Ohio State Buckeyes 2022-2023 ... The Drive For Duluth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

Not only a hand pass but Jaques looked to be cross checked down from behind resulting in the turnover and keeping her out of the ensuring play.
    That doesn't enter into the challenge or the goal 'reversal'.

Comment

• I don't care what you guys say...Muzzerall's shoes are right up there with Miller's jacket!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        I don't care what you guys say...Muzzerall's shoes are right up there with Miller's jacket!!
        She was indeed wearing some serious new kicks.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

That doesn't enter into the challenge or the goal 'reversal'.
          No it doesn't but I'm just saying Northeastern wouldn't have had that hand pass if not for that.

Comment

• An FYI: ESPNU is showing both games early Sunday morning. The Ohio State-Northeastern game at 5:30 AM CDT.
            Last edited by robertearle; 03-17-2023, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• Best scenario came through. Ohio State won handily while Minny and Wiscy beat each other up in an overtime game. A second OT would have been ideal, but I'll settle for the one.

Comment

• Did you all see that Muzzinator said during the intermission interview she'd rather play Wisconsin than Minnesota? Da Badgers are bringing it! Y'all gonna get some. I wish we had a week and not one day to BS our way to the championship game. That would have been a lot of fun.

Also during that interview she showed off some fancy Nike shoes she was wearing....I thought she was gonna show off some powder blue toenails and i was like screaming "pleans no!"
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Sorry I am late with my usual write-up but Ohio State punched their ticket to the NCAA Championship Game tomorrow with a dominating 3-0 win over the Northeastern Huskies yesterday afternoon at Amsoil Arena here in Duluth! Sloane Matthews opened the scoring just 1:16 into the first period to give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead. Neither team could find the back of the net the rest of the period so the teams went into the first intermission with Ohio State leading 1-0. The Buckeyes would add two more goals in the second period from Makenna Webster and Hadley Hartmetz to take a 3-0 lead into the final intermission. Neither team lit the lamp in the third period and it ended with the Buckeyes advancing with a 3-0 win. Ohio State dominated the shots on goal in this one, outshooting Northeastern 53-15. Buckeye netminder Amanda Thiele stopped all 15 shots she faced in the win. Northeastern goaltender Gwyneth Philips was brilliant as well, stopping 50 of the 53 shots she faced in the loss. Northeastern's season comes to a close with a 34-3-1 record. Ohio State moves on with a 33-5-2 record. The Buckeyes will face Wisconsin tomorrow for the National Title. The Badgers defeated Minnesota 3-2 in OT in the other semi-final game yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Did you all see that Muzzinator said during the intermission interview she'd rather play Wisconsin than Minnesota? Da Badgers are bringing it! Y'all gonna get some. I wish we had a week and not one day to BS our way to the championship game. That would have been a lot of fun.

Also during that interview she showed off some fancy Nike shoes she was wearing....I thought she was gonna show off some powder blue toenails and i was like screaming "pleans no!"
                    The question is, are you coming up?

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                      The question is, are you coming up?
                      Sadly, with that trip to Wichita for my brother in law's retirement that is starting Wednesday afternoon, I need to work for home a lot today as I did yesterday to hit deadlines. I can get a lot of work done in the time I would be driving. The alternative is working 10 to 12 hours a day monday and tuesday prior to the trip, but that is not appealing. My daughter is especially bummed but I have do what I have do for my own sanity. It's time to go to work.

Comment

Did you all see that Muzzinator said during the intermission interview she'd rather play Wisconsin than Minnesota? Da Badgers are bringing it! Y'all gonna get some. I wish we had a week and not one day to BS our way to the championship game. That would have been a lot of fun.

Probably had more to do with not wanting to play her alma mater for the title. Still, I'm sure that Johnson will still try and use it to motivate his team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post

Still, I'm sure that Johnson will still try and use it to motivate his team.
                          Id like to see a Mark Johnson Pre game speech. Presents to the media as so chill…but obviously gets his teams ready to go and here we are once again with a Wisconsin team looking quite a bit different in March than the fall.

