Harvard 2022-23: What's Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hab View Post
    What a great post thirdtime's! Throughout all of the controversy surrounding Harvard this year I kept thinking about the players and what they must be going through. I did not see the series with Yale, but given the box score, and knowing the strength of the Yale team, I just have to assume that some real character players donned the Harvard jerseys for that series and played with pride.
    Well, they certainly played better than the regular season finale but, in the end, Yale was too much for the Crimson. The shot totals didn't lie. It was only a matter of time before Yale won both games. That said, I give a lot of credit to KDR and Bloomer for playing hard and trying to set an example for their younger teammates.

Comment

• Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
      Imagine, if you can, what it must have been like for these players to have to relate to a fallen mentor on an almost daily basis. What does one do with such bewilderment? Well, this team laced 'em up, hopped over the boards and played the game as best they could. There were not a lot of points put up on the score sheet this season, but there must been many motivational points put up in the locker room in order to hold this team together. One would like to think that it was the captains of this small, very green group who led the way here, but, in this environment, who can say? Different players must have stood up at different times before a serially disheartened group. There was just one individual standout on the ice this season (in goal, fittingly, where a record number of saves had to be made), but collectively the team stood out in a way we could not have foreseen, and in a way that needs to be acknowledged as special.
      I'm not sure I would characterize Stone as a mentor given what we have learned about her since the Globe article was published. Fallen, yes, but mentor, no way. Poor characterization. I do agree that one or more players probably tried to keep it together to prevent a mass exodus; we'll know more when we see who returns next season. Hopefully as you say, someone stood up in the room and tried to be a voice of reason. Given what we know about the bullying and hazing, I'm skeptical that there was any trust amongst the players, particularly the freshmen, for their more experienced teammates making a plea to come together. I see this as dysfunctional on many levels and for the younger players, the most trying year of their lives. Let's hope that this mess gets resolved quickly with a search committee for a new coach in place in the near future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        I'm not sure I would characterize Stone as a mentor given what we have learned about her since the Globe article was published.
        Most definitely anything but a mentor. Tormenter is the most accurate description.

Comment

• Although this story is all based on the original Globe article, it points out some important highlights that the globe doesn't touch on. This was from Feb 24th, and there is more coming.
          https://sportslitigationalert.com/lo...iscrimination/

Comment

• From the link that Prowler provided in his post:

"While Athletic Director McDermott offered unequivocal support for Stone, she did indicate that there was some kind of expectation (perhaps a personal improvement plan) that Stone would work on her communication and response to feedback."

This is beyond weak. A personal improvement plan? Seriously? I think the longer Coach Stone remains the in place, the less likely changes will be made. I can easily see player transfers and recruit decommits as other teams and coaches swoop in to lure the Crimson players away from Harvard.

Comment

• Based on my last post, I decided to see if I could find a recruiting site for women hockey players. Came across this site. Note that Brown has five times as many recruits as Harvard. No way to know the accuracy of the list. For reference, the men's counterpart is spot on with up to date recruits.

RinkNet College Commitments List

Comment

• Now a story in the Athletic ?

STONE HAS TO GO. WHAT IS HARVARD WAITING FOR ?

https://theathletic.com/4288145/2023...g-katey-stone/

Comment

• Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                  Although this story is all based on the original Globe article, it points out some important highlights that the globe doesn't touch on. This was from Feb 24th, and there is more coming.
                  https://sportslitigationalert.com/lo...iscrimination/
                  This reads like the same "complaints" that were lodged against a former D-1 men's coach when he took over a storied program. All "complaints" were dismissed. I must say, looks good on Harvard though.
                  Unhappy players today have all sorts of means to "rattle" the administration. Look no further than what happened last year at an ECAC school, where the coach left mid-season due to the "complaint" of the parent of the 3rd string goalie. The media at it's finest!
                  Last edited by sk8tronthepond; 03-10-2023, 07:47 AM.
                  I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

• Where is Lee J Mirasola with all of this ? She cant be too happy

Comment

• For smart kids they seem like idiots whoever leads this naked skate. Am I reading this right that the Hohler article came out saying they do a naked skate. …. And then they did the 2023 version of the naked skate the very next day? Superman’s naked sliding across the ice and bleeding nipples but yea let’s keep this up in 2023?

Wow, just wow.

Comment

• Might be time to think about bringing Maura Crowell back to Cambridge - she's done an excellent job at UMD. One win away from a final four in her home rink. More importantly, her players seem to play hard for her and stay in the program. Lots of COVID 5th years this season.

Comment

• "You know the culture, is actually damn good"

https://youtu.be/g6JjqKsizBo

Comment

• Originally posted by bodyup88 View Post
                            Might be time to think about bringing Maura Crowell back to Cambridge - she's done an excellent job at UMD.
                            Not sure that would be a step up for her. UMD runs a bigger-budget program than most programs do. Not that far behind the Big Ten schools. She's proven she can get into the tournament and to the championship game with the Bulldogs -- is the ceiling any higher at Harvard?

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post

This reads like the same "complaints" that were lodged against a former D-1 men's coach when he took over a storied program. All "complaints" were dismissed. I must say, looks good on Harvard though.
                              Unhappy players today have all sorts of means to "rattle" the administration. Look no further than what happened last year at an ECAC school, where the coach left mid-season due to the "complaint" of the parent of the 3rd string goalie. The media at it's finest!
                              ya except we are not talking about "3rd string players" here, but former captains, and top line players and and producers, but sure, you stick to your "its all the medias fault"

Comment

• Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post

Yeah, objecting to being mocked after suffering a head injury is a lack of toughness.

Comment

Working...
                                X