2023 NCAA DIII Championship Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Where was this game played? I’m not familiar with either of these rinks being big enough for that. Was there a typo in the number and an extra digit added?
    This was played at Lund Arena on GAC's campus. The website says seating for 1,500 and only expands to 3,000 for special events with chairs out on the floor.

Lund would need to have standing room that equals their hockey seating capacity....

Comment

I know Lund has bleachers and on the broadcast the announcer said “expect a packed house” and she “wouldn’t be surprised to see 2500 pack into all the expanding bleacher seats.”

In my opinion, from the broadcast’s sake it did look legit. There were droves of people in standing room behind and up above the full seats. It was nothing like I’ve seen on the women's side at least.
      Last edited by SHockey98; 03-12-2023, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Lund Arena at GAC is a cool building with bleachers on both sides of rink that start about 10 feet above the ice level and run from end wall to end wall. However, I believe there are only 5 rows of bleachers on each side and no seating behind the goals. There is viewing high above one goal, behind a window with a railing table good for one row of standing room. There were quite a few people standing behind the bleachers but not all the bleachers were full. I would say there were probably 3,000 eyeballs or ear lobes at the game yesterday but not people.

Comment

That makes sense. The ends were a little empty. I did notice on the far end there looked to be a few hundred people up above the far net behind that glass panel. That's a really cool feature of that rink. I wish more teams out here had more standing room like GAC and Adrian do. That allows for these insane environments more often. I think it was pretty damn close to 3 grand, if not more if you ask me.
          Last edited by VTpucksouteast; 03-12-2023, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Congrats to the semifinalists going to Amherst this weekend - it looked like four very good quarterfinal games on Saturday and should be two more great games this Friday. Also, kudos to tjoneslo for correctly picking all four QF winners.

Additionally, a shoutout to UW-River Falls for another excellent season as they finished the year 24-4-1, including going 4-2 against three titans of women's hockey: Plattsburgh, Middlebury and Gustavus. The Falcons were the only team in the country to hand home losses to either Plattsburgh or Gustavus this season. For their efforts, they were rewarded with a QF road game at Gustavus. The Golden Gusties are loaded again this year, with 10 seniors (including 3 super seniors) on the roster and returned their top 8 scorers from last year's NCAA runner-up squad. Incidentally, one of those seniors, Heather Olinger #21, sustained a career ending injury in an early January game this year.

Also, hats off to Colby, who won over 69% of their games this season. They went 18-8 and came out firing on all cylinders in 2023, winning one of their first six games. The Mules were also able to establish a 1-7 record (.125) vs. Amherst, Hamilton and Middlebury.

Finally, let's give a hand to Middlebury, who nearly - not quite, but nearly - won 2/3 of their contests, finishing 17-8-3 for a .661 winning percentage. In that mix the Panthers went 0-6 vs. Amherst, Plattsburgh and UW-River Falls. They were able, however, to eke out a point vs. Connecticut College to avoid getting swept by the Camels in late January. They were also able to score a goal 53 minutes into their senior night game vs. Williams to salvage a 1-1 tie.

Again, great season by everyone and looking forward to St. Patrick's Day hockey in western MA on Friday.

Comment

Weekend predictions? I'll start off.

-Amherst over Hamilton 3-1

Both teams (like most Frozen Four teams) are on a tear at the moment, headlined by two stud goaltenders in Sheridan and Stott. This will be the fourth matchup between the two squads, the prior three all played at Amherst, like this one. The split a season opening series, and Amherst took the rubber match by shutting out the Continentals in the NESCAC title game 5-0, though the game was very evenly matched despite the score. I think defensively, Hamilton matches the Mammoths, but I think the forecheck and home ice will be a little too much for the upstart Continentals.

-Plattsburgh over Gustavus 4-2

Next up is a rematch of the first semifinal at a different, much more roomy NESCAC barn last March. Loads of big-name players up and down the lineups for both teams. The skill alone from these teams is Division I-level it seems. The Gusties annihilated the Cards last year 5-1, and the game was never really in doubt. Plattsburgh went up extremely early, but Gustavus answered quickly and dominated play to get to their first NCAA title game. I think that truly lit a fire under Houle and company, and I think this team has worked its butt off to stay focused all year long. These teams I think will play pretty evenly, but I'll say the stars of the Cardinals will shine brighter and Plattsburgh gets revenge and back to an all-too-familiar spot.

Comment

Originally posted by bodyup88 View Post
                Congrats to the semifinalists going to Amherst this weekend - it looked like four very good quarterfinal games on Saturday and should be two more great games this Friday. Also, kudos to tjoneslo for correctly picking all four QF winners.

Additionally, a shoutout to UW-River Falls for another excellent season as they finished the year 24-4-1, including going 4-2 against three titans of women's hockey: Plattsburgh, Middlebury and Gustavus. The Falcons were the only team in the country to hand home losses to either Plattsburgh or Gustavus this season. For their efforts, they were rewarded with a QF road game at Gustavus. The Golden Gusties are loaded again this year, with 10 seniors (including 3 super seniors) on the roster and returned their top 8 scorers from last year's NCAA runner-up squad. Incidentally, one of those seniors, Heather Olinger #21, sustained a career ending injury in an early January game this year.

