No announcement yet.

BC Women's Hockey 2023: Back In Contention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tedlasso You wont seem to give up on your point about accountability with some of the other players not "buying in" so I will try and address. Browne and Guay are 2 great examples of very good players that came to BC and never really developed. I have no idea what happened to Browne this year. She must have been hurt. Crowley seemed to bury her all year. To my knowledge, she never once was on the same line with Bilka which surprised me. Even on power plays BC never put their 5 best players on the ice. Take a look at their Power play stats last season. At one time was like 7% and one of worst PPs in the country. This is again an example of poor coaching. Having a PP that bad all season is completely unacceptable when you have talent like that.

I have no idea what happened to Guay either. She's a tremendous talent that never seemed to improve over her 4 years either.

Newhook had a strong season. I cant imagine she would stay at BC if no changes are made and this mediocrity continues

Comment

Word on the street is that BC landed defenseman Jade Arnone from Harvard this week.

Comment

Hahahahaha!

"MA youth hockey is in a serious decline relative to elsewhere. As a result, here we are."

Yeah, there are no resources for girls hockey in Mass........except the top two girls programs in the Country are under 10 miles from BC.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/associa...rls&country=US

(PS, many of those kids are IMPORTS to Mass).

Oh yeah and the only program that realistically competes with SSM, never mind the NE Prep School League.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2022&v=2214

https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2022&v=2213

GONG. Try again.

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Much appreciated.

BC's problems lie at a much more macro level than "The coach is bad," it goes all the way down to New England youth hockey on the decline relative to out west. The western teams have (1) more talent to choose from and (2) fewer college teams among whom to divvy up that talent. MA youth hockey gets nowhere near the resources as, say, MN, and it's really starting to hurt not just us, but eastern hockey as a whole. Just look at the NCAA tournament this year.

Northeastern has largely been able to avoid the effects of the declines of eastern youth hockey by finding a niche recruiting internationally. Look at the other programs out here who have had some success lately -- Clarkson, Colgate, etc., these teams are loaded with Canadians and foreign players. BC cannot really go down this route unless it's an elite player who were going to offer a scholarship to, because BC does not offer need-based aid to foreign students. So with us not being a destination for top foreign talent, we get far fewer of them than the other schools.

Look at Barnes (California) and Bilka (Texas). Not from MA. Came to BC. Loved BC. But can you blame them for getting their diploma and trying to win some hardware out west before their eligiblity is up? I can't.

Recruiting MA talent has always been BC's bread and butter. MA youth hockey is in a serious decline relative to elsewhere. As a result, here we are.

I don't really know what the solution is for BC or the other schools out here trying to recruit locally, but you need only look at the ever-growing dominance of the WCHA -- even relative to what it used to be -- to see that while BC's decline is more dramatic relative to how far they've had to fall, they are not the only ones feeling the effects of this.

This is really much larger than just being a BC problem.

Comment

Yes, your prognosis (with a tinge bit of optimism) was excellent. Best of luck in 2023-24.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Cpl37 View Post
            Hahahahaha!

"MA youth hockey is in a serious decline relative to elsewhere. As a result, here we are."

Yeah, there are no resources for girls hockey in Mass........except the top two girls programs in the Country are under 10 miles from BC.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/associa...rls&country=US
            Chicago Mission is within 10 miles of Boston College?

Oh yeah and the only program that realistically competes with SSM, never mind the NE Prep School League.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2022&v=2214
            I'm not sure what your point is with this. It is explicitly a list of New England prep schools with a girls' hockey team, and nothing else. It certainly doesn't establish that New England (let alone Massachusetts specifically) is providing more opportunities relative to elsewhere. The Minnesota State High School League has more than twice as many schools that participate in girls hockey.

Again, I'm not sure what your point is. Of the fifteen teams listed here, only three are in New England.

Your argument seems to be that only prep schools matter. As I said previously, I think this is a weakness, not a strength.

Comment

Recruiting for any women's college hockey team has to cast a net over all of North American, you will go nowhere if you just pigeon hole yourself to a region (unless you are MN).
              Last edited by Timothy A; 04-01-2023, 08:41 AM.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Recruiting for any women's college hockey team has to cast a net over all of North American, you will no no where if you just pigeon hole yourself to a region (unless you are MN).
                And even Minnesota has 2 European Olympians on their team

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  And even Minnesota has 2 European Olympians on their team
                  Very interesting indeed that they ignore Canada and all land east of the Mississippi completely and go across the pond for a few players. I can't recall UW having a European player during my time following the team, about 14 years.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Very interesting indeed that they ignore Canada and all land east of the Mississippi completely and go across the pond for a few players.
                    There are certain places where the Gophers have had a few exceptions over the years. Both Chicago and B.C. have been well represented.

But this thread belongs to another maroon and gold team, so ...

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Oh wow, the rankings flipped. Only two of the top three club teams in the country. Wow, Mass really is in trouble.

Backsolve on the NEG Prep School league on where those kids land and then tell me that BC's woes are because there are no recruits to draw from in the area. What a joke.

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

Chicago Mission is within 10 miles of Boston College?

I'm not sure what your point is with this. It is explicitly a list of New England prep schools with a girls' hockey team, and nothing else. It certainly doesn't establish that New England (let alone Massachusetts specifically) is providing more opportunities relative to elsewhere. The Minnesota State High School League has more than twice as many schools that participate in girls hockey.

Again, I'm not sure what your point is. Of the fifteen teams listed here, only three are in New England.

Your argument seems to be that only prep schools matter. As I said previously, I think this is a weakness, not a strength.

Comment

• Hasn't NAHA moved to Boston from Vermont?

Comment

• Yes NAHA is now in Boston and they are really struggling. I doubt they will be around in another 3-4 years. They simply cant compete up here with all of these great prep school options

While on the subject of BC and their lazy recruiting efforts, legend has it that when the NAHA head coach contacted BC a few years back about Tessa Janecke (National Freshman of the year/now Team USA) that BC said that they had never heard of her and had no more room.

You just cant make this stuff up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Very interesting indeed that they ignore Canada and all land east of the Mississippi completely and go across the pond for a few players. I can't recall UW having a European player during my time following the team, about 14 years.
                            The Badgers have never had a European player. Odd little factoid.

Comment

• I heard yesterday that BCs second best defenseman, Alexis Guay has transferred to Clarkson for a 5th year. I understand that no one wants to talk about this but, again, can someone please explain to me why so many talented players have left the BC Women's hockey program over the last 5-6 years ? Does the BC Athletic Director actually think this is normal ? And please TonyTheTiger20 spare me the nonsense about how you understand why the players all left and how Crowley is rebuilding the program. The BC WIH program is a dumpster fire ! Did anyone else watch Kayla Barnes, Bilka and Levy win a gold medal last night ?

Sorry but its time for a new coach. This needs to stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by reggiedunlap9 View Post
                                I heard yesterday that BCs second best defenseman, Alexis Guay has transferred to Clarkson for a 5th year. I understand that no one wants to talk about this but, again, can someone please explain to me why so many talented players have left the BC Women's hockey program over the last 5-6 years ? Does the BC Athletic Director actually think this is normal ? And please TonyTheTiger20 spare me the nonsense about how you understand why the players all left and how Crowley is rebuilding the program. The BC WIH program is a dumpster fire ! Did anyone else watch Kayla Barnes, Bilka and Levy win a gold medal last night ?

Sorry but its time for a new coach. This needs to stop.
                                And one of Clarkson's best defensemen Stef Markowski decided to transfer to Ohio State for her 5th year. It is what it is. Talented players leave one program for another.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X