Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reggiedunlap9
    replied
    Timothy A "In BC's case, you also could ask....can it get any worse if they pick the wrong coach? BC is a very attractive job in a weak conference, so jumping back to the top wouldn't be so hard. It would be hard for BC to screw it up."

This is an easy one. The answer is NO- it cant get any worse ! BC could hire someone who has never watched a hockey game before and they would likely do a better job than Crowley. 4th place in Hockey East over the last 3 years is really bad. Beyond embarrasing. Hockey East is so bad right now that any high end player is isnt going to want to play in this league anymore if it doesn't change. Its that bad.

I've obviously thought a lot about this. If BC can find someone who can coach, recruit, communicate and work hard they will be back as a dominant program in the east in no time. But a change has to happen and it needs to happen soon.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    She inherited a 7th-place tOSU team that won 10 games and had them in the FF in her second season. A new coach adds some complementary pieces, but during that era, lots of the top players were still making verbal commitments as HS sophomores. You have to figure out how to use players that you didn't select. Two things that have stood out to me about her teams are that they are ready to execute their systems early in the season, and they work very hard. When they don't for a few shifts, she'll make the point emphatically, and they seem to be able to turn it on. Will that approach work long-term? Hard to say, and we likely won't know until they have a down/disappointing season. That's when players may tire of getting yelled at.

IMO, one of the key questions that isn't asked enough by an administration is, "Can we hire someone who will do better?" Too often, college programs make a change for the sake of change, just so it looks like the AD is doing something. An AD has to be realistic about their program/school when evaluating whether or not students are going to want to come to their school to play that sport. On the other hand, it is always difficult when you have a coach who has had success, but the program is now in decline. It isn't easy for a coach to turn around those situations, where a new coach at least looks like a new coat of paint on an otherwise old building.

For BC and all of the Hockey East teams, do the elite recruits want to play in a league that is no longer top tier? HEA doesn't have the momentum it had 10 or 15 years ago. It has been awhile since anyone other than Northeastern had any NCAA Tournament success, and now the league is relying on an autobid to get a team into an 11-team tournament. Is that what the next Poulin, Carpenter, or M?ller is looking for?
    Lemme tell ya, the Tosu lady coaches wear their emotions on the sleeves on the bench. A not-preferred action on the ice is responded to on the bench with some bad verbal language and bad physical expressions of displeasure. When you are winning, the players can handle it, but if the wheels fall off that will they then? Who knows. They also get jacked when they score. At the WI bench, if you just watched the coaches, you'd never know how the game was going. They are very different approaches. Both seem to work in today's enviroment.

Hiring someone better.....There comes a time when you just have to do it. Tosu, St. Cloud on the women's side, and MSU and UW on the men's side show how powerful a coaching change can be in the positive direction. MSU has a coach in year 2 and UW in year 1 and they have jumped UM, UM, UND Tosu and PSU and have gone from the basement to playing for a league title and are locks for the ncaa's. Both fired much loved Alumni coaches who did have success in the past, though not the degree of the BC Coach. In BC's case, you also could ask....can it get any worse if they pick the wrong coach? BC is a very attractive job in a weak conference, so jumping back to the top wouldn't be so hard. It would be hard for BC to screw it up.

It is amazing how the EZAC has just crushed Hockey Eazy.

Leave a comment:

• reggiedunlap9
    replied
    ARM "IMO, one of the key questions that isn't asked enough by an administration is, "Can we hire someone who will do better?" Too often, college programs make a change for the sake of change, just so it looks like the AD is doing something."

The answer is yes we can hire someone better. The BCWIH has been headed in the wrong direction for years. There is no indication that it is going to get better. None. If this was football, basketball, etc a change would have been made years ago.

"An AD has to be realistic about their program/school when evaluating whether or not students are going to want to come to their school to play that sport"

I can assure you 100% that female student athletes will want to come play hockey at BC. No disrespect to the other schools in the area there is no other place in the east that has as much to offer as BC. And yes that includes Harvard.

"On the other hand, it is always difficult when you have a coach who has had success, but the program is now in decline. It isn't easy for a coach to turn around those situations"

Unfortunately this is exactly the situation we are in now. Crowley had success for a long time when it was easy but then schools like Northeastern and UConn and others hired talented coaches and all of a sudden it got really competitive and for whatever reason BC just lost its way. More importantly, BC really hasn't been able to respond to this new competitive landscape of girls hockey.

