No announcement yet.

Div III Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another issue may be with public institutions. I don’t remember Plattsburgh State -men or women- have ever traveled west during a season. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I doubt that sort of travel and expense is in their budget…
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

So true about the public school budgets. Hence why the University of Wisconsin-River Falls with the 9.5K instate tuition they charge went to play in the Cardinal-Panther Classic 2 of the last 3 iterations in ****ing northern Vermont. Definitely can’t be in the public school budget though. No room for a Plattsburgh to come west for Pete’s sake.

Comment

Originally posted by SHockey98 View Post
        I know that the pilot program is passed, but is there any chance there is a return to other selection criteria or a pairwise/other selection criteria hybrid used? It just seems a bit wrong if there's a 4-bid conference when no other league gets more than one bid.

Look I know PW is a good thing overall for the sport, but there needs to be some sort of override for situations like this. Other criteria has to be allowed. There is not enough crossover play in the women's game due to geography.

In a better (more costly) cross-conference scheduling model, pairwise is awesome. But this is D-III women's hockey, so that scheduling isn't feasible. There needs to be more than JUST pairwise. I think come Selection Sunday this will be a wake-up call for coaches, AD's, SID's, etc.
        There are several solutions to the issue you raise:
        1. Don't allow the western schools to participate in the National DIII tournament (after all they always end up losing anyway). Wouldn't the final four be so much better with four New England schools instead of the token west school being included. Then we would never ever have to have the tournament in the Midwest ever again.
        2. The western schools should just not want to play in the National tournament.
        3. And my favorite, even though this wouldn't help Eau Claire, have Gustavus and Adrian lose their conference championship games, which would result in a 5/6 split west east rather than the expected 3/8 split. Then there might be some changes, my gosh imagine a final four with three west teams and one eastern school. The end of the world as we know it!
        4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
        SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

So true about the public school budgets. Hence why the University of Wisconsin-River Falls with the 9.5K instate tuition they charge went to play in the Cardinal-Panther Classic 2 of the last 3 iterations in ****ing northern Vermont. Definitely can’t be in the public school budget though. No room for a Plattsburgh to come west for Pete’s sake.
          And there can’t be a difference between a Wisconsin state budget and a New York one. SUNY schools are (to my knowledge) not given a budget to fly and any bus trips to a western school are horrendous. It has to be six hours by bus to Buffalo from Plattsburgh…
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post

And there can’t be a difference between a Wisconsin state budget and a New York one. SUNY schools are (to my knowledge) not given a budget to fly and any bus trips to a western school are horrendous. It has to be six hours by bus to Buffalo from Plattsburgh…
            Just shy of 7 hours to Fredonia

Comment

Bracket hasn't changed much over the weekend as literally every single favorite won lol. The way I see it, there are 10 teams that have a chance at an at-large bid, should they not win an auto-bid, or in the WIAC's case, a Pool B. However, some of these will require some major help from around the country, but it could be possible. Here they are:

Adrian
              Amherst
              Colby
              Elmira
              Gustavus
              Hamilton
              Middlebury
              Plattsburgh
              UW-River Falls
              UW-Eau Claire

Elmira and UWEC have very low chances to qualify without a win, but I still think they can get in with a loss. But it's very very slim.

I'm pretty sure this means it's a must win scenario for these ten:

Augsburg
              Aurora
              Cortland
              Endicott
              Lake Forest
              Nazareth
              Norwich
              St. Norbert
              Suffolk
              Utica

Cortland is the closest, but I can't see them making up that gap without a win.

Comment

Can anyone explain the NCHA Women's Semi Finals and Championship schedule? I understand the number 1 seed, the conference champion, earns the rights to host the finals. But what I don't understand is why the championship is scheduled 23 hours after the first semi-final and 19 hours after the start of the second semi final. I get that Adrian has a schedule issue with the Men's Championship also on Saturday but why can't the men play at 8:00pm? Have the women start at 4:00pm and move the Friday games to 2 and 6. Or, have the men play in the afternoon and Women in the evening would seem even better, the men only play the one game. If it is a crowd issue because they can get more fans for the men on Saturday evening why don't the Adrian women play the later semi final game for a larger fan count. Talk about a home ice advantage, even the NASCAC leaves more time between the Semi Finals and Championship. At this level playing back to back games with so little time in between for recovery will lead to more injuries, well I guess as long as the injuries are not to Adrian who cares. Maybe Adrian could play Friday evening, get a good nights sleep and just have the other two semi final teams play early Saturday morning and play back to back games. Saves on a night in the hotel, one day less missing class, ever one wins.

Update: I stand corrected, the championship games will now start 22 hours after the second semi-final and 46 hours after the first semi final due to a power outage. You can't make this stuff up.
                Last edited by 4and20; 03-03-2023, 07:15 PM. Reason: Update due to power outage
                4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

I have two brackets made up, granted they are without the impact of the NESCAC final on the PWR.

