Wcha 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

I don't want to get ahead of things but if she keeps doing what she does and stays at OSU she may well establish a dynasty!
    (Keeping in mind the title on the thread...)

Minnesota has won three regular season WCHA championships in a row, and four out of five. Wisconsin has won three regular season championships in a row, and five out of six.

Ohio State has yet to win a WCHA regular season championship.

Comment

• And let's not forget UMD, the other program that has won the season title (although it is unclear how many they are still allowed to claim). WCHA dynasties are as tough as they've ever been to establish, because at least three other programs will have something to say about it.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• At least in the current season I think it's safe to say Ohio State has established themselves as the team to beat and if Coach Muzerall continues being as successful as she has been OSU will be an impediment to all WCHA teams in their aspersions. I'm not worried about the lack of regular season titles, they'll come and maybe sooner than others want? But I'll take a National Title over a regular season one any day!

Comment

At least in the current season I think it's safe to say Ohio State has established themselves as the team to beat and if Coach Muzerall continues being as successful as she has been OSU will be an impediment to all WCHA teams in their aspersions. I'm not worried about the lack of regular season titles, they'll come and maybe sooner than others want? But I'll take a National Title over a regular season one any day!
          Ohio State is currently in second place in the WCHA standings.

Comment

At least in the current season I think it's safe to say Ohio State has established themselves as the team to beat ...
            While I don't really disagree with you -- I'm impressed with what she has accomplished without having rosters that are far superior to her competition -- your statement would be a lot safer in some seasons. You've made the point that you're speaking about the national title hunt, not the WCHA. Fair enough. How big a favorite is OSU against teams like UW and the top of the ECAC? If the season ended today and higher seeds won, then the Buckeyes would likely have the Badgers coming to their region, and they'd play two of those ECAC teams in the Frozen Four. If we say that tOSU would win those any of those meetings three times out of four (which is a pretty solid favorite), the Buckeyes statistically would win the NCAAs only 42% of the time. That's a good percentage in a season where so many different teams could conceivably get hot in the tournament and win it, but I think it underscores that the title hunt has gotten more competitive than it was almost 20 years ago. Back then, one could predict three quarters of the Frozen Four in the preseason of some years.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Wow Mankato can really skate, a much improved team, at least for a period anyway. A very enjoyable first period of hockey.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Yuckeyes win in OT but lose a valuable point in the Standings...
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  Wow Mankato can really skate, a much improved team, at least for a period anyway. A very enjoyable first period of hockey.
                  The last 2 periods were more Wisconsin centric but kato still looks pretty good.

Comment

This week...

UM at BSU.....bloodbath
                    OSU at St. Cloud....does OSU have a hangover? I doubt it.
                    MSU at WI....can WI win one game convincingly? Probably?
                    UMD at Tommies....bloodbath II
                    Yes and not so much
                    No hangover but heck of a jolt to they system in game 2.
                    UW did win 1 game convincingly
                    Not a bloodbath.

This week....get the brooms out.
                    oohhyy goohhhyyy UM at UMD in the battle of the ugliest uni's on the planet. Tunnelers sweep.
                    MSU at OSU....interesting benchmark for UW's progress in regards to OSU.
                    BSU at St. Cloud.....broomsicles for the Huskies
                    UW at STU....another interesting benchmark for UW's progress in regards to UMD.

Why do I fee like OSU is tops in the wcha when UM actually is? OSU is getting all the love. UM leads the league in goals for and goals against. I'm shocked. Of course the MN fans are lamenting their terrible play against BSU LOL over in their thread.

Comment

Why do I fee like tOSU is tops in the wcha when UM actually is?
                      The feeling probably has something to do with thinner consumption.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      tOSU is getting all the love.
                      It's how the muzzinator wants things so who's gonna argue?

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      UM leads the league in goals for and goals against. I'm shocked. Of course the MN fans are lamenting their terrible play against BSU LOL over in their thread.
                      No need to be shocked...The Tunnelers have feasted on a lot of cupcakes this year. The next 6 games threaten to expose the Tunnelers for the potential frauds they could very well be.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        No need to be shocked...The Tunnelers have feasted on a lot of cupcakes this year. The next 6 games threaten to expose the Tunnelers for the potential frauds they could very well be.
                        Classic sandbagging LOL. UM ends up the number one overall seed and you will be like, "Golly, I hope we can beat the bye".

Comment

Yes and not so much
                          Yes and yes. Don't get fooled by the score of the second game. Bemidji was dreadful and never really a threat. The Gophers' first goal came when a Bemidji defenseman in the corner just casually put the puck on Bouveng's stick standing all by herself in the slot, with no other Gopher in the offensive zone. That team is bad.

Why do I fee like OSU is tops in the wcha when UM actually is?
                          Because Wisconsin has a win and a tie against Minnesota, and got swept in ugly fashion by OSU. I'd bet that is the entire basis for your perception. On the other hand, the Gophers got a win and a tie in Columbus. We'll see what happens when the Buckeyes come to Minneapolis.

UM leads the league in goals for and goals against. I'm shocked. Of course the MN fans are lamenting their terrible play against BSU LOL over in their thread.
                          I'm not. I don't think Minnesota played particularly well up in Bemidji, but 1) they weren't terrible, and 2) I'm just not concerned with how a team looks in its 9th and 10th consecutive games against mediocre to bad teams. That doesn't actually tell us anything about how well they are likely to play once they are playing good teams again. They could come out completely flat and get run off the rink in Duluth, though I don't think it's likely, but it wouldn't have anything to do with how they played in Bemidji.

Comment

Classic sandbagging LOL. UM ends up the number one overall seed and you will be like, "Golly, I hope we can beat the bye".
                            I wouldn't say "Golly" and...If anyone could lose to the bye, it would be the Tunnelers.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

I wouldn't say "Golly" and...If anyone could lose to the bye, it would be the Tunnelers.
                              I actually think that Wisconsin is the team that could lose to the bye. They don't seem to thrive on the extra time off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

I actually think that Wisconsin is the team that could lose to the bye. They don't seem to thrive on the extra time off.
                                This does not fit my sandbagging narrative...(But you may be onto something here.)

Comment

Working...
                                X