No announcement yet.

2023 DIII Conference Awards + Laura Hurd/COTY/All-American Contenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good list. Maybe a little heavy on Adrian (5) in the west. Stephanie Martin, G from UWEC and Abigail Stow, F from UWRF will probably get some deserved consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by bodyup88 View Post
      Good list. Maybe a little heavy on Adrian (5) in the west. Stephanie Martin, G from UWEC and Abigail Stow, F from UWRF will probably get some deserved consideration.
      Thanks, true. I could easily see Martin get the nod with McCoy and Goldberg as the 13 will go the west in that case. It's tough with Adrian. Their numbers are all great, but those Lawrence/Finlandia 13-0 games should be taken into consideration more than they are. Trine was bad and got 2 AA's last year thanks to those two teams lol.

Comment

Official finalists list is out for COTY and as usual it's the conference COTY and two NCAA semifinalists who didn't win that honor.

2022-23 CCM/AHCA Women’s Ice Hockey College Division III Coach of the Year Finalists

A.J. Aitken, St. Norbert, NCHA Coach of the Year
        Mike Carroll, Gustavus Adolphus, NCAA Semi-Finalist (MIAC)
        Jason Carter, Northland, WIAC Coach of the Year
        Dave Clausen, Utica, UCHC Coach of the Year
        Kevin Houle, Plattsburgh, NEWHL Coach of the Year, NCAA Semi-Finalist*
        Tracy Johnson, St. Olaf, MIAC Coach of the Year
        Jeff Matthews, Amherst, NCAA Semi-Finalist (NESCAC)
        Tim McAuliffe, Castleton, NEHC Coach of the Year
        Emily McNamara, Hamilton, NESCAC Coach of the Year, NCAA Semi-Finalist
        Taylor Wasylk, Suffolk, CCC Coach of the Year

Comment

Laura Hurd finalists also announced. There are two players who weren't conference POTYs to be nominated.

Finalists for the 2022-23 Laura Hurd Award
          AHCA Women’s Ice Hockey College Division Player of the Year

Shana Cote, GR F, Suffolk University
          (Broomfield, CO) CCC Player of the Year

Sophie Goldberg, SR G, Adrian College
          (Newtown, PA)

Ann-Frederique Guay, SR F, Norwich University
          (St. Lambert-de-Lauzon, PQ) NEHC Player of the Year

Hailey Holland, SR F, Gustavus Adolphus College
          (Aberdeen, SD)

Abby Kuhns, SR D, Hamilton College
          (Skaneateles, NY) NESCAC Player of the Year

Darci Matson, SR F, Aurora University
          (Wasilla, AK) NCHA Player of the Year

Maddie McCollins, SR F, UW-River Falls
          (Maple Grove, MN) WIAC Co-Player of the Year

Kaylee Merrill, SR F, SUNY Potsdam
          (Wasilla, AK) NEWHL Player of the Year

Sophie Rausch, SR F, UW-Eau Claire
          (Fergus Falls, MN) WIAC Co-Player of the Year

Erica Sloan, SR F, Utica University
          (Potsdam, NY) UCHC Player of the Year

Kayla Vrieze, SR D, Gustavus Adolphus College
          (Eagan, MN) MIAC Player of the Year

Note: This release notes Matson as a senior, but I believe she is in fact a sophomore...
          Last edited by Scott_TG; 03-13-2023, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
            Laura Hurd finalists also announced. There are two players who weren't conference POTYs to be nominated.

Finalists for the 2022-23 Laura Hurd Award
            AHCA Women’s Ice Hockey College Division Player of the Year

Shana Cote, GR F, Suffolk University
            (Broomfield, CO) CCC Player of the Year

Sophie Goldberg, SR G, Adrian College
            (Newtown, PA)

Ann-Frederique Guay, SR F, Norwich University
            (St. Lambert-de-Lauzon, PQ) NEHC Player of the Year

Hailey Holland, SR F, Gustavus Adolphus College
            (Aberdeen, SD)

Abby Kuhns, SR D, Hamilton College
            (Skaneateles, NY) NESCAC Player of the Year

Darci Matson, SR F, Aurora University
            (Wasilla, AK) NCHA Player of the Year

Maddie McCollins, SR F, UW-River Falls
            (Maple Grove, MN) WIAC Co-Player of the Year

Kaylee Merrill, SR F, SUNY Potsdam
            (Wasilla, AK) NEWHL Player of the Year

Sophie Rausch, SR F, UW-Eau Claire
            (Fergus Falls, MN) WIAC Co-Player of the Year

Erica Sloan, SR F, Utica University
            (Potsdam, NY) UCHC Player of the Year

Kayla Vrieze, SR D, Gustavus Adolphus College
            (Eagan, MN) MIAC Player of the Year

Note: This release notes Matson as a senior, but I believe she is in fact a sophomore...
            I believe Holland from Gustavus shared MIAC Player of the Year with her teammate, similar to Rausch and McCollins in the WIAC.

Comment

This season, the MIAC offered both an offensive and defensive player of the year award rather than a player of the year award. Hailey Holland from GAC won the offensive player of the year while GAC 5th year senior Kayla Vrieze garnered the defensive player of the year award. They also named a rookie of the year which was awarded to Augsburg D Nora Stepan.

Comment

If the AHCA is going to name both the MIAC's Offensive Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year as Laura Hurd finalists all conferences should join the MIAC in naming both awards going forward.

Comment

If the AHCA is going to name both the MIAC's Offensive Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year as Laura Hurd finalists all conferences should join the MIAC in naming both awards going forward.
                  That's what I was thinking. Which starts making this thing a farce.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Does it really matter? There's still only going to be one winner of the Laura Hurd award.

Comment

And you know it won't be a D unless Bobby Orr or Cale Makar are transitioning.

Comment

Originally posted by bodyup88 View Post
                        Does it really matter? There's still only going to be one winner of the Laura Hurd award.
                        Completely agree with this. No one gets awarded anything but the winner

Comment

I agree. Given the MIAC is over a century old, maybe some of the latest-created conferences (I mess up the names sometimes with all the shuffling!!) should shift their thinking as well when changes like this are made.

Comment

I'm really surprised River Falls wasn't able to get Abigail Stow as a Laura Hurd finalist. The fifth-year has put up monster numbers over her five seasons of play. She has quite the decorated resume and plays the game the right way. I've got to believe she might be the only WIAC athlete to be named all-conference FIVE times. After looking at stats, I'm surprised how many games they got in during the covid season. I know some teams didn't play at all, and other teams only had a handful of games. The Falcons were able to play quite a bit. Regardless, the fifth-year would be a perfect Laura Hurd candidate given what she's done for the sport in general and her success.

Comment

Abigail Stow had a tremendous career at UWRF and will go down as one of their all time greats. She was victimized this season by a bit of a slow start, however, scoring only 3 goals in her first 16 games. She came on strong in the second half with 12 goals and 15 assists in her last 13 games. Ultimately, she finished third on the Falcon team with 41 points and tied for third with 15 goals. It's unfortunate that she never reached the frozen four, losing to Gustavus each of the last two seasons and COVID eliminating 2020 and 2021 seasons. Hamline defeated the Falcons her freshman year in 2019 in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

Comment

A decade ago when it was a de facto career award Abigail Stow would be the winner hands down. I think when the voting body decided to award it to Simon despite the MIAC giving POTY to Torpy from St. Thomas (as they should have) it kind of put the weight on the current season again.

I think it's either Matson or Rausch.

Comment

Working...
                                X