Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General D-I NCAA Tournament Musings

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Thursday games at Minn and Ohio State finally show up in the BTN-Plus 'upcoming' schedule, and they carry a designation of being "free".

    (The Saturday games, however, are still not there. LOL!)

    Comment


    • #17
      I just realized tOSU won't see a wcha team until the final. Ez street.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

      Comment


      • #18
        OSU no longer has the PSU killer Claire DeGeorge. She was a handful last year. OSU is obviously the favorite.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Thursday games at Minn and Ohio State finally show up in the BTN-Plus 'upcoming' schedule, and they carry a designation of being "free".

          (The Saturday games, however, are still not there. LOL!)
          Saturday games now also on the BTN-Plus schedule, also marked "free".

          Comment


          • #20
            We have a couple first-time entrants into the tournament, something that a tournament expansion and addition of another automatic bid should help. Congratulations to Penn State and Long Island!

            Going by memory and using current conference affiliations, that would give us an all-time list of NCAA Tournament qualifiers of:

            NEWHA: (1)
            LIU

            CHA: (6)
            Mercyhurst
            Niagara (defunct)
            Penn State
            RIT
            Robert Morris (temporarily defunct)
            Syracuse

            ECAC: (10)
            Brown
            Clarkson
            Colgate
            Cornell
            Dartmouth
            Harvard
            Princeton
            Quinnipiac
            St. Lawrence
            Yale

            HEA: (5)
            BC
            BU
            UNH
            Northeastern
            Providence

            WCHA: (5)
            Minnesota
            UMD
            UND (defunct)
            tOSU
            Wisconsin

            I get 27 programs that made the NCAAs. Am I forgetting anyone?

            As for the next likely addition, another NEWHA team would seem to be on the horizon. Vermont isn't far away, but can the Catamounts take another step? St. Thomas is on an upward trajectory, but they have obstacles in their path. Predictions? Probably a better off-season topic.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

            Comment


            • #21
              Maybe UCONN, didn't they win a Hockey East Tournament out of the blue in recent memory?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ARM View Post
                As for the next likely addition, another NEWHA team would seem to be on the horizon. Vermont isn't far away, but can the Catamounts take another step? St. Thomas is on an upward trajectory, but they have obstacles in their path. Predictions? Probably a better off-season topic.
                St. Cloud State with Idalski as coach and the advantages of in-state recruiting seems poised to make the jump. (My parents are both SCSU alums + I'd love to see them in the tournament!)

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by ARM View Post

                  I get 27 programs that made the NCAAs. Am I forgetting anyone?
                  The wikipedia page for "NCAA women's ice hockey tournament" has a big grid of which teams played in which years, and it shows 27 teams overall.

                  Last edited by robertearle; 03-08-2023, 09:42 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by PSUfan View Post
                    St. Cloud State with Idalski as coach and the advantages of in-state recruiting seems poised to make the jump.
                    The Huskies are definitely on the rise. The problem figures to be getting through the WCHA pack if multiple teams are improving.

                    Factors that would work to the advantage of a new WCHA team (presumably SCSU or St. Thomas, but can't completely rule out MSU right now) getting into the NCAAs:
                    + ultimately to improve your finish and reach the NCAAs, you'll need more wins; UMD, tOSU, and UM all take huge hits to graduation and would figure to be more vulnerable to those teams pushing up the standings
                    + having gotten a team to the NCAA Tournament twice before, Idalski can point to successes, as can J. Johnson with U-18 Worlds titles, in a way that previous SCSU bosses could not, which should help recruiting, particularly in a talent pool that is aware of these achievements

                    Less advantages factors include:
                    - when you have multiple teams fighting for the same thing, they can "split the vote," or wins in this case, and leave both short of the needed milestone
                    - if it becomes a matter of getting a fifth team into the field, the WCHA has more games devoted to its round robin -- WCHA=28, HEA=27, ECAC=22, CHA=20, NEWHA=24 (to lazy to verify). If you need to get 5 of 8 teams into the field, there aren't many non-conference games to push them all up the PairWise; might be more likely to take advantage of a dropoff from one or more of the current NCAA-qualifying teams.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by PSUfan View Post
                      St. Cloud State with Idalski as coach and the advantages of in-state recruiting seems poised to make the jump. (My parents are both SCSU alums + I'd love to see them in the tournament!)
                      The issue for any other wcha team is 4 teams are already making tourney. I don't see UW, UM or OSU not making it anytime soon. Maybe UMD will be overcome by St. Cloud or St. Thomas in the next couple years. Can a 5th team from the wcha make it? I just don't see it.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                        The issue for any other wcha team is 4 teams are already making tourney. I don't see UW, UM or OSU not making it anytime soon. Maybe UMD will be overcome by St. Cloud or St. Thomas in the next couple years. Can a 5th team from the wcha make it? I just don't see it.
                        St Cloud this year finished 13th in the NPI and Pairwise, but just "inches" behind #12 Cornell and #11 Vermont. Maybe one more win somewhere along the way, and St Cloud would have been #11.

                        The problem is #11 doesn't get you into the tournament. And St Cloud was significantly farther back behind Penn State; and even passing Penn State and getting to #10 would not have gotten them in, because of auto-bids.

                        The optimist says "look how close St Cloud got", the pessimist says "that's about the closest they can get without winning three or four more games somewhere along the way".

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          The optimist says "look how close St Cloud got", the pessimist says "that's about the closest they can get without winning three or four more games somewhere along the way".
                          And if they win 3-4 more games somewhere, it may be against UMD and that could knock them out. Is there any way to give them a win against OSU and MN in computerland and see how it impacts their pairwise spot?
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Why is the title game at 4pm ET? Why not at noon like any other big sporting event and give travelling fans some more time to get home Sunday? If I go I get home after 1am Sunday night. Not optimal for a guy who gets up at 5am for work.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                              And if they win 3-4 more games somewhere, it may be against UMD and that could knock them out. Is there any way to give them a win against OSU and MN in computerland and see how it impacts their pairwise spot?
                              There is, or at least Grant intends there to be.

                              If I did it right, I changed a 3-2 OT loss to Ohio State to a 3-2 OT win. It moved St Cloud up to #11, and closed the gap between St Cloud and Clarkson, but not nearly enough. They still weren't particularly 'close'.

                              So my guess of "three or four more wins" might need to be more like seven or eight (and maybe even more, depending on the 'quality' of the wins).

                              (And once more, many thanks to Grant for making these things both possible and even easy to do.)
                              Last edited by robertearle; 03-08-2023, 01:10 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X