Version 1: Adrian wins the NCHA tomorrow:

Field:
                  Bid School PWR Region Seed
                  NESCAC Amherst 1 East 1
                  NEWHL Plattsburgh 2 East 2
                  MIAC GAC 3 West 3
                  NCHA Adrian 4 West 4
                  Pool C Hamilton 5 East 5
                  Pool B UW-River Falls 6 West 6
                  Pool C Middlebury 7 East 7
                  Pool C Colby 8 East 8
                  NEHC Norwich 13 East 9
                  UCHC Nazareth 15 East 10
                  CCC Suffolk 23 East 11
                  First Round:

Colby at Plattsburgh
                  Norwich at Middlebury
                  Suffolk at Hamilton

QF:
                  River Falls at GAC
                  Plattsburgh/Colby vs Norwich/Middlebury (at best seed remaining)
                  Nazareth at Adrian
                  Hamilton/Suffolk at Amherst

Version 2: SNC Wins the NCHA

Field:
                  NESCAC Amherst 1 East 1
                  MIAC GAC 3 West 3
                  Pool C Adrian 4 West 4
                  Pool C Hamilton 5 East 5
                  NEHC Norwich 13 East 8
                  NCHA SNC 15 West 9
                  UCHC Nazareth 15 East 10
                  CCC Suffolk 23 East 11
                  First Round:

Norwich at Middlebury
                  Suffolk at Hamilton
                  St. Norbert at River Falls

QF:
                  Norwich/Middlebury at Amherst
                  Nazareth at Adrian
                  Suffolk/Hamilton at Plattsburgh
                  SNC/UWRF at Gustavus Adolphus

Really hoping SNC wins tomorrow and will give a path to the top 3 seeds having a bye in the first round.

Comment

Wow. When looking back at it, it's crazy to think how wide open this entire thing could be still had Utica held on against Naz. (The Flyers tied the game with 7 seconds in regulation and went on to win in 2OT). Then Adrian would have zero teams in the field they could drive to.

What do you think they would have done in this instance? Obviously, if Adrian/their opponent has to fly, AC is getting into the quarterfinals. Do you think potentially they would have flown Hamilton? Given that takes a NESCAC team out of the first round to avoid another potential conference game, and that Hamilton isn't too far over the 500 mile limit from Adrian.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                      I have two brackets made up, granted they are without the impact of the NESCAC final on the PWR.

Version 1: Adrian wins the NCHA tomorrow:

Field:
                      NESCAC Amherst 1 East 1
                      MIAC GAC 3 West 3
                      NCHA Adrian 4 West 4
                      Pool C Hamilton 5 East 5
                      Pool C Colby 8 East 8
                      NEHC Norwich 13 East 9
                      UCHC Nazareth 15 East 10
                      CCC Suffolk 23 East 11
                      First Round:

Colby at Plattsburgh
                      Norwich at Middlebury
                      Suffolk at Hamilton

QF:
                      River Falls at GAC
                      Plattsburgh/Colby vs Norwich/Middlebury (at best seed remaining)
                      Nazareth at Adrian
                      Hamilton/Suffolk at Amherst

Version 2: SNC Wins the NCHA

Field:
                      NESCAC Amherst 1 East 1
                      MIAC GAC 3 West 3
                      Pool C Adrian 4 West 4
                      Pool C Hamilton 5 East 5
                      NEHC Norwich 13 East 8
                      NCHA SNC 15 West 9
                      UCHC Nazareth 15 East 10
                      CCC Suffolk 23 East 11
                      First Round:

Norwich at Middlebury
                      Suffolk at Hamilton
                      St. Norbert at River Falls

QF:
                      Norwich/Middlebury at Amherst
                      Nazareth at Adrian
                      Suffolk/Hamilton at Plattsburgh
                      SNC/UWRF at Gustavus Adolphus

Really hoping SNC wins tomorrow and will give a path to the top 3 seeds having a bye in the first round.
                      In your first scenario, doesn't it make more sense if Amherst would play the winner of Norwich/Middlebury?

Comment

NESCAC invitational (feat. other NCAA teams) looks to be a full go. Adrian is hammering Norbert through 1 period. Just 1-0, but complete domination.

Comment

In your first scenario, doesn't it make more sense if Amherst would play the winner of Norwich/Middlebury?
                          You may be right.

My initial thought was if forcing the 2 seed into the first round, the fair thing to do would be to set it so that they face the worst seeds possible within the travel and intra-conference parameters.

Plattsburgh can't face Naz because they're through to the QF because of travel for Adrian, can't face Suffolk because it would force an intraconference 1st round game.

Comment

Alright we got the annual "how can I watch the selection show" question coming up for everyone. Me included. I am not seeing any link, and the live video schedule looks like nothing is planned on NCAA.com

Comment

Originally posted by VTpucksouteast View Post
                              Alright we got the annual "how can I watch the selection show" question coming up for everyone. Me included. I am not seeing any link, and the live video schedule looks like nothing is planned on NCAA.com
                              It will likely be posted as a prerecorded vid with the link live and posted at 8:30

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

It will likely be posted as a prerecorded vid with the link live and posted at 8:30
                                Well, it's 8:33 and the link points to a story which links back to the original link.

Brilliant NCAA. Just brilliant.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X