Wcha 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I don't know, Limburger has a kick to it. Put a little of that on some rye bread with raw onions and some tigermeat. I dare you to try it.
    Is that eelpout that you are talking about here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
      Is that eelpout that you are talking about here?
      In Wisconsin, tigermeat is another term for raw lean ground beef. Take your marble rye, spread the raw ground beef on it, salt, pepper, thin sliced raw onion and another slab of rye on top, a tigermeat sandwich. Typically it's a holiday faire, on my wife's side of the family that was a big hit at the large extended family Christmas blowout at Likso's Tap. Lisko's had a small bar in the basement and a big dancehall on the ground floor out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by dairy farms. We had our wedding reception there. Sadly that Christmas event has passed on as her aunts and uncles have gone to Heaven and it melted away. I ate it many times after getting the courage to try it. I only got sick from it once, and that's the last time I ever ate it. But the success rate in not getting sick when eating it was over 90%!

Eelpout is excellent eating as well, though I've never tried eating that fish or any fish raw.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I only got sick from it once, and that's the last time I ever ate it. But the success rate in not getting sick when eating it was over 90%!
        When it comes to E. coli, I'm not sure that being healthy 90% of the time is really such good odds. With holiday fare like "tiger meat" and eggnog, given the lack of refrigeration in olden times, it's a wonder that many cultures survived. Or maybe that explains why some of this was only consumed during the coldest time of year.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Unlikely, to be sure, but it is still possible for the final conference standings to be 66 points followed by 65 points followed by 64 points. :-)

Comment

• So when tomorrow will the conference playoff brackets be announced and will it be televised?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              So when tomorrow will the conference playoff brackets be announced and will it be televised?
              I'm not sure why they would have an announcement. The brackets are set as soon is the final whistle goes in the Wisconsin/OSU game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

I'm not sure why they would have an announcement. The brackets are set as soon is the final whistle goes in the Wisconsin/OSU game.
                St Cloud at Duluth, and Mankato at Wisconsin. The other two yet to be decided. And they reseed if there are any upsets, don't they? So even after tomorrow, they can't formally announce a bracket.
                Last edited by robertearle; 02-18-2023, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Taking this from the Wisconsin thread ...
                  Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post
                  ... but OSU is going nowhere in a hurry with that kind of goaltending.
                  I've had that thought at times this season while watching all three of the top WCHA teams. Whether we say the problem is goaltending or the skaters, I don't think that any of tOSU, UM, or UW is at the level defensively that the top team in the WCHA usually is. UMD has looked the most solid on the defensive side when I've watched the 'Dogs, but they aren't very deep offensively.

Yes, the ECAC has some strong teams this year, but one big factor that increases the odds of that league adding to its NCAA titles is that nobody in the WCHA currently looks to have the balance one expects of an NCAA champ.

That said, the WCHA Tournament field overall is about as strong as I can remember -- although there were some UND years where either Bemidji or tOSU made the top five in the league very strong. The top six this year is strong, and St. Thomas has come a long way in two years. Not sure where Bemidji is heading, although the Beavers seem to be as good as their goaltending on any given day. Because of the previously mentioned defensive woes of the top group, everyone is vulnerable to losing a game in a best of three, although I don't see that happening to tOSU.

Comment

• On to the playoffs!

Comment

MN at Tommies. If the Tommies sweep and UW sweeps, UW gets second place! Finish strong Tommies. So you are telling me there's a chance.....
                      OSU at UW. Badgers gonna Badgernate the Mussinators. What does this mean? I'm not sure myself.
                      MSU at St. Cloud. Tied with 30 pts, a true battle for 5th and the chance to go to Duluth or Madison for the weekend. What a prize for 1 team!
                      UMD at BSU. A couple spirited practices for UMD.
                      Tommies tried to help UW.....
                      Badgernate workded game 1, Muzzinate worked game 2.
                      St. Cloud used a big 2nd period in both games to break them open for the sweep.
                      UMD appreciated the practice time.

Playoffs.....
                      BSU at OSU. More practice, this time for OSU.
                      STU at UMTC. It's all academic.
                      MSU at UW. MSU isn't an easy out, but if UW plays with the same compete level as the last weekend there won't be any sweating it out by UW fans.
                      St. CL at UMD. This one is going 3.

Comment

• All WCHA teams announced. Two each from Buckeyes, Gophers, and Bulldogs on the first team. Not sure when the last time was that UW didn't have anyone on the first team, but the Badgers have good representation on the other units. The most surprising thing to me is that SCSU doesn't have anyone on any of the four teams. Neither does Bemidji, but that makes sense. Maybe none of the Huskies put up numbers.

Comment

• Mankato has really turned the corner. They played with a lot of puck poise throughout the whole series. I think they must ride their top players a lot and then eventually they wear down. If they can add depth they're gonna beven harder to defeat. Of course it depends on what they're losing going into next year as well. This is the best I've ever seen them play on a consistent basis the last 4 games in Madison.

Comment

• Game times set for next weekend, and they seem odd and too early to me: Duluth vs Ohio St at 1 PM Friday, Minn and Wisconsin at 5 PM, winners Saturday at 2 PM.

The only viewing option mentioned at the WCHA web site so far is BTN-Plus.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                              Game times set for next weekend, and they seem odd and too early to me: Duluth vs Ohio St at 1 PM Friday, Minn and Wisconsin at 5 PM, winners Saturday at 2 PM.

Just to clarify those times mentioned are central time zone times.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                The Gophers announced back in October that the WCHA Final Faceoff will be televised on Fox 9+. Perhaps other outlets will pick that up in other markets.

Comment

Working...
                                X