• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Score From Tuesday, November 22nd
    Ohio State 4
    Colgate 4
    (OSU Wins Shootout 2-1)
    Buckeyes & Raiders Rock The Rink

Raw Speed. Abundant Skill. A Dash of Grit. And Just Maybe a Post-Season Preview. A little of bit of everything. Not bad for a tie.

Upfront, let me say I don't really know what to make of the SOG disparity. The Buckeyes did exert tremendous pressure. And yes, Kayle Osbourne was great in the nets for Colgate. But even taking those factors into account, the quality chances were definitely closer than the SOG stats indicate.

This game even turned the 3 Stars Upside Down.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

#1 Star: (tie) Centers Gabby Rosenthal, Ohio State; and Danielle Serdachny, Colgate
    The Buckeyes scored some truly dynamic goals tonight. In particular, Gabby had a spectacular tip-in @ 1:21 of the 2nd Period. The term "tip-in" doesn't really do the play justice. It was more of slam dunk. Overall, Rosenthal had 2 goals & an assist. Her 3 points led all scorers; her +3 led all players.

A lesser opponent might have folded. But Colgate persevered. Each time Ohio State opened up a little breathing room, Colgate gamely fought back. Danielle led the quick strike counter-attack, assisting on the 1st Colgate goal & scoring the 2nd. Serdachny's 2 scoring points were equaled, but not topped, on the Colgate side of the ledger. For good measure, Danielle also scored during the shootout.

#2 Star: (tie) Wings Jenna Buglioni, Ohio State; and Kristyna Kaltounkova, Colgate
    Late Game Heroics: Jenna might have had the GWG. But Kristyna took half of the loaf for the Raiders when she re-tied the score late in the 3rd Period. Some Particulars: Jenna jammed in a rebound; Kristyna served up an astonishing tip in the slot, just under the crossbar. Along the way, Jenna put 7 energetic shots on goal. Kristyna responded with 3 shots of her own.

Another statelmate? Yes, I suppose it was. But the intense competition was a thing of beauty.

#3 Star: (tie) Defenders Lauren Bernard, Ohio State; and Allyson Simpson, Colgate
    The goals were eye catching, but the Defense also performed admirably for both teams. Lauren led all Buckeyes with 4 Blocked Shots. Allyson led all Players with 5 Blocks. Oh, BTW, Bernard scored during the third round of the shootout, offsetting the Serdachny goal & keeping the Buckeyes' hopes alive.

Honorable Mention: Makenna Webster, Ohio State
    Makenna is a Hockey Gunslinger. Explosive yet patient. Experienced yet creative. A savvy player. She was all of this and more on the Shootout Winning Goal.

Up Next: The Home Stand Concludes With A Wednesday Afternoon Rematch Against Colgate. Do What It Takes To Be There!
    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-23-2022, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

It's only an emotional victory. The announcer at the rink didn't have his facts right when he announced the Buckeyes received the extra point for the shootout win. There are no points awarded in a non conference game.
      The NCAA records it as a tie game.
      The play by play announcer was very bad, said many things that were wrong, and totally biased towards OSU. He should do his homework and be more neutral like all professional announcers do.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

Apparent the shootout does not count?
        Originally posted by osualum86
        Think the NCAA/Polls/PairWise counts these games as a tie.
        Correct. If anyone wants to verify, it's Rule 91.1 Tied Games - Regular Season.

Interesting New Rule This Year:
        A three-person shootout is permissible in all regular season contests. For exhibition and non-conference games, the host institution's conference policy shall be used. Independent host institutions, shall communicate its policy to all opponents before the start of the season.

That's the new portion of Rule 91.2 Tied Games - Regular Season - Conference Policy Format. Because WCHA Member Ohio State was hosting, the shootout was held. IIRC, the ECAC doesn't use shootouts. So had the game been played in Hamilton, we would have been done when the 65 minutes was completed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          Really interesting shootout choices for OSU. Morrow, Jaques, Bernard to start it off, all D. The pxp guy said that was Morrow’s first time on the ice of the night.
          PxP guy STRUGGLED last night. He thought that was Levis to start, called the game over after two shooters each and did not know it ended in a tie. And that's just from the ending. He's a student and I try to give grace, but he just kept saying very wrong things, occasionally switching to the correct information after awhile, but never acknowledging the mistake.

All of that is to say, I don't know if what he said was true or not, but I would not count on it
          It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post

The play by play announcer was very bad, said many things that were wrong, and totally biased towards OSU. He should do his homework and be more neutral like all professional announcers do.
            They sit at a table at the top of the stands. Two very young guys who I assume are media or journalism major students which explains sshablak's perspective of their lack of experience.
            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-23-2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Pretty much the worst reffing I have seen this year. Phantom 5 minute major called on Colgate leads to 2 OSU goals. 2 ridiculous face off violation penalties called on OSU. OSU has scored 4 pp goals into the 2nd. Shots are tied.

Comment

I’ll be there and find you
                The wife changed me up. Went to O’s. Sorry to miss you but loved the trip.

Comment

• Up Next: The Home Stand Concludes With A Wednesday Afternoon Rematch Against Colgate. Do What It Takes To Be There!
                  Another intense battle; this time it was a gratifying 6-2 Buckeye Win. Well worth delaying the start of Thanksgiving preparations.

But now it's Thanksgiving's turn. Can't delay any longer. I hope to do a 3 Stars Write-Up for the Rematch in some form. But we may be talking early next week.

