Wcha 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    From what I've seen of the officiating for our first 4 games I'm less than impressed. They haven't cost us a win but I'm more concerned about them keeping control of the games to minimize the chance for injuries.
    I don't know if being defending champions and the #1 ranking has put targets on our girls backs or our opponents were just venting their frustrations for the mauling we were giving them but there have been some very hard and intentional hits on our players and too many non calls or only 2 minutes in the box when there should have been ejections.
    There was a new official doing the Wisconsin/Tommies series this weekend, Sarma Pone. I Googled her and my eyes started bleeding.....turns out she's an ex rodent player. Not sure I'm liking that situation. She called nothing Friday, maybe a couple Saturday. Schlidt did the rest of the pointing to the sky.

Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
      Was that a different sport, or do the different leagues actually grade their refs on performance?
      Every league has a supervisor of officials. Greg Shepherd has had that role in the WCHA (used to be both genders) and I think Dan indicated on one broadcast that he still does. He meets with the officials after every game he attends. Obviously, he can't be at all of them. There must also be some sort of video review among the parties, but I have no idea of how that works. Coaches are also involved in grading officials.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      There was a new official doing the Wisconsin/Tommies series this weekend, Sarma Pone. I Googled her and my eyes started bleeding.....turns out she's an ex rodent player.
      She has officiated for many years, usually under the name Sarma Ozmen. I don't remember how long she's had the arm bands, but it has been a few.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

There was a new official doing the Wisconsin/Tommies series this weekend, Sarma Pone. I Googled her and my eyes started bleeding.....turns out she's an ex rodent player. Not sure I'm liking that situation. She called nothing Friday, maybe a couple Saturday. Schlidt did the rest of the pointing to the sky.
        Sometimes it's kind of a grey area given the fact that it is hockey and the fans do enjoy it when there are some physical moments but the reality is the really rough stuff belongs in the men's games but you also don't want every little thing get called either.
        But when your star Olympian is laying flat on the ice not moving your heart is instantly in your throat and you know it's the officials who let it get out of control. Calling a minor penalty on what we saw right in front of us instead of a major isn't controlling it. Just saying.
        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-10-2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

But when your star Olympian is laying flat on the ice not moving your heart is instantly in your throat ...
          Agreed, although once it gets to that point, it doesn't matter if it is a star or a person at the bottom of the depth chart on either team. Hockey injuries can be life-changing, and I don't want anyone suffering those. I remember the sound of an opposing player screaming in a suddenly-silent arena after going skates first into the boards and breaking her leg and would be happy to never hear that sound again.

Comment

Kato is knock, knock, knockin' on upset's door, but can't get in. Other than that, sadly from my point of view no real shocking results.

This week......
            Franklin Pierce at Tommies.
            UM h&h with Kato. Keep a knockin' Kato.
            UW at St. Cloud
            OSU at Beavers

Comment

Best of luck to the Beavers who face Ohio State this weekend.

https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/sport...uckeyes-return
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Best of luck to the Beavers who face Ohio State this weekend.

https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/sport...uckeyes-return
                Beavers hung in there for two and a half periods when it was tied at 2-2, but ultimately fall 2-5 with an empty netter in the final seconds. Sydney Morrow with the game winner on the power play.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Beavers hung in there for two and a half periods when it was tied at 2-2, but ultimately fall 2-5 with an empty netter in the final seconds. Sydney Morrow with the game winner on the power play.
                  Ultimately the Buckeyes were able to overpower the Beavers both days. But I was impressed that Bemidji kept battling when down 2-0, actually coming back to tie the game 2-2.

Bemidji State: Always a tough out.

In terms of newcomers on the Bemidji Roster, #10 Carney caught my eye. I thought she was strong in both games. Kind of a shame she was in the box on Morrow's GWG. But that's hockey...

Comment

Kato is knock, knock, knockin' on upset's door, but can't get in. Other than that, sadly from my point of view no real shocking results.

This week......
                    Franklin Pierce at Tommies.
                    UM h&h with Kato. Keep a knockin' Kato.
                    UW at St. Cloud
                    OSU at Beavers
                    Tommies split? WOW
                    MN wipes Kato out.
                    UW mega come from behind win in game 2, another WOW moment.
                    OSU takes care of business but has to sweat a bit in game 2.

MN is starting to make me think they are top dog due to them handling MSU better than OSU. My BADgers sure didn't help me out on Saturday.

Comment

MN is starting to make me think they are top dog due to them handling MSU better than OSU.
                      One variable is that tOSU faced the Mav's with Anna Wilgren. She started the first game versus UMD, hasn't played since, and Dan Hamman said something to the effect that she may be out for the season. That's a loss for them. MSU's Charlotte Akervik has also been out after starting the season opener and just returned Saturday. As UW saw last year, it makes a big difference if you start losing senior D.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        One variable is that tOSU faced the Mav's with Anna Wilgren. She started the first game versus UMD, hasn't played since, and Dan Hamman said something to the effect that she may be out for the season. That's a loss for them. MSU's Charlotte Akervik has also been out after starting the season opener and just returned Saturday. As UW saw last year, it makes a big difference if you start losing senior D.
                        Yeah that is a big deal. I appreciate the info. Now I can go back to not giving MN much respect haha. They probably are not much better then UMD, eh? wink.

Comment

They probably are not much better then UMD, eh?
                          Probably not much better than those teams UW blows off the ice. Don't you worry about those old Gophers at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            Probably not much better than those teams UW blows off the ice. Don't you worry about those old Gophers at all.
                            I'm sure the UW coaches & fans (TimothyA especially) will be paying VERY close attention when the Gophers come to Columbus in a little over a week!

Comment

I'm sure the UW coaches & fans (TimothyA especially) will be paying VERY close attention when the Gophers come to Columbus in a little over a week!
                              OSU has quite the mini schedule coming up with lots of those ugly colors coming to town 2 weeks in a row. WI doesn't play OSU until January, seems a little odd.

MSU at Tommies - that's a lot of purple. MSU should rack a couple W's.
                              UM St, Cloud home & home - Can St. Cloud make the rodents sweat like they did UW?
                              BSU at UW - Always a tough team to play, UW needs to take care of business as OSU and/or UMD are going to lose.
                              UMD at OSU - the marque matchup of the weekend. We'll see just how good OSU is.

What are the predictions for the big match-up? I have my doubts on both teams. UMD has 2 OT wins and a squeak out against MSU. OSU has 2 squeak out wins against MSU as well. OSU sweeps.

Comment

What are the predictions for the big match-up? I have my doubts on both teams. UMD has 2 OT wins and a squeak out against MSU. OSU has 2 squeak out wins against MSU as well. OSU sweeps.
                                For OSU it’s another week of managing the emotion of the day, as they celebrate alumni weekend and welcome back former players. I’m going to go with a split.

Until the two loaded rosters (Wisco and Minn) beat these teams I’ll hold the door open for them as potential champions.they’re built different but so well coached they can’t be counted out.

Minn at OSU should be wildly fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X