Comment

Sadly, with that trip to Wichita for my brother in law's retirement that is starting Wednesday afternoon, I need to work for home a lot today as I did yesterday to hit deadlines. I can get a lot of work done in the time I would be driving. The alternative is working 10 to 12 hours a day monday and tuesday prior to the trip, but that is not appealing. My daughter is especially bummed but I have do what I have do for my own sanity. It's time to go to work.
                            I'm surprised the even with the reasons given being the super Badgers fan that you are that you still wouldn't make the trip to Duluth.
                            Perhaps the abject fear we've instilled in you of the Muzinator you're too scared to appear?
                            All kidding aside I'm disappointed to miss the rare opportunity to meet you in person and to besides hock to talk Mustangs. I've owned more than a few of the classic ones!

Comment

• I'm sure we're all pretty shocked about the results. I never thought 1 goal would win it for either team. The Badgers had a great run at the right time and our goalie was fantastic. OSU had a great year and I don't doubt another 3 headed wcha monster next season and umd is coming hard for the rodents haha.

Comment

• My Take On The Title Game

First and foremost, Congratulations to the Wisconsin Badgers on their well earned title.

Second, another poster - I believe a Badger fan - pointed out the possibility of an interesting trifecta of one team winning the WCHA Regular Season title; another winning the Final Face-Off; a third winning the National Title. Congratulations to whoever had the crystal ball!

Third, I do have to take issue with the characterization of the Buckeyes being "shell-shocked." Extremely Frustrated? Yes. The Start of a Grieving Process for what might have been? Certainly. But there's not a lot of mystery about what happened in Duluth. We weren't blind-sided or hit from behind.

The Badger defense was absolutely stalwart. Sunday was the first time we were shut out all year. Part of the story is that the Badgers had the athletes to pull it off. But it was also intelligent coaching design.

The Buckeyes' aggressive forecheck has been the team's bread & butter all year. Roadrunners like Jenna Buglioni, Brooke Bink & Kenzie Hauswirth would often win loose pucks outright with sheer speed. Or they'd win one-on-one battle their fair share of the time. Or more. The high octane Badgers took away the outright wins. And had the strength to win their share of the one-on-ones.

But it was also the case that the Badgers often got two defenders to the forechecker. One to administer carefully measured interference to the Buckeye; the other to escape with the puck. Mind you I'm not saying this is dirty play. When carefully measured, this sort of interference is kind of like driving 75 MPH in a 70 MPH Zone. Which all of us who drove to Duluth accomplished, I'm quite sure. Not much risk of a "ticket" in either case.

Another thing the Badgers did was aggressively defend the high slot. This was particularly obvious on the Buckeyes' lone power play, when the UW PK attacked the OSU umbrella with abandon.

Why is this important? Sophie Jaques earned a Patty Kaz by nailing shots from the high slot. Patiently improving her shooting position, moving towards the middle, locking in on a top shelf target, and nailing it. Quite honestly this play should forever be known as Sophie's Shot. Though of course others have also mastered it. Think of the Hadley Hartmetz goal in the Northeastern game.

Many opponents have tried and failed to shut down Sophie's Shot. But the Badgers successfully defended it, with a combination of design and intense hustle. 14 shots were blocked. But undetected by the stats, and probably more important, were the shots that were hurried. The opportunity to focus, lock in and nail it just wasn't there.

Beyond that, Cami Kronish ate up those hurried shots with relative ease. And rebounds? What rebounds?

Now had The Most Outstanding Player of the Tournament been my call, I also would have gone with Cami. But that simply doesn't tell the full story. Every Badger who contributed to the defensive effort shares in the credit. Which basically means every Badger who hit the ice.

MJ fingerprints. The Badger coaches figured out what made the Buckeyes the most dangerous, and largely took it away. Deeply frustrating? Yes. Note the slashing penalty that Buglioni took with a few seconds remaining. A harmless whack to the pads, that likely caused no pain whatsoever to the Badger recipient. But it shouldn't have happened. The more reasonable reaction to coaching excellence is congratulations and admiration. Hope that was accomplished in the handshake line.
                                Last edited by pgb-ohio; 03-20-2023, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X