Everyone who's traveling for the Holiday, please travel safely. But on the irresponsible side, go ahead and eat a little too much tomorrow. It's only once a year!

Comment

The wife changed me up. Went to O’s. Sorry to miss you but loved the trip.
                    Hopefully there will be another opportunity. Safe Travels!

Comment

• Ohio State defeated Colgate earlier today by a final score of 6-2. The Buckeyes scored the game's first five goals and never looked back. Sophie Jaques, Emma Maltais, and Jenna Buglioni all lit the lamp in the first period to give the Buckeyes a 3-0 lead going into the first intermission, which turned out to be all the goals they would need in this one. Ohio State wasn't done as they came out and added two more goals from Paetyn Levis and Jenn Gardiner to take a 5-0 lead. Colgate fought back with two goals of their own from Kaitlyn O'Donohoe and Danielle Serdachny to cut the lead to 5-2 going into the final intermission. Ohio State's Sophie Jaques would score the only goal in the final frame and the Buckeyes finished this one with a 6-2 win. Colgate outshot Ohio State in this one 32-28. Colgate's Kayle Osborne and Hannah Murphy combined to stop 22 of the 28 shots they faced. Ohio State's Raygan Kirk stopped 30 of the 32 shots she faced to get the win. The Buckeyes will head to Duluth to take on the Bulldogs on 12/2-12/3. Up next for the Raiders will be a road trip to Brown and Yale on 12/2-12/3.

Comment

Phantom 5 minute major called on Colgate leads to 2 OSU goals.
                        Happened right in front of us. It was a blow to the head, nothing "phantom" about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

Happened right in front of us. It was a blow to the head, nothing "phantom" about it.
                          It happened on the faceoff and #14 cross checked an OSU player in the face and put her down on the ice. I wasn’t at the game but saw it on BIG10+ and replayed it several times to confirm it. Very easy call for the officials to make.

Comment

• Final Score From Wednesday, November 23rd
                            Ohio State 6
                            Colgate 2
                            Giving Thanks For An Important Win

I'm back in the Great State of Ohio after my Thanksgiving Travels; grateful for both a fine holiday and an excellent series with Colgate. And back on my keyboard.

I won't try to recognize individual stars from Wednesday 11/23 at this late date. Still, it was a fine contest that shouldn't go unnoticed. So I'm going to give thanks. Hope this isn't a turkey of a post.

Three Thank Yous From The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Thank You #3: The Ohio State/Colgate Match-Up
                            Kudos to both coaching staffs for scheduling this series. The OSU Coaches get credit for their ongoing efforts to put together a strong, dynamic schedule. My sincere belief is that it pays long term dividends on the ice. Plus, it's a great show for the fans in the stands. Thanks also go out to the Colgate Coaches for their willingness to take on the challenge, and to play on dates that must have been something of a hardship.

Thank You #2: The Buckeye Defense Closing Out Wednesday's Game
                            For a game and a half, we saw an irresistible force vs. irresistible force contest. It was a thrill to watch. The Buckeyes led throughout the series. But the never-say-die Raiders just kept coming back. Even at 5-2 late in the second stanza, the rematch didn't really feel secure.

But a second tie just wasn't going to do. So the Buckeyes changed tactics, and focused on shutting down the Raiders. Mission accomplished. Then, with about 6 minutes left in the game, Jenn Gardiner sprung Sophie Jaques on a breakaway. Sophie's tour-de-force finish put a dramatic exclamation point on the victory.

Thank You #1: The Ohio State Power Play
                            Ultimately the performance of the OSU Special Teams won this game. The PK blanked Colgate on 5 opportunities. The PP was a robust 4 for 8, creating the game's first four goals.

Yes, Buckeyes opened the scoring with three goals on a major penalty. That's a bountiful harvest indeed. Note that the call was certainly warranted, stemming from a two handed slash to the neck/collarbone area. No doubt the slash was out-of-character for the Raider involved. Nevertheless, it was good to see that a heavy price was paid for that particular infraction.

Bigger picture, the Buckeye PP Prowess goes well beyond any specific penalty. According to USCHO Stats, OSU has 15 PPG on 43 opportunites. That's a dazzling conversion rate of 34.88%. Not surprisingly, that number leads the nation. Yes, other teams have strong conversion rates as well; next on the list is upcoming opponent Cornell at 29.63%. So we have a tantalizing match-up of top power plays just on the horizon. But again, it's the Buckeye PP that leads the way. And that's been a big part of our first half success.

Up Next: For Those Of Us Who Primarily Attend Home Games At The Ice Rink, We're Actually On Semester Break. The Next Home Games Are In January Against Wisconsin. But The Team Has Some Big Battles Immediately Ahead, Starting Next Weekend At UMD. Go Bucks!

Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-28-2022, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bkruczynski View Post

It happened on the faceoff and #14 cross checked an OSU player in the face and put her down on the ice. I wasn’t at the game but saw it on BIG10+ and replayed it several times to confirm it. Very easy call for the officials to make.
                              I did the same thing. I watched BTN+ later to confirm what happened and that was a legit call. Not sure how anyone could characterize that as a "phantom" call.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

I did the same thing. I watched BTN+ later to confirm what happened and that was a legit call. Not sure how anyone could characterize that as a "phantom" call.
                                I was watching the BTN+ broadcast and played that sequence back a couple of times. Both players were pretty aggressive lining up for the faceoff and both players sticks cames up. The Colgate player finished it off with the crosscheck to the head and that was not a phantom call as you mentioned.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X