time she walked into the locker room, made a popping sound with her finger, and said "That's you guys getting your heads out of your asses". Talk about class.
      As far as "walking back scholarships", just today I posted the question regarding scholarship on the OSU comment thread: The Big Ten has a policy that a student-athlete who starts their four year 'career' on scholarship will have that scholarship guaranteed through their four years. The NCAA does not require this; scholarships can be awarded on a year-to-year basis. That has given rise the the concept (I have seen it referred to for other sports) of the "two and two" agreement, where the S-A is a 'walk-on' for the first two years with the understanding that they will go on scholarship for their second two years. Of the five OSU players listed in the portal, two played in only a few games, and the one may have never made it to the roster at all. So it is reasonable to assume (I *hate* speculating about who is and is not on scholarship) that they were not on scholarship, and so were never part of the Big Ten four year guarantee.

Beyond that, ice hockey is a 'equivalency' sports with regard to scholarships - partial/fractional scholarships are allowed. That is, for a roster of 24 players, everyone of the 24 could get a 3/4th scholarship with the total being the equivalent of the 18 scholarships allowed, or 18 could be getting full scholarships and the other six are walk-ons. Or some other combination. That makes the 'game' of guessing who is and is not on scholarship that much harder, and raises the question of how a partial scholarship aligns with the 'four year guarantee' policy of the Big Ten, in terms of what is and is not allowed.

A more longer-winded way of saying again that none of us knows enough about the coming and goings at OSU to really say, or laud, or decry.
      Last edited by robertearle; 03-29-2023, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• I'm beating the drum on the girls that are getting shafted, but I am not going to go complete sour grapes on Ohio State. And look it up, UNLV during the late 80's and early 90's in men's basketball was the king of transfers and jucos, but that is what he needed to do to compete with the powerhouses like Duke, UNC and Michigan. Now in all fairness, OSU should stop recruiting high school players if all she is going to do is weed out certain players that she recruits from high school and go the complete transfer model.

I have no idea on the inner workings of OSU getting around the Big Ten requirement of four year scholarships.

​​​​​
        But, the coach comes from another Big Ten program. So is she copying the you pay for two we pay for two model that Wisconsin and Minnesota are rumored to employ? Or is she copying another program that shall remain nameless that combines academic and atheletic money.

​​​​​
        Or are all these transfers taking a discount to get plugged into a winner.

But, I'm sure the pitch goes we will pay you x and you will get plugged right in. She's saying and promising them something that they are buying.

But, the guy that keeps saying Muzzinator is clearing cap space is probably closer to the reality than most think.
        Last edited by Reddington; 03-29-2023, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          I'm beating the drum on the girls that are getting shafted, but I am not going to go complete sour grapes on Ohio State. And look it up, UNLV during the late 80's and early 90's in men's basketball was the king of transfers and jucos, but that is what he needed to do to compete with the powerhouses like Duke, UNC and Michigan. Now in all fairness, OSU should stop recruiting high school players if all she is going to do is weed out certain players that she recruits from high school and go the complete transfer model.

I have no idea on the inner workings of OSU getting around the Big Ten requirement of four year scholarships.

​​​​​
          But, the coach comes from another Big Ten program. So is she copying the you pay for two we pay for two model that Wisconsin and Minnesota is rumored to employ. Or is she copying another program that shall remain nameless that combines academic and atheletic money.

​​​​​

But, I'm sure the pitch goes we will pay you x and you will get plugged right in. She's saying and promising them something that they are buying.

But, the guy that keeps saying Muzzinator is clearing cap space is probably closer to the reality than most think.
          I wonder for any of these schools how much NIL money is "invested in" women's hockey? ;-)
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I'm beating the drum on the girls that are getting shafted, but I am not going to go complete sour grapes on Ohio State. And look it up, UNLV during the late 80's and early 90's in men's basketball was the king of transfers and jucos, but that is what he needed to do to compete with the powerhouses like Duke, UNC and Michigan. Now in all fairness, OSU should stop recruiting high school players if all she is going to do is weed out certain players that she recruits from high school and go the complete transfer model.

