2023 NCAA DIII Championship Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    I will say this has been my favorite non-Plattsburgh championship weekend in terms of ancillary things. The Amherst rink is objectively bad and I'm personally disappointed with the outcome but nearby Springfield has been great for the newly added off day. Local restaurants, a museum, some pregame gaming at the slots at MGM Springfield and now an AHL game.

Amherst should not host until they build a nicer rink but I wouldn't be mad if WNEU was ever good enough to be the #1seed and host...
    Glad you enjoyed Springfield. Spend some time in Northampton 10 minutes or so down Rt 9, if you get a chance. Fun main street with plenty of restaurants and things to do. In Amherst, you have to either have a couple slices of Antonio's Pizza or have some burritos at Bueno y Sano.

Orr Rink is not great from a spectator perspective, but it used to be worse. Unless alumni step up, I don't think an upgrade is in the near-term capital improvement plans.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHornet View Post
      Whoever can score in overtime wins ! Tight one too close to predict.
      Going out on on a limb there... :-)

I'll take Amherst.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Scoreless after one. It's been fairly back and forth. I think Amherst had a slight edge in time of posession but GAC was more efficient in getting shots in their time with the puck.

Gustavus killed two penalties in the first. They've been able to get a puck or body positioned in the right place and time to stymie Amherst's attempts at creativity.

I think Amherst needs to play less cute if they want to pull ahead but I'm not sure the Gusties will allow that if they keep this up.

The Amherst student section is very impressive in their number and enthusiasm. I've never seen a student section sing the anthem together in a game I've been to (maybe y'all have, idk) and they have a few chants and songs.

Comment

Both teams are great skating. Really seems like Amherst loves board battles. They really try to muck it up and get in the corners.

Comment

GAC up 1 after 2. Gusties are really coming hard now. Mandate should be coming on the officiating post-game though. Perhaps the most one-sided playoff contest officiating-wise I’ve ever seen at the D3 level. Mammoths getting away with murder.

Comment

Originally posted by VTpucksouteast View Post
              GAC up 1 after 2. Gusties are really coming hard now. Mandate should be coming on the officiating post-game though. Perhaps the most one-sided playoff contest officiating-wise I’ve ever seen at the D3 level. Mammoths getting away with murder.
              That is what you said about Plattsburgh on Friday !

Comment

After 100 minutes, still tied!

Comment

Gusties win! early in the 3rd OT.

Congratulations to Gustavus Adolphus.
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    Gusties win! early in the 3rd OT.

Congratulations to Gustavus Adolphus.
                    Gusties break the "ICE" for the west ! Congratulations

Comment

• Congrats to all teams. Gustavus got it done...props to all the Gusties and coach Carroll! Well over-due... a much deserved western program!

Comment

• Made it home from Amherst.

I hope the NCAA saw what went on this weekend and takes note and doesn't award the championship weekend to Amherst until Orr is replaced. Numerous issues for both fans and participant athletes. The Amherst staff did the best they could with what they had and this isn't a shade at them. I don't even fault the committee for letting Amherst try this year as they earned their seed but now that they have seen it the committee needs to not repeat this.

Congrats to Gustavus on making it as the first western region team to take home the national championship trophy. Certainly fitting that one of the original programs is the one to do it. Gustavus owned large chunks of this game starting in the 2nd and onward, only Stott's play made this a 3OT game!

What a great season of hockey! Looking forward to what 2023-24 brings!

Comment

• For those of us who weren't there, what were the issues for the fans and participant athletes in Amherst?

Comment

• The parking was a complete liability. They have maybe 30 parking spots at the rink and half are coned off. Locker rooms were brutally small and dated. No seating/angles to watch the game were horrible. Sad that both fan bases had people quite literally cramping for space with having to turn their shoulders to fit more people in. Not to mention people having to stand on the ends of which were tight. Watching on TV would have been a much better experience I was told, but the camera quality was pretty shoddy. Orr does not have the athletic training materials/equipment/space either for the players. Girls were waiting so long for training. I agree with the above post, the people working were great and did their absolute best. Just not enough resources for them.

Comment

• That's unfortunate. Sounds like the facilities were far inferior to the level of play this weekend - the NCAA has a lot of things to figure out.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4and20 View Post

I will take Gustavus.
                                Anyone know or heard what Coach Matthews was asking for in the review immediately after the game? The officials didn't seem to take much time in looking at the replay video. The only thing I can think of is he was questioning if the puck had come out of the zone and was not called offside before the goal. From the angle of the camera it did not look offside to me but I could understand from the Amherst bench it may have appeared close. Not trying to start anything here just curious what he wanted reviewed.
                                4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                                SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X