Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should and Could There be a Big Ten Womens Conference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should and Could There be a Big Ten Womens Conference?

When the men's CCHA and WCHA conferences were broken up when the Big Ten men's hockey conference came into being I've often wondered when will it will eventually happen for the women and what benefits and consequences would there be?

Sure there should be a Big Ten hockey conference. However, I am not sure it works as Minnesota St Cloud, UMD, Bemiji and Minn State would be left out and lots of Big Ten Schools don't have women's hockey.

The bigger question in my opinion would be: I'm not sure how the Univ of Mich, Mich State and Notre Dame don't have D1 women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post

The bigger question in my opinion would be: I'm not sure how the Univ of Mich, Mich State and Notre Dame don't have D1 women's hockey.
      I would ask the same question.
      Michigan State just upgraded Munn Arena but I don't believe the upgrades included provisions to accommodate a women's team. Their old arena, Demonstration Hall still has ice and seating and could be ideal for a women's team. I heard the most likely reason is they just don't want to spend the money.
      As far as Notre Dame it certainly isn't a lack of money, so I'm puzzled why they don't. Illinois has long been looking at a men's but I have no idea if those discussions included a women's program.
      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 09-27-2022, 07:34 PM.

Comment

In learning from the lessons of the B18 men's hockey conference firing up, I'd say it's a bad idea. I'm a traditionalist and I like traditional matchups. If other B18 schools would start women's teams, just fit them in where it makes geographically.

The bigger question is all the B18 schools are flush with football and basketball money, it's criminal they won't use a small slice of the hundreds of millions of dollars pie and start women's hockey teams, especially if they have a rink for a men's team.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The money is absolutely wild. From a Columbus Dispatch article this summer regarding the new tv rights deal for Big Ten:

“ESPN's Adam Rittenberg reports that the agreement is valued at more than $7 billion.

The Big Ten is expected to eventually distribute $80-$100 million per year to each of its 16 members of the conference after USC and UCLA arrive in 2024.

According to USA Today, in the conference's most recent fiscal year not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic, it issued $54.3 million to most of its members”

Comment

Worst-case scenario from my mind would be if USC and UCLA added women's hockey to trigger the mandate that the Big Billion form a women's ice hockey league. Not as bad as travel to/from Alaska, but ...

I imagine that the creation of the men's league must have helped someone, but it doesn't seem to be any of the BIG teams. PSU and OSU, maybe.

It would be interesting to see if UND would have another go at a women's team if they could now join a league without OSU/UW/UM.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

From a Penn State fan perspective, I would love for there to be a Big Ten women's hockey conference, but I don't see it happening anytime soon as Michigan, Michigan State, & Notre Dame do not appear interested in sponsoring women's hockey. If it did happen I suspect the WCHA would add Lindenwood and maintain at least 6 teams, but the remaining CHA teams (RIT, Syracuse, Mercyhurst, and Robert Morris) would probably need to find a new conference or persuade some NEWHA teams to move to CHA. So it would have a similar effect that adding a Big Ten men's hockey conference did in terms of conference realignment.

Comment

I know Michigan doesn't have the room at Yost to have a woman's team. The visitors locker room is a tarped off section of the south end of the concourse!
                They would have to add onto the building and the only place they could do it is on the south end and lose a good portion of the parking lot there. The current administration would never do it. I do remember years ago Red saying he would never share Yost with a women's team.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  The money is absolutely wild. From a Columbus Dispatch article this summer regarding the new tv rights deal for Big Ten:

“ESPN's Adam Rittenberg reports that the agreement is valued at more than $7 billion.

The Big Ten is expected to eventually distribute $80-$100 million per year to each of its 16 members of the conference after USC and UCLA arrive in 2024.

According to USA Today, in the conference's most recent fiscal year not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic, it issued $54.3 million to most of its members”
                  And that's just the tv money. And where does all that money go? I don't think I want to know.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Sure there should be a Big Ten hockey conference. However, I am not sure it works as Minnesota St Cloud, UMD, Bemiji and Minn State would be left out and lots of Big Ten Schools don't have women's hockey.

This has been a question for many years. None of those three colleges should be considered to be serious hockey programs until they find a way to get beyond their serious biases.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post

This has been a question for many years. None of those three colleges should be considered to be serious hockey programs until they find a way to get beyond their serious biases.
                      Don't forget if any Big Ten schools who don't have a men's team, if they add one Title IX mandates they add a new women's sport but it doesn't have to be a women's hockey team. It could be a women's bowling team if you get my meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        When the men's CCHA and WCHA conferences were broken up when the Big Ten men's hockey conference came into being I've often wondered when will it will eventually happen for the women and what benefits and consequences would there be?
                        The Big 10 bylaws state that there must be at least six conference teams playing a sport at the varsity level in order for it to become a league sport. So, until two more schools add women's hockey, there cannot be a Big 10 conference. Note that having six teams does not mean that a sport must be a conference sport.

Comment

I don't know about MSU and UND, but the University of Michigan studied the possibility of adding women's ice hockey a while back. What they concluded was that, for the same cost of adding women's hockey, they could add men's and women's lacrosse, providing more athletic opportunities. As some have noted above, adding women's hockey would require either playing at The Cube, far from campus in so-so facilities, or building a new rink on campus.

While I would love for the Wolverines to add women's ice hockey, since I grew up attending men's games there, I find it hard to argue against a decision to add more sports and opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                            As some have noted above, adding women's hockey would require either playing at The Cube, far from campus in so-so facilities, or building a new rink on campus.
                            I don't know where on campus they could put a new rink and if they did it would be for the women only. The fans and alumni would revolt if they tried to move the men out of Yost, it's iconic and much loved by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

And that's just the tv money. And where does all that money go? I don't think I want to know.
                              Speaking for Ohio State's cut there was an interview with Coach Muzerall some time back and she was asked how she was able to recruit so well and she replied that we have a football team that brings in a lot of money to the athletic department and her program gets a nice share of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X