​​​​​
            But, the coach comes from another Big Ten program. So is she copying the you pay for two we pay for two model that Wisconsin and Minnesota are rumored to employ? Or is she copying another program that shall remain nameless that combines academic and atheletic money.

​​​​​

Are they not allowed to combine academic and athletic money? Seems unfair to brainiacs.

edit: I googled and it says this is allowed.
            Last edited by Lindsay; 03-29-2023, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              2 more Bemidji players in the Portal. Goalie Hanna Hogenson with 1 year of eligibility And Adriana Van De Leest who will have 2 years of eligibility.
              Each has an extra year of eligibility I do believe..

Comment

• Originally posted by waynorth907 View Post

Each has an extra year of eligibility I do believe..
                Ok, good to know.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Are they not allowed to combine academic and athletic money? Seems unfair to brainiacs.

edit: I googled and it says this is allowed.
                  Sure they are allowed to do academic, but certain grade point averages need to be maintained and or I was hinting at the extra wiggle room for the program For example if a player comes in on a half academic that is much bigger pool than the 18 full scholarships you are allowed to give. And the coach is not invested at all as that dough is not coming out of the team's budget.

The richer the school is in football, the more the other programs can do this type of stuff.

Comment

Sure they are allowed to do academic, but certain grade point averages need to be maintained and or I was hinting at the extra wiggle room for the program For example if a player comes in on a half academic that is much bigger pool than the 18 full scholarships you are allowed to give. And the coach is not invested at all as that dough is not coming out of the team's budget.

The richer the school is in football, the more the other programs can do this type of stuff.

But only in equivalency sports, like ice hockey. In 'head count' sports any amount of scholarship money means the S-A is on scholarship and counts 'one' against the team limit. One dollar or full ride, counts the same.
                    Last edited by robertearle; 03-29-2023, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I think this is true although I would quibble that the source of richness is television money but this is only quibbling because as anyone can see the television money comes from football.

What it means is that in the long run the women's hockey teams from universities with big football programs and big cable television revenue are going to have advantages, fairly significant advantages.

The smaller schools close to the greater Toronto area will still have the recruiting advantage for Canadian players of the players' families being able to drive to the home games and those with hockey traditions should be able to remain at least somewhat competitive. Clarkson, Cornell, Colgate, perhaps some others.

But increasingly it is going to be hard for all of the others to compete with the Big Ten schools and the football ACC schools, the rich are likely to get richer. From west to east, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, Syracuse, Boston College. It will be a very rare Frozen Four without at least one of those and usually there will be more than one.
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post

... But increasingly it is going to be hard for all of the others to compete with the Big Ten schools and the football ACC schools, the rich are likely to get richer. From west to east, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, Syracuse, Boston College. It will be a very rare Frozen Four without at least one of those and usually there will be more than one.
                        Very interesting thought on the ACC schools.

I've always assumed that BC would find a way to get back to our top tier. And probably sooner rather than later. But I hadn't thought of Syracuse & ACC resources in the same way. I'll keep an eye on them!

Comment

• (I forget why I went looking for 'other' pages detailing the portal, but I found one. Today is the first time that they have had something the other did not, but...)

Two more Bemidji D players in the Portal today. Ella Anick and Taylor Larson.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...geid=766184987

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                            (I forget why I went looking for 'other' pages detailing the portal, but I found one. Today is the first time that they have had something the other did not, but...)

Two more Bemidji D players in the Portal today. Ella Anick and Taylor Larson.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...geid=766184987
                            Awesome on finding this spreadsheet - it's much easier to view with players grouped by their school. It's evident that some schools are having quite the turmoil.

Comment

• You never know what drama is behind the scenes that motivates players to jump if it's anything more than just wanting more playing time. I just hope they don't lose focus on completing their education.

Comment

Awesome on finding this spreadsheet - it's much easier to view with players grouped by their school. It's evident that some schools are having quite the turmoil.
                                You can search the 'first' web site by school name and see those in the portal 'grouped'. And you can click through to a spreadsheet there and then sort by school, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X