No announcement yet.

Harvard 2022-23: What's Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ding Dong the witch is dead. It really shouldn’t have taken nearly this long to negotiate severance.

Comment

• From today's Boston Globe:

Harvard women’s hockey coach Katey Stone retires - The Boston Globe

The statement was carefully worded and I'm guessing that she had to sign some form of a waiver not to come after the University. Either that or the law firm's "investigation" yielded new information from women who came forward that made it obvious something had to be done.
      Last edited by Skate79; 06-06-2023, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trillium View Post
        Ding Dong the witch is dead. It really shouldn’t have taken nearly this long to negotiate severance.
        Maybe Ella can add a bit of class to what has been a cluster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eZTErPOQkA&t=21s
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• So Stone is finally out, Lee-J has moved on too...who is the next head coach? An alumna coaching elsewhere? The best available coach regardless of if they have previous ties to the program or not?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

• I did not think this would be the result. I am happy for womens hockey everywhere. Let this serve as a reminder that coaching 20 years ago is not what coaching today is. Would love to see MC come back but why would She….bummer that Shelly Picard just took job at LIU.

Comment

Ding Dong the witch is dead. It really shouldn’t have taken nearly this long to negotiate severance.
              She is getting off far to easy in my opinion, and I don't think this is the end of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                So Stone is finally out, Lee-J has moved on too...who is the next head coach? An alumna coaching elsewhere? The best available coach regardless of if they have previous ties to the program or not?

Guessing that Harvard will look for a young and upcoming coach from a program that is nationally recognized. Whoever comes aboard will need to fix the culture first and foremost. And that may take a while given all that has gone on in the past twenty-plus years.

Comment

• What is disturbing is that the AD remains

Comment

• How about asking the program's first coach, Joe Bertagna, to take the reins as interim head coach for 2023-2024? Uniquely experienced at starting a Harvard women's hockey program from scratch.....

And wondering how many, if any, of the players who dropped out but are still eligible will be interested in rejoining the team

Comment

What is disturbing is that the AD remains
                      I agree there is objectively a good case to fire the AD based on her ra-ra Katey attitude in response to the internal investigation over the summer, which then allowed this whole situation to blow up in the Globe and the Athletic. It would've probably been better for everyone if Katey had stepped down more quietly back then.

But you can't fire the AD and not fire any associate AD who was in charge of oversight for women's hockey as well. It'd be pretty rich to fire Harvard's first female AD, but not fire any male associate AD responsible for overseeing women's hockey for many years before the AD arrived.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

Guessing that Harvard will look for a young and upcoming coach from a program that is nationally recognized. Whoever comes aboard will need to fix the culture first and foremost. And that may take a while given all that has gone on in the past twenty-plus years.
                        Natalie Darwitz disappeared from the Gophers coaching staff last week?

Comment

• Originally posted by dave1381 View Post

I agree there is objectively a good case to fire the AD based on her ra-ra Katey attitude in response to the internal investigation over the summer, which then allowed this whole situation to blow up in the Globe and the Athletic. It would've probably been better for everyone if Katey had stepped down more quietly back then.

But you can't fire the AD and not fire any associate AD who was in charge of oversight for women's hockey as well. It'd be pretty rich to fire Harvard's first female AD, but not fire any male associate AD responsible for overseeing women's hockey for many years before the AD arrived.
                          There may very well be a good case to fire others in the Athletics dept for not addressing systemic problems that had been previously brought to light, not only in WIH but in other sports. These problems still need to be addressed. This is not just a Stone problem. There have been 8 investigations in recent years.

There is the possibility however that associates have brought issues to the attention of the AD, who was the one who then chose not to act on them.

The J&B investigation was broader than just Stone: why did athletes and their families not more often report issues? When they did repeatedly did over the last decade, why was nothing done? There is lots more culpability to still be addressed. It will be interesting to see if it will be.

By her words and actions, EM was a big supporter of Stone and apparently saw nothing to be concerned about. She has demonstrated poor judgement and a lack of leadership. This is the person they want to lead the process of finding Stone’s successor?!! Not a good look

Comment

For now. To fire the AD on the heels of Stone's exit would be the acknowledgement of dysfunction and scandal that Stone's “retirement” statement is designed to avoid, and so would be a PR gaff worthy of McDermott herself. A seemly interval has to pass before she gets her “Onward and Outward” email. Meanwhile her punishment will be to live on borrowed time. Should other heads roll? Yes, but we should live so long.

Btw, what’s Sami Reber doing these days?
                            Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 06-07-2023, 08:09 AM.

Comment

This one blew me away as well.....McDermott neglected her duties to protect players. Hazing is against the law in MA. When it is reported, everything stops and it is sent up to local authorities. Why didn't that happen here? Was EM not trained enough in recognising hazing in her own program, or was she protecting somebody or something? Is the word of a player (now transferred) not enough? After speaking with captains, coaches and players, is it acceptable to say "That's not hazing, but you just aren't allowed to do it anymore?" There is no excuse for this incompetence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckluck89 View Post

Natalie Darwitz disappeared from the Gophers coaching staff last week?
                                Darwitz has always publicly been about gigs that keep her close to home. It was one of the things she said was why Hamline was her first collegiate coaching gig.

My guess is her destination is the open Whitecaps gig but her lifestyle may have changed since she said that about Hamline...

Comment

Working...
                                X