X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

boom.
    you should have included this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_djk1RQ2Ew
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      Wonder which freshman are going to get shuffled out?...
      With the freshman class we have coming in, I doubt if any of them get "shuffled out."

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/buckey...023-24-season/
      Last edited by osualum86; 03-28-2023, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• I will now step aside and wait patiently for Pgb's top fond memory from the 2023 Frozen Four!

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

With the freshman class we have coming in, I doubt if any of them get "shuffled out."

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/buckey...023-24-season/
          I wouldn't expect you to say anything else...

Comment

• By my count, OSU has five players who have exhausted their eligibility plus four players in the portal (over 50% of goals for the past year, BTW), and four incoming freshmen plus three portal transfers. So far...

Comment

Wonder which freshman are going to get shuffled out?...
              Serious question(s) here: I know that the Big Ten has a policy that a student-athlete who starts out on scholarship cannot lose their scholarship (unlike other DI schools, where scholarships are essentially 'renewable' on a year to year basis); it is a four year agreement. That leads some coaches to offer prospective student-athletes such things as word-of-honor "two and two" agreements, where the S-A doesn't start on scholarship, but will be given one two years into their time with the team.

So the question are: does that policy apply to Big Ten teams not playing in a Big Ten conference? (I would expect so) Does it only apply to "head count" sports, or does it also apply to "equivalency" (partial scholarship) sports such as ice hockey?

That is, just how easily - or not - can Muzzy actually "shuffle out" a freshman?

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Serious question(s) here: I know that the Big Ten has a policy that a student-athlete who starts out on scholarship cannot lose their scholarship (unlike other DI schools, where scholarships are essentially 'renewable' on a year to year basis); it is a four year agreement. That leads some coaches to offer prospective student-athletes such things as word-of-honor "two and two" agreements, where the S-A doesn't start on scholarship, but will be given one two years into their time with the team.

So the question are: does that policy apply to Big Ten teams not playing in a Big Ten conference? (I would expect so) Does it only apply to "head count" sports, or does it also apply to "equivalency" (partial scholarship) sports such as ice hockey?

That is, just how easily - or not - can Muzzy actually "shuffle out" a freshman?
                You are asking questions that even us BIG10 fans can’t answer about our home programs. The rules are complex and my guess is most of us are unfamiliar with them. Does a coach go to the AD and ask “can I do this?” and the AD gets back to them. I have no clue. I don’t make assumptions on what I think is going on. I can’t make conclusions and judgements because I don’t have enough information.

Comment

• Five Fond Frozen Four Memories For 2023

Hey, '86! Sorry to keep you waiting. I'm ready to complete the list. Here's My #1 Memory:

1. Sophie Wins The Trophy
                  Ever been a member of a live studio audience? I have. Three Times.

The First: Let's Make A Deal. Back in the 80's. During the Monty Hall era. A woman dressed as a Cabbage Patch Kid won the biggest prize. A deserving winner; her homemade costume was excellent.

The Second: Politically Incorrect. Late 90's, with Bill Maher. A surprisingly small group; maybe there were 60 or 70 of us? We filled all of the available seats. The audio people must have had some tricks to make us sound like a bigger group. Anyhow, our panel included Ann Colter -- before I even knew who Ann Colter was.

The Third: The Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award Ceremony. The Presentation Show Aired Live on March 18, 2023. This one is my favorite.

The Ticket Lobby at Amsoil Arena provided the setting. In response to the venue announcement, a number of us here on USCHO felt skeptical. But the NHL Network people proved to be shrewd. No doubt they got all of the sounds and images they wanted. That lobby was packed.

The chairs on the "main floor" were reserved for the 3 Finalists, their families, teammates and members of the official travel parties. Everyone else stood, filling up all of the available floor space. Some of us went up one level, to stand on the rail on watch the proceedings play out below.

Leaving little to chance, we were coached up by Master of Ceremonies Siera Santos, who told us when and how to cheer. We were good at following instructions.

Inevitably there was a good bit of waiting involved. The winner wouldn't be announced until the last portion of the show. And of course we had all come early to grab good viewing positions.

In the crowd, Buckeye fans were the largest single group in attendance. Confident about Sophie's chances? Yes. Yes we were. But of course there were no guarantees. When "Sophie Jaques" was announced, the room exploded. I yelled out "Yeah!" Hadn't planned on that; it was just my reflex reaction.

Sophie's speech was articulate, composed & gracious. She did herself proud.

After the formal program, teammates & coaches poured onto the stage to join Sophie. Countless hugs, smiles and pictures.

Sophie Jaques is the first Buckeye to win the Patty Kazmaier Award. Jaques is only the second Defender to win; that in itself is a breakthrough. The Frozen Four circumstances allowed a large number of Sophie's strongest supporters to share the moment.

A Fond Memory Indeed.

Up Next: The Men's Frozen Four; Women's Worlds; The NHL Playoffs & Of Course The Off-Season.

Last edited by pgb-ohio; 03-30-2023, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    With regard to your specific question, I don't know. I know of a case where a WCHA student athlete was ineligible due a Big Ten rule rather than an NCAA rule, and the Big Ten rule was binding. I would assume that would be true of other Big Ten rules as well, provided that there was not some special exception to it for the sport in question.

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                    There may be a difference between what can be done by the letter of the law and what the talent pool will tolerate. There have been conversations on here over the years regarding programs where coaching staffs were not honoring verbal commitments made during the recruiting process, and the point was made that the female hockey community is a rather small one. Word gets around if it turns out student athletes don't feel that they were treated honestly. I don't think a program has the option of "shuffling out" a recruit after an NLI has been signed but before she has completed a season of eligibility. After that, I don't know what is officially allowed. We also don't always know who is/isn't on scholarship.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Question...

If the Muzzinator is shuffling the deck of cards, do you play the card game with her?

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                        I will now step aside and wait patiently for Pgb's top fond memory from the 2023 Frozen Four!
                        Worth the wait?

Comment

Question...

If the Muzzinator is shuffling the deck of cards, do you play the card game with her?
                          Go ahead and take your chances on the cards.

But please, please do not challenge her to a game of Mumbley Peg.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            Go ahead and take your chances on the cards.
                            So is that advice for the incoming freshmen?

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            Good advice...you don't want to have any skin in this game.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              I love that game! Is she gonna throw the knife into her own foot to win or just have an "oops" throw and it lands in her opponent's jugular? I can see it both ways. No Bueno.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Well it looks like Muzzy's not going to bend the gender and coach the men's team at Wisconsin. I was hoping Wisconsin would be a leader and set an example for others to follow. I do think she's the ideal candidate to get that disaster of a Harvard program up and going in the right direction.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X