Harvard 2022-23: What's Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    The Yale players were laughing both on the bench and on the ice.
    "Back in the Day" this would have been considered poor sportsmanship.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Pellicci was hung out to dry by her teammates

A ramped up #2 Yale team steamrolled a demoralized #26 Harvard team. Pellicci was hung out to dry by her coach.

Down 6-1 at the end of two, instead of pulling a shell-shocked goalie, who was essentially defenseless, Stone chose to send her back out to start the third, where the onslaught continued and she surrendered two more goals. Now she’s pulled, as if she was simply having a bad game, and replaced by Boynton, making her second appearance of the season, as if she could now stop the bleeding. Start the third with Boynton (!), saying “Kid, this one’s lost, that's what you’re here for, we’ve got to give Pellicci a break, she’ll be back for more next weekend, and so will you, lemme see what you can do, I certainly don’t expect anything to turn around but the shelling will condition you for down the road, good luck.”

Pellicci is the player from whom Stone has asked the most all season and is the player who has given her team the most all season. I’ve seen the occasional weird move with the coach and her goalies over the years, but this struck me as the height of insensitivity. Unfortunately, a very telling move at the end of this season.

Comment

• and does anyone even mention the fact that Lindsay Reed, maybe the top goaltender in the US decided NOT TO PLAY this year at Harvard(her Senior year !) because of Stones mental abuse ? This kid was on the US U18 team a few years back and Stone drove her out of the game because she was starting a business during Covid. It is simply unacceptable.

Comment

• Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

Start the third with Boynton (!), saying “Kid, this one’s lost, that's what you’re here for, we’ve got to give Pellicci a break, she’ll be back for more next weekend, and so will you, lemme see what you can do, I certainly don’t expect anything to turn around but the shelling will condition you for down the road, good luck.”
          No coach in their right mind, not even Stone, would say what you said here. This is the ultimate slap in the face to Boynton and while I presume you were kidding with this quote, it's unseemly. I too was surprised when Pellicci came out to start the third period. It was a bad move all around. Still, I'm not letting the players off the hook here. Pellicci is their teammate and deserved to have them at least try to put up some resistance on her behalf.

Comment

Pellicci is their teammate and deserved to have them at least try to put up some resistance on her behalf.
            I agree. It's been my experience that the bonds between the players on a team are much stronger than those formed between others in sports (e.g. player/coach), similar to how the bonds within a nucleus are stronger than those between a nucleus and electrons. It seems strange to me that any coach would attempt to intentionally drive a wedge between the players, as Stone has reportedly done. The most powerful driving force in team sports is to do it for the person next to you. Why would a coach intentionally compromise that.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I agree. It's been my experience that the bonds between the players on a team are much stronger than those formed between others in sports (e.g. player/coach), similar to how the bonds within a nucleus are stronger than those between a nucleus and electrons. It seems strange to me that any coach would attempt to intentionally drive a wedge between the players, as Stone has reportedly done. The most powerful driving force in team sports is to do it for the person next to you. Why would a coach intentionally compromise that.
              Thats a great question. Ive been asking it for 5 years now.......

Comment

• Originally posted by reggiedunlap9 View Post
                and does anyone even mention the fact that Lindsay Reed, maybe the top goaltender in the US decided NOT TO PLAY this year at Harvard(her Senior year !) because of Stones mental abuse ? This kid was on the US U18 team a few years back and Stone drove her out of the game because she was starting a business during Covid. It is simply unacceptable.
                Reed was (is) an outstanding athlete and was in the talk for the Patty Kaz in her freshman year. her leaving the team in her senior year speaks volumes.. Hopefully now, someone is listening..

Comment

• Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

A ramped up #2 Yale team steamrolled a demoralized #26 Harvard team. Pellicci was hung out to dry by her coach.

Down 6-1 at the end of two, instead of pulling a shell-shocked goalie, who was essentially defenseless, Stone chose to send her back out to start the third, where the onslaught continued and she surrendered two more goals. Now she’s pulled, as if she was simply having a bad game, and replaced by Boynton, making her second appearance of the season, as if she could now stop the bleeding. Start the third with Boynton (!), saying “Kid, this one’s lost, that's what you’re here for, we’ve got to give Pellicci a break, she’ll be back for more next weekend, and so will you, lemme see what you can do, I certainly don’t expect anything to turn around but the shelling will condition you for down the road, good luck.”

