Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the link to that video, it's eye-opening

Comment

• My takeaway from the podcast was the fact that hazing is illegal in Massachusetts and within the NCAA. This begs the question as to whether or not my classmate Charlie Baker will investigate. An NCAA investigation as long as it isn't a sham might be the final nail in the coffin and put pressure on Harvard to make available the results of their internal investigation. Either way, Coach Stone and AD McDermott need to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

When you say, 'end of term', do you mean the end of this semester? If the findings support the removal of Coach Stone, that won't provide much time for finding and installing her replacement. And her replacement will have to use the transfer portal to bring in players for next year's team due to the lack of recruits committed for next year. And hopefully stem the outflow of players leaving Harvard.
        According to https://collegecommitments.com, six incoming students were reported for Harvard for this coming fall since Wednesday 4/19. This includes two D and four forwards. I couldn't find something contradicting this about any of them, though the info on that site doesn't seem to be entirely mistake-free. Depending on the news source, the investigation will be done by either the end of April or the end of the spring term.

Here's to hopefully bluer skies in Allston for the next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by BowWowWow View Post

According to https://collegecommitments.com, six incoming students were reported for Harvard for this coming fall since Wednesday 4/19. This includes two D and four forwards. I couldn't find something contradicting this about any of them, though the info on that site doesn't seem to be entirely mistake-free. Depending on the news source, the investigation will be done by either the end of April or the end of the spring term.

Here's to hopefully bluer skies in Allston for the next season.
          Couldn't find the list using your link so I went and did a little bit of research and came up with this link which lists the players you referenced: https://www.therinklive.com/womens-d...ns-commitments
          Last edited by Skate79; 04-25-2023, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• These dates are either fake or a “recommit” date….McDonald and Manning are ones that have been committed for YEARS. Both Nobles girls that I have watched. This feels like the real estate game of relisting a. House to spark interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
              These dates are either fake or a “recommit” date….McDonald and Manning are ones that have been committed for YEARS. Both Nobles girls that I have watched.
              It’s great to hear your direct knowledge of the subject (rather than only via that website)!

Comment

• Harvard investigation winding down: https://theathletic.com/4500054/2023...gation-update/

Comment

• Originally posted by top cheese View Post
                  Harvard investigation winding down: https://theathletic.com/4500054/2023...gation-update/
                  There is a paywall.....once Hawvawd gets it, technically they dont have to make any findings public since they are a private school, correct?
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by top cheese View Post
                    Harvard investigation winding down: https://theathletic.com/4500054/2023...gation-update/
                    Interesting that Lee J Mirasolo is taking the Stonehill job. Smart move to get out now as opposed to waiting for the axe to fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

There is a paywall.....once Hawvawd gets it, technically they dont have to make any findings public since they are a private school, correct?
                      Technically, yes, you're correct. However, in this day and age of social media, it won't be surprising to see some, or all of the report come to light via the Athletic or the Boston Globe. Especially if and when they decide to clean house and bring in a new coaching staff.

Comment

Interesting that Lee J Mirasolo is taking the Stonehill job. Smart move to get out now as opposed to waiting for the axe to fall.
                        There are several strange aspects to this:

Why was she suddenly incapable of working at Harvard only once the **** hit the fan and had to "go on leave", but is perfectly capable of working elsewhere beginning immediately?

Why has this been publicly reported, and presumably as per the article she told the Harvard players, but there has been no announcement at Stonehill?

Why, when there were presumably ample qualified candidates, would Stonehill choose to hire a coach with such controversy surrounding her: not just being happilyassociated with Stone for so many years, but having made racist statements herself in the recent past?

Given Harvard's long track record at protecting Stone (and other abusers) all these years, and long-term disinterest in the well-being of it's athletes, as well as the continued hubris of Stone in surviving what should have been unsurvivable long before now, what makes you so sure the axe is actually going to fall?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trillium View Post

There are several strange aspects to this:

Why was she suddenly incapable of working at Harvard only once the **** hit the fan and had to "go on leave", but is perfectly capable of working elsewhere beginning immediately?

Why has this been publicly reported, and presumably as per the article she told the Harvard players, but there has been no announcement at Stonehill?

Why, when there were presumably ample qualified candidates, would Stonehill choose to hire a coach with such controversy surrounding her: not just being happilyassociated with Stone for so many years, but having made racist statements herself in the recent past?

Given Harvard's long track record at protecting Stone (and other abusers) all these years, and long-term disinterest in the well-being of it's athletes, as well as the continued hubris of Stone in surviving what should have been unsurvivable long before now, what makes you so sure the axe is actually going to fall?
                          It's quite possible the leave of absence was for real. Although I agree that it doesn't make much sense to call it a leave when in fact, she really wanted to be a head coach and the Stonehill opportunity presented itself. But I'll stand by my statement that it was smart for her to disassociate herself from the dumpster fire that has become Harvard women's hockey and grab this chance. Whether or not Stonehill did their due diligence is a separate matter altogether. I don't know if the axe is going to fall but if you were on the coaching staff, wouldn't you make every effort to distance yourself from the program rather than let Harvard decide if you stay or go?

Comment

• I've spoken with two players who graduated in the last few years and they are on completely opposite sides of this debate. It will be interesting to see what the report finds as it sounds like it is a complex and nuanced issue from speaking with these young women. As an example, one said that the infamous naked skate was the most fun night of the year, it was voluntary and a tradition. It sounds like there are all kinds of opinions on this. I don't envy the investigators in trying to come to a decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3811041
                              I've spoken with two players who graduated in the last few years and they are on completely opposite sides of this debate. It will be interesting to see what the report finds as it sounds like it is a complex and nuanced issue from speaking with these young women. As an example, one said that the infamous naked skate was the most fun night of the year, it was voluntary and a tradition. It sounds like there are all kinds of opinions on this. I don't envy the investigators in trying to come to a decision.
                              That's why these firms charge the big bucks; to wade through what seems difficult and nuanced to come to a set of conclusions that ensure the safety and well-being of the student athletes. And in this particular case, I'm not sure you can put the words "voluntary" and "tradition" in the same sentence. Everything we have learned so far seems to point to that naked skate as being anything but voluntary.

Comment

That's why these firms charge the big bucks; to wade through what seems difficult and nuanced to come to a set of conclusions that ensure the safety and well-being of the student athletes. And in this particular case, I'm not sure you can put the words "voluntary" and "tradition" in the same sentence. Everything we have learned so far seems to point to that naked skate as being anything but voluntary.
                                I'm not sure what has been learned to date other than media reports and the media, at best, is suspect. I think if someone on the team states it was voluntary and a tradition, that is direct evidence. Obviously other players may feel differently or believed that they were pressured. The whole issue is the perceptions of the participants.

Comment

Working...
                                X