ECAC Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC Hockey

Seems a heavy slant towards WCHA on this site, so wanted to open up an ECAC thread in case anyone had any thoughts or watched the games. Some great games this past weekend, and the first round should be very exciting. Some of the best players in the country are definitely found in the ECAC.

Originally posted by tedlasso View Post
    Some of the best players in the country are definitely found in the ECAC.
    You spelled "CHA" wrong.

Comment

No question that the ECAC playoffs this year will be very intense competition. Before the start of the season I predicted Cornell would take it all but they have demonstrated that they are not strong enough defensively to get the job done. I wouldn't count them out, but certainly can't be seen as the favorite now. This may be the kiss of death, but I would now pick Colgate to win it all, but with several strong teams in the mix goaltending can often be the deciding factor, so Yale will be tough to beat, as well.

Comment

What do people think about Q? Obviously they aren't the first good team to have a rough weekend in the North Country over the years. Or combined with the drubbing at Princeton and the .500 record over the last month, does it point to the Bobcats not being the same team that they were earlier in the season?
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Q has been something of a riddle for the last month. Not sure what is happening there. It looks like Yale and Colgate began to separate from the pack near the end of the season. St. Lawrence seemed to be playing better near the end and have some top end forwards so they could give Q a run. I think Colgate is a bit deeper than Yale by the time you get to the 3rd line and that may be the difference between those two.

Comment

I think the Clarkson Cornell series comes down to the Knights defense and goaltending. I do not see Cornell getting 8 goals like they did in Ithaca in November. However Clarkson has only scored 3 goals in the 2 games played (they did hold Cornell to 1 goal in Potsdam in February). In 22 ECAC games, Clarkson has 60GF (6th) and 38GA (3rd) vs Cornell 78GF (4th) and 70GA (10th).
            Overall, Cornell in 29 games has 4 forwards with 10 or more goals (Frechette 18 Daniel 17 Delianedis 10 and Van Gelder 13). Clarkson in 36 games has 3 (David 19 Cherkowski 20 and Lappan 13).
            In Goal Clarkson Pasiechnyuk 29 games 1.48 GAA and .934 SP (1 GA in game 2, however she gave up 5 goals in 34 min in the 1st game).
            Cornell has played 3 goalies about the same # of GP, Fraser 13GP (Held Clarkson to 1 goal in 1st game) had most minutes played: 2.38 Best GAA and Dulac (played game 2 in Potsdam) 12GP: .873 the Best SP.

Would not surprise me if this goes to 3 games or if either team won in 2 games. Probably the first team to score 3 in any game will win that game.

If Clarkson advances, I just might try to convince my wife to take a drive up from Maryland to see the Yale Whale for the first time.
            Last edited by vicb; 02-22-2023, 02:03 PM.
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

After watching the replay of the Harvard-Yale blowout on ESPN+, Harvard coming close to winning even one game in this series is highly unlikely. Probably not gonna be 10-1 wins for Yale but 5 or 6 to 1 would not surprise me.
              I think Princeton can give Colgate some trouble (especially if Conners and Fillier can produce) but I am going to say Gate wins 2 very close games.
              SLU will give Quinny a battle. They beat them in Canton 4 to 1 a week ago and had a 2-1 lead with 10 min to go in the game in Hamden and then the roof fell in and they gave up 4 goals.
              Morgan vs Angers in the nets, 2 of the best goalies in the ECAC. This one could go to a 3rd game.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I would hope that the Harvard players themselves would come out mad and driven to start the series with Yale. I would hope that any player with a competitive bone will come out strong.

Colgate on paper has the "fanciest" and most talked about players both at forward and D. And I believe the goaltenders for Colgate also lead the league. So Colgate has no actual weaknesses. It's almost an embarrassment of riches when you see who plays on the third line for the Raiders. But Colgate and Yale are built and play differently. Yale's leading scorer leads the team in +/- which I guess isn't that unusual, but Colgate's leading scorer does not. What is unusual is that Yale's leading scorer also leads the team in blocked shots, which shows the difference in how the teams are succeeding. Yale's team culture is defense first, and Colgate "plays free." Just different approaches.

Q was succeeding in a similar manner to Yale. They have had a rough go lately, but I still see them locking it down in playoffs.

And Princeton certainly has the parts to have performed better. Not really sure what happened there...

Clarkson/Cornell will be a super interesting series. Each team has played some great games this season and then some stinkers. So the series could go either way.

Comment

Quin swept Colgate. Colgate swept Yale. Yale swept Quin. It’s anybody’s guess.

IMO Yale has the stingiest defense, and defense wins championships. Colgate gives up some weak goals and many shots, but can out-score some opponents. Quin went deep in the NCAA tournament last year and that counts for something. For all, it comes down to goaltending and special teams. I see all 4 hosts winning in two; Yale and Colgate more convincingly.
                  C O L G A T E
                  2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                  1990 NCAA FINALS
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                  ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                  ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by tedlasso View Post
                    I would hope that the Harvard players themselves would come out mad and driven to start the series with Yale. I would hope that any player with a competitive bone will come out strong.
                    Don't bet on it. Harvard is a mess, and it won't magically change between now and Friday. The team has checked out and I don't expect anything close to a competitive series. Yale knows it and will put Harvard out of its misery fairly quickly. This series is nothing more than a speed bump for them.

Comment

Yale is the team good coaching good players I suspect they should win the ECAC Colgate most penalized team but also equal in players as Yale it will come down to special teams Clarkson just like mentioned above better defense better goaltending. Quinnipiac is the only ?? Is there competition getting caught up or they not who we thought they are SLU has some stars forwards and goaltending but Quinnipiac home ice it will be a different game earlier Quinnipiac won 6-2 at home vs SLU still this would be the only game I would not bet on

Comment

Harvard @ Yale this weekend is the best possible argument one can make for a one-and-done format in the early playoff rounds. Save the best-of-three for the finals, where the stronger teams can be truly tested.

Comment

totally agree thirdtime's. The final deserves 3 games not the quarters...

Comment

Clarkson gets 3 in the first and after 2 periods leads 3-0. Hope my prediction of first to 3 wins each game.
                            Last edited by vicb; 02-24-2023, 04:15 PM.
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Clarkson 5 Cornell 1 Final
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Working...
                              X