Pellicci is the player from whom Stone has asked the most all season and is the player who has given her team the most all season. I’ve seen the occasional weird move with the coach and her goalies over the years, but this struck me as the height of insensitivity. Unfortunately, a very telling move at the end of this season.
                  You are giving Stone way too much credit here, in thinking she has strung together a sentence that long during a game to any player on the bench...

Comment

The most powerful driving force in team sports is to do it for the person next to you. Why would a coach intentionally compromise that.
                    No question, playing for your teammates is priority one. From the stars to the players on the end of the bench, you pull for each other and support each other through good times and bad. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with this team. And I don't have a good answer for you regarding your question. I could make a thousand guesses and none of them would be close to being accurate. At this point, it's probably best to move forward and hope for a complete housecleaning with appropriate measures to ensure this never happens again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prowler View Post

Reed was (is) an outstanding athlete and was in the talk for the Patty Kaz in her freshman year. her leaving the team in her senior year speaks volumes. Hopefully now, someone is listening.
                      Don't count on it.

Comment

The most powerful driving force in team sports is to do it for the person next to you. Why would a coach intentionally compromise that.
                        Trillium answered the question perfectly. The short answer is malignant narcissism. The long answer is… just read the last several pages of this thread.

Comment

• This article tells me all I need to know about the Harvard Athletic department. Mcdermott has no comments about these serious allegations regarding Coach Stone but instead wants to talk about Harvard Athletics policy on Diversity and Inclusion ? Just remarkable.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...k-initiatives/

Comment

This article tells me all I need to know about the Harvard Athletic department. Mcdermott has no comments about these serious allegations regarding Coach Stone but instead wants to talk about Harvard Athletics policy on Diversity and Inclusion ? Just remarkable.

An apology to the team after the fact when the three indigenous ladies were not present is no apology at all. If she had truly seen the error she made and wanted to make a proper apology, she should have reached out the those three FIRST, or at least at some point. That has STLL never happened. If the athletic department really thinks that this story is going to make everyone forget about the years of abuse these girls have suffered at the hands of Coach Stone, they are sadly mistaken.. The tone deafness of this piece is astounding.

Comment

• "McDermott said Harvard Athletics will be administering a redesigned survey next year that resembles Harvard’s Q Guide, a course evaluation tool used by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences."

If the Q Guide resembles the Confi Guide to Courses at Harvard when I was a student, then this redesign will be an absolute joke. Everyone on campus used the Confi Guide to find easy courses to augment their major especially those in the sciences. Half the fun of reading the Confi Guide was finding quotes from students poking fun at courses or professors.

How MacDermott was chosen to lead the Athletics Department is beyond me.

Comment

This article tells me all I need to know about the Harvard Athletic department. Mcdermott has no comments about these serious allegations regarding Coach Stone but instead wants to talk about Harvard Athletics policy on Diversity and Inclusion ? Just remarkable.

This is amazing. McDermott has no comment for The Crimson, while at the same time is actively soliciting former players to voice their support for Coach Stone? That sure sounds like she has an opinion on the matter to me!

There is an obvious conflict of interest here in that the AD cannot differentiate between right/wrong, moral/immoral, impartiality/discrimination - and certainly has an odd definition of the word "Hazing". Imagine being the head of a prestigious athletic department, being trained in compliance and protocol in the event of such accusations, and then telling a player "That's not hazing....but the team isn't allowed to do it anymore."

Where is Larry Bacow on this subject? I know he is one foot out the door, but it is still under his watch. Also Tim Troville, who has direct supervision over Women's Ice Hockey - is he asleep at the switch too?

To tell the truth, I'm almost surprised the 41 other varsity coaches haven't revolted yet due to impartial treatment, not to mention disgust.

The more you lie, the deeper the cover-up gets - and don't ever forget about this guy!

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e=featurephone

Comment

Working...
                                X