"For BC and all of the Hockey East teams, do the elite recruits want to play in a league that is no longer top tier? HEA doesn't have the momentum it had 10 or 15 years ago. It has been awhile since anyone other than Northeastern had any NCAA Tournament success, and now the league is relying on an autobid to get a team into an 11-team tournament. Is that what the next Poulin, Carpenter, or M?ller is looking for?"

Good question. The answer is YES. There are tons of great players in the area who will always want to stay local and play for a school like BC. For whatever reason, BC has just done a terrible job of recruiting over the last 5-6 years. IMO, if the find the right coach who knows how to recruit, BC will quickly become a superpower in the east again and be participating in the NCAAS every year. Will they ever be able to beat the Badgers or the Gophers ? Maybe not but I think we should at least be in the tournament every year trying to !!

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    As far as OSU, is the Muzzinator a great coach or a great recruiter? She may be both, but without a doubt she is the best recruiter.
    She inherited a 7th-place tOSU team that won 10 games and had them in the FF in her second season. A new coach adds some complementary pieces, but during that era, lots of the top players were still making verbal commitments as HS sophomores. You have to figure out how to use players that you didn't select. Two things that have stood out to me about her teams are that they are ready to execute their systems early in the season, and they work very hard. When they don't for a few shifts, she'll make the point emphatically, and they seem to be able to turn it on. Will that approach work long-term? Hard to say, and we likely won't know until they have a down/disappointing season. That's when players may tire of getting yelled at.

IMO, one of the key questions that isn't asked enough by an administration is, "Can we hire someone who will do better?" Too often, college programs make a change for the sake of change, just so it looks like the AD is doing something. An AD has to be realistic about their program/school when evaluating whether or not students are going to want to come to their school to play that sport. On the other hand, it is always difficult when you have a coach who has had success, but the program is now in decline. It isn't easy for a coach to turn around those situations, where a new coach at least looks like a new coat of paint on an otherwise old building.

For BC and all of the Hockey East teams, do the elite recruits want to play in a league that is no longer top tier? HEA doesn't have the momentum it had 10 or 15 years ago. It has been awhile since anyone other than Northeastern had any NCAA Tournament success, and now the league is relying on an autobid to get a team into an 11-team tournament. Is that what the next Poulin, Carpenter, or M?ller is looking for?

Leave a comment:

• reggiedunlap9
    replied
    vicb Thanks for the info. I was just using the Clarkson coach as an example. He is obviously a great coach being the only Eastern school to win an NCAA Championship so I hope he is highly compensated. If they do it right, I think BC could bring in a potential home run hire. Something has to be done. 4th place in Hockey East for 3 straight years ! Enough is enough

Leave a comment:

• vicb
    replied
    Originally posted by reggiedunlap9 View Post
    Fathead ..... However, I have no idea what the ... Clarkson head coach makes for a salary but my guess is BC plays at least 2x as much. Maybe more. .......
    Sorry. No more 4th place at BC
    Tax form 990 lists the compensation of the Men's hockey coach at both BC (Jeremah York Head Hockey Coach) and Clarkson (Leonard Ceglarski Head Hockey Coach) as one of the "Highly Compensated Employees". BC pays double the amount.
    Tax form 990 for BC does not list the BC Woman's hockey coach as one of the "Highly Compensated Employees". The Clarkson Women's Head Coach on Tax Form 990 is one of the "Highly Compensated Employees". If you want to know you can look it up but I do not list personal information.

You already took Ceglarski from Clarkson, lets not make it a 2 fer

Leave a comment:

• Fathead
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    They also graduated from BC and got their diploma and loved it here. I have no beef with them. Was certainly sad to see them go though. I talk to Cayla's mom a lot.

We should see less of this going forward nationally. I think this season is the least year where everyone has a 5th year of eligibility from the COVID year.

Next season will be the last. This year's seniors have one more year.

Leave a comment:

• reggiedunlap9
    replied
    Fathead You might be right Re Northeastern/Colgate. However, I have no idea what the UConn and Clarkson coaches make for a salary but my guess is BC plays at least 2x as much. Maybe more. Nothing against these schools, but If these coaches can have this type of success at places like Storrs Ct and Potsdam Ny can you imagine the success they would have at BC with all of those resources ? You might be right that they would never leave but lets at least try and find out !