Also, hats off to Colby, who won over 69% of their games this season. They went 18-8 and came out firing on all cylinders in 2023, winning one of their first six games. The Mules were also able to establish a 1-7 record (.125) vs. Amherst, Hamilton and Middlebury.

Finally, let's give a hand to Middlebury, who nearly - not quite, but nearly - won 2/3 of their contests, finishing 17-8-3 for a .661 winning percentage. In that mix the Panthers went 0-6 vs. Amherst, Plattsburgh and UW-River Falls. They were able, however, to eke out a point vs. Connecticut College to avoid getting swept by the Camels in late January. They were also able to score a goal 53 minutes into their senior night game vs. Williams to salvage a 1-1 tie.

Again, great season by everyone and looking forward to St. Patrick's Day hockey in western MA on Friday.
                The seedings go according to the PWR Rankings ! Gustavus-Adolphus 3rd ,,,,, River Falls 6th

Comment

Originally posted by bodyup88 View Post

But, but their Strength of Schedule "SOS"

4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                  SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by VTpucksouteast View Post
                    -Plattsburgh over Gustavus 4-2

Next up is a rematch of the first semifinal at a different, much more roomy NESCAC barn last March. Loads of big-name players up and down the lineups for both teams. The skill alone from these teams is Division I-level it seems. The Gusties annihilated the Cards last year 5-1, and the game was never really in doubt. Plattsburgh went up extremely early, but Gustavus answered quickly and dominated play to get to their first NCAA title game. I think that truly lit a fire under Houle and company, and I think this team has worked its butt off to stay focused all year long. These teams I think will play pretty evenly, but I'll say the stars of the Cardinals will shine brighter and Plattsburgh gets revenge and back to an all-too-familiar spot.
                    Gustavus played in the 2001 AWCHA Championship game (prior to the NCAA) but I am sure Middlebury doesn't count that as one of their National Titles either.

4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                    SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by 4and20 View Post

But, but their Strength of Schedule "SOS"
                      The Pairwise is used to seed the tournament. I advised this above. https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairw...s/d-iii-women/

Comment

I have my travel booked for this weekend. The Howard Johnson near the ring shot up in price in hours after the semis. Staying slightly further out. Should be a good weekend in the Amherst/Springfield/Holyoke area.

The Springfield vs Providence AHL game is a great off-day option for Saturday, but limited tickets are available. It is also a "bring your dog" game so if you're not a fan of dogs be wary...

Comment

Originally posted by 4and20 View Post

Gustavus played in the 2001 AWCHA Championship game (prior to the NCAA) but I am sure Middlebury doesn't count that as one of their National Titles either.
                          I covered that tournament. It was held in Rochester. They both had great teams.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Don’t see Plattsburgh defeating GAC; they don’t have the same fire power they usually do and, although stingy, their gaa is not up to traditional standards. River Falls had them on their heels, as did Midd during the regular season. Hope I’m wrong. Would love a Hamilton upset over Amherst. Was actually hoping Williams would stun them all in the NESCAC. Go Cardinals!
                            C O L G A T E
                            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                            1990 NCAA FINALS
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                              Don’t see Plattsburgh defeating GAC; they don’t have the same fire power they usually do and, although stingy, their gaa is not up to traditional standards. River Falls had them on their heels, as did Midd during the regular season. Hope I’m wrong. Would love a Hamilton upset over Amherst. Was actually hoping Williams would stun them all in the NESCAC. Go Cardinals!
                              I think GAC is favored but I don't think the game is a foregone conclusion. Plattsburgh has improved as the season progressed and while none of the goalies are a Sydney Aveson or Camille Leonard they are much improved under Kassi Abbott's coaching. I don't think Davis or Nease will fold after the first goal allowed like what happened in last year's semifinal.

Plattsburgh needs to do what they did against Midd this past weekend and what they did against Hamline in 2019: land the first punch, frustrate their opponents chances on the other end, and build a lead by capitalizing on mistakes.

That said, I think Amherst is the team to beat this year regardless of who wins the non-NESCAC semifinal. Their forecheck is insanely good and Stott hasn't conceded a goal since the regular season finale against Williams on 2/18.

Comment

The first semifinal should be interesting today. GAC took an early punch last year, giving up a goal just over a minute into the game. They recovered nicely, however, and scored themselves less than a minute later. After that, they really dominated play, outshooting the cardinals 12-4 in the first period and 35-16 for the game. GAC is an extremely experienced and talented team with their top 8 scorers back from last season, including all five who scored against Plattsburgh in the 5-1 win a year ago. Additionally, their senior goalie Katie McCoy is very solid and coming off another great game vs. UW-River Falls where she stopped 31 of 32 shots and staved off 3 of 4 power play chances. Finally, the Gusties D is extremely solid with their top three back from last season (including super seniors All American Kayla Vrieze and Gabby Slykas). Sophie Coltvet is a very talented junior defender who flies under the radar to some degree with the deep blue line in St. Peter. They also added a Division I transfer in junior D Brooke Remington from Franklin Pierce, giving them one of the best top two pairs in the country IMO.
                                I'm sure Plattsburgh will play well today in their quest for revenge from last season but I think it will be too much to overcome. Add in the fact that there is no Katonka or McArdle this season for Plattsburgh and I see Gustavus advancing to the finals.

Comment

Working...
                                X