2022-23 ECAC Hockey -- Contenders everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hab View Post
    Before conference play gets underway this weekend I want to go on record as predicting that Cornell will win the ECAC and go to the final four.
    That's a nice pick. The problem with landing on any single team in this year's ECAC to win the title is discounting all of the other teams that then won't win it. I guess there could be a four-way tie at the top or some such. Colgate hasn't done anything wrong thus far. Quinnipiac makes it so hard to generate offense by keeping opponents bottled up. Princeton has possibly the best player in the NCAAs, but the schedule maker didn't do them any favors with a Colgate/Cornell starter and Yale the next weekend.

Should be a fun ride. It's odd how Harvard has hosted the Bobcats already but doesn't entertain Princeton until February. Don't typically see travel partners so unpartnered. I guess Harvard and Dartmouth aren't all that close in proximity for Q.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      That's a nice pick. The problem with landing on any single team in this year's ECAC to win the title is discounting all of the other teams that then won't win it.
      Yes...it is a "pick". There seems to be broad agreement that there are as many as 6 teams in the ECAC that could contend for the top. I am trying to get some folks to come out and identify a team that they think might pull away from the pack. On paper, at least, it seems like Cornell has that potential.

Comment

Yes...it is a "pick". There seems to be broad agreement that there are as many as 6 teams in the ECAC that could contend for the top. I am trying to get some folks to come out and identify a team that they think might pull away from the pack. On paper, at least, it seems like Cornell has that potential.
        Well I won’t make a pick but I’ll say this.
        teams can barely get shots on Colgate it seems. If you can’t get shots how can you score?

I don’t know a ton about how Quinny and Colgate are different - perhaps the smothering D plus more goal scorers plus a reliable goalie to replace Schroeder.

Clarkson has had the benefit of a softer schedule. They are good, but their top ten days may be limited.

Yale should be good but anything is possible. They burst on to the scene last year in an Olympic year. If a regression is likely for anyone maybe it’s them.

Princeton- yes I know they’ll have Fillier. They should be excellent but are the pieces around her as good as her last ncaa days 2 years ago? I honestly don’t know, need to read about these guys. Hard to believe her last ncaa days were March 2020.

Cornell- good for all the reasons you listed.

I’ll go with Colgate, Quinnipiac or Cornell.
        Last edited by Lindsay; 10-26-2022, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Before their first game (at Harvard, Friday) I want to go on record predicting Yale will give everyone fits this season as they try to reprise their stellar trip to the FF last year. Yale. (Remember? In their first-ever appearance they lost to OSU 2-1 in the semis.) They remain loaded, though the big question is how to replace Meloni in goal.

Comment

The ECAC is loaded, as everyone has already mentioned. Only two ECAC teams, Princeton and Yale, have players on this list:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...ward-watchlist

There has been a lot of discussion of Fillier already. But the exact same team, without her, did not perform very well last year. I guess we shall see if she can make an impact by herself, not surrounded by Olympians.

Colgate has looked pretty unbeatable so far, but let's see what happens when they get into the meat of the ECAC schedule. The Friday night game between Princeton and Colgate will be super interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              That's a nice pick. The problem with landing on any single team in this year's ECAC to win the title is discounting all of the other teams that then won't win it. I guess there could be a four-way tie at the top or some such. Colgate hasn't done anything wrong thus far. Quinnipiac makes it so hard to generate offense by keeping opponents bottled up. Princeton has possibly the best player in the NCAAs, but the schedule maker didn't do them any favors with a Colgate/Cornell starter and Yale the next weekend.

Should be a fun ride. It's odd how Harvard has hosted the Bobcats already but doesn't entertain Princeton until February. Don't typically see travel partners so unpartnered. I guess Harvard and Dartmouth aren't all that close in proximity for Q.
              It has to do with the Women's Beanpot which falls on a Tuesday. Harvard splits up one or two pairs of weekend games to ensure they don't have to play five games in seven days.

Comment

Not a big fan of teams playing games outdoors, but this should be a good matchup.

Women’s Hockey to Play Quinnipiac at 2023 Frozen Fenway

https://gocrimson.com/news/2022/10/2...8-ca2f0e287fb5
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Before conference play gets underway this weekend I want to go on record as predicting that Cornell will win the ECAC and go to the final four. Already strong, they scooped up an incredible group of freshmen, including 4 from the Canada U18 gold medal team and one from the US silver medal team.
                  I've been sayin'!!!!
                  It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Not a big fan of teams playing games outdoors, but this should be a good matchup.

Women’s Hockey to Play Quinnipiac at 2023 Frozen Fenway

https://gocrimson.com/news/2022/10/2...8-ca2f0e287fb5

. . . the Harvard women's hockey program will skate at Fenway Park as a part of the 2023 Frozen Fenway series presented by Moderna and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Of course. Duh. Who else?
                    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 10-27-2022, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Better watch out for the USVI women's hockey team at the next Olympics? They will come out of nowhere like the Jamaican men's bobsled team?

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        I think the Regular season top 5 in the ECAC WILL BE COLGATE #1 followed in no particular order by Quinnipiac, Cornell, Yale and Princeton (Fillier back really elevates them). Clarkson, SLU or Harvard could sneak into the top 5 (maybe 4th or 5th). I will also take Colgate to be a repeat ECAC playoff champion.
                        Adjusted my previous post.

Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post

Adjusted my previous post.
                          That seems like a good list...
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

First weekend of league play:

Clarkson and SLU sweep RPI and Union allowing 1 goal total in the 4 games.
                            Quinny sweeps Cornell and Colgate allowing 1 goal in the 2 games while scoring 7 (including 3 ENG's).
                            Prinnny loses to Colgate and Cornell
                            Yale and Brown sweeps Harvard and Dartmouth
                            Last edited by vicb; 10-29-2022, 08:58 PM.
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Big takeaway from week 1: Bobcats made a statement against tough teams.

Comment

Not sure how much we really learned from the first weekend. With the Ivies starting so late, these teams will look different in 10 games or so. No doubt, Quinnipiac is the team to beat at this point. In many of the games, a bounce here or there would have changed the result. Looking forward to a larger sample size with the ECAC.

Comment

Working...
                                X