Sorry. No more 4th place at BC

Leave a comment:

• TonyTheTiger20
    replied
    Originally posted by Fathead View Post
    Barnes and Bilka I can forgive because they were going to have a chance to win a national championship in their last year, which they had no chance with BC.
    They also graduated from BC and got their diploma and loved it here. I have no beef with them. Was certainly sad to see them go though. I talk to Cayla's mom a lot.

We should see less of this going forward nationally. I think this season is the last year where everyone has a 5th year of eligibility from the COVID year.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; Yesterday, 03:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fathead
    replied
    Originally posted by reggiedunlap9 View Post
    All good points.

As far as BC situation is concerned, they clearly have an issue with recruiting having made so many scholarship mistakes of the last 5-6 years. I mean you are never going to be perfect when it comes to offering scholarships but the mistakes that BC has made over the last few years is jaw dropping. I mean just pure swing and misses. They have kids on scholarships that never hit the ice.

The bigger issue I have with them, however, is their inability to keep the good players at school. Barnes, Bilka, Watts, Lonagan, ? These are some of the best players in the US. Why do they all want to leave BC ? Can someone please explain that to me ? Makes no sense. I cant wait to see if more leave again this year.

As far as a replacement for Crowley ? I'd start with Northeastern, Colgate, Clarkson and UConn coaches. They are all really good. Would they leave to come to BC ? I have no idea but lets find out
    Barnes and Bilka I can forgive because they were going to have a chance to win a national championship in their last year, which they had no chance with BC. Watts and Lonergan are really the big issue. As far as replacements, I doubt any of those four head coaches would leave for BC. They all are pretty well set up in their respective situations. I'd be interested in an up and coming assistant from one of those schools. All four have top notch assistants who can recruit and coach and have relationships with the top up and coming recruits and the programs they come from. Time to move on from mining just the Jr. Eagles, New Hampton and the Breakers.

Leave a comment:

• reggiedunlap9
    replied
    All good points.

As far as BC situation is concerned, they clearly have an issue with recruiting having made so many scholarship mistakes of the last 5-6 years. I mean you are never going to be perfect when it comes to offering scholarships but the mistakes that BC has made over the last few years is jaw dropping. I mean just pure swing and misses. They have kids on scholarships that never hit the ice.

The bigger issue I have with them, however, is their inability to keep the good players at school. Barnes, Bilka, Watts, Lonagan, ? These are some of the best players in the US. Why do they all want to leave BC ? Can someone please explain that to me ? Makes no sense. I cant wait to see if more leave again this year.

As far as a replacement for Crowley ? I'd start with Northeastern, Colgate, Clarkson and UConn coaches. They are all really good. Would they leave to come to BC ? I have no idea but lets find out

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    St Cloud has two goalies at or above a .94 save percentage with 9 shutouts total. I guess if you want to attribute a tight defensive scheme to the reason for such stellar goaltending that can be extrapolated to the coach.

As far as OSU, is the Muzzinator a great coach or a great recruiter? She may be both, but without a doubt she is the best recruiter.

You can always change coaches, but unless that new coach can attract better talent, the program will be spinning wheels

I'm interested in the BU outcome with the coaching change. The results have not been immediate there for sure.

Fargo at Colgate would be another success story. When he took that program over, the program was in shambles. That guy can recruit and has an eye for projecting talent.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    I'm very bummed out about the tunnelers who have gone down the tubes but then I come to this thread and it doesn't seem quite so bad. Minnesota still is a top five team even though they have fallen behind the sinners and yuckeyes. Finishing 3rd in a very strong WCHA conference isn't great but compared to bc finishing 4th in a weak Hockey East. Oh vay...

And as TimothyA correctly pointed out coaching changes can be very good for a program.

Leave a comment:

• reggiedunlap9
    replied
    Reddington Thanks for thinking on me. Its nice to be able to chat with someone online about how painful this is. Its good for my mental health actually

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    A change in coaching is not always the rainbow that you think it will be . . . Take a look at Syracuse and Harvard as recent examples of changes that have not exactly worked out for those programs.
    It worked out great for OSU and St. Cloud.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X