This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Thankfully we'll have our international players back for the Colgate series.
    We will need them against Colgate. They have a great team!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bkruczynski View Post

Makenna Webster is with the ice hockey team full time now that field hockey season is over. She is something special and a game changer.
      I really enjoy watching her when she has the puck, she has such amazing hands!

Comment

• The Buckeyes completed the sweep earlier today by a final score of 7-1. The Buckeyes got three first period goals from Sloane Matthews, Emma Peschel, and Hadley Hartmetz to take a 3-0 lead into the first intermission. Peschel's goal would end up being the game-winner in this one. Ohio State got a goal from Jenn Gardiner to take a 4-0 lead in the second period. Hadley Hartmetz would score her second goal of the game later in the frame to put Ohio State up 5-0. The Beavers got a goal from Calli Forsberg to cut the lead to 5-1 and that is how the second period ended. The Buckeyes added two goals in the final period from Sophie Jaques and Sydney Morrow to make the final score 7-1. Ohio State outshot Bemidji State in this one 38-12. Raygan Kirk got the start in net for the Buckeyes and stopped 11 of the 12 shots she faced to get the win. For Bemidji State, Abbie Thompson and Madison Faucher combined to stop 31 of the 38 shots they faced in the loss. Ohio State will have a quick turnaround as they will host Colgate on Tuesday and Wednesday 11/22-11/23. The Beavers will travel to Quinnipiac to participate in the Nutmeg Classic Tournament on Friday and Saturday 11/25-11/26. Bemidji will be playing the host Quinnipiac Bobcats in Friday's game.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          No 3 Stars for Friday Night's game. It was a rare miss for me.

I did, however. watch the full replay on Big Ten Plus. The first time I've done that for an OSU Home Game!

Really enjoyed Emily Curlett's no-nonsense style. But I have to admit I was on the receiving end of one of her candid takes. Emily went on & on about how the team's core supporters never miss a game; that we're "so reliable." And there I was, watching from cyberspace, instead of our beloved, historic facility. (embarrassed smile here)

It's back to normal for the Saturday game. And yes, I'll take the "Skate of Shame" when I arrive at the Ice Rink!
          I missed that. That's what I get for fast-forwarding and just watching us score our goals. I really enjoy Emily's commentary. I think she does a great job.

Comment

• Final Score From Saturday, November 19th
            Ohio State 7
            Bemidji State 1

Buckeyes Complete Regular Season Sweep Of Bemidji

Ohio State has now won the four regular season games against Bemidji. All by substantial margins. And Saturday's six goal spread was the biggest of them all. It's tempting to say the Buckeyes won going away.

But that would something of a half-truth. BSU caused OSU plenty of frustration along the way. Particularly in the 2nd Period on Friday, when the Beavers repeatedly disrupted the Buckeye breakout. With Blood Curletting Honesty, Emily C. declared that period "boring." During Saturday's pre-game, I learned that many others shared that view. To expand on this just little, the game lacked flow. That was true for stretches of time during the entire series. Which is to say the Beavers had some success carrying out their game plan.

But in the end, it wasn't sustainable. Just too much Buckeye firepower. Even with the three missing international players. Even with a fourth international player, Sophie Lundin, just back from what must have been an exhausting trip to Finland.

Despite the competing events -- or maybe because of them -- much of that firepower came from Buckeye depth. And partly because the top two forward lines were scrambled, much of the scoring came from the Buckeye 'D.' For purposes of the 3 Stars, this gives me an opportunity to share the wealth.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Bemidji State Honorable Mention: Calli Forsberg
            Calli spoiled what would have been a Raygun Kirk shutout. Sadly, the scoring opportunity came on a fluke bounce. When a Buckeye attempted to bank the puck off the end boards, it hit the side of the goal cage. It then took a startlingly weird bounce into dangerous scoring position. But full credit goes to Forsberg, who gained the puck with exemplary hustle and finished the play with a quick move.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Sydney Morrow
            The Freshman from Darien, CT actually completed the scoring, bagging the 7th Buckeye goal of the day -- and making it a Buckeye dozen on the weekend. Sydney and 'D' Partner Hadley Hartmetz were both +4 for the game, which led all players. More on Hadley in a moment.

#3 Star: Sloane Matthews, Ohio State
            Sloane is actually the only Buckeye forward on this list. She certainly deserves her slot. The international absences gave Matthews the opportunity to skate as the 1st Line Center, and she more than held her own. First, she opened the day's scoring; then earned a valuable assist on a goal early in the 2nd period. You might say that Matthews got the Buckeyes off on the right foot in both of the first two periods, setting the tone for the game. As per her assist, Sloane was a dominating presence in the scoring areas throughout. Making her second appearance on the Stars List, the Freshman from Plymouth, MN has certainly been a valuable addition to the program.

#2 Star: Emma Peschel, Ohio State
            Another Star, another Freshman. Another member of the 'D' Corps who fully participated in the scoring fest. Peschel was particularly effective on the OSU Power Play. Which, by the way, finished at a sparkling 3 for 4. Emma's effort was rewarded when her PP blast hit the twine, and ultimately became the GWG. The play began with a Jenna Buglioni face-off win. From there, Kenzie Hauswirth put a crisp pass with pace on the tape, and Emma did the rest. Coming to Columbus from Edina, MN, Peschel is another player who's making her class look awfully good.

#1 Star: Hadley Hartmetz, Ohio State
            The lone Upper Classman on the Buckeye list, Hadley was on the ice for all 4 even strength goals. That's how she and 'D' Partner Morrow came to lead all players at +4. The finishing touches? Hartmetz was at the Heart of it All, with 2 goals and an assist.

The first goal came on a long range shot that the Beaver goalie would undoubtedly like to have another try at. But as per hockey lore, there's no such thing as a bad shot on goal. The play began with forecheck pressure from partner Sydney. From there, Makenna Webster fired a cross-ice pass to Hadley at the blue line. The precisely placed shot found the lower right hand corner of the net.

The second goal was the culmination of a fine rush with Kenzie Hauswirth. At almost exactly the halfway point of the game, that made the score 5-0. Although some interesting hockey remained, this tally basically settled the issue.

Up Next: The Home Stand Continues With A Tuesday/Wednesday Series Against Colgate. Strange Schedule, But An Excellent East/West Match-Up. Hope You Can Pause Your Holiday Preparations & Join Us At The Ice Rink!

Comment

• Back to #1 in the polls. Great way to start off the week!
              Perhaps I should thank TimothyA and the Badgers for the boost?

Comment

Back to #1 in the polls. Great way to start off the week!
                Perhaps I should thank TimothyA and the Badgers for the boost?
                I think you can blame the dumb voters for you being number one lol but badgers should be number 1.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I think you can blame the dumb voters for you being number one lol but badgers should be number 1.
                  It's too bad we can't settle this before mid January.

Comment

Yep. What a lame schedule.

Comment

If tOSU sweeps Colgate I'll zip it on this topic LOL. I'm torn on this series, I want the wcha to be the dominant conference but I think Muzzy needs to get knocked down a few pegs. I'm fine with tOSU being a solid #3 in the wcha. Smileyface.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        but I think Muzzy needs to get knocked down a few pegs.
                        I bet you wouldn't say that to her face. Not many guys egos can handle being beat up by a woman! (big grin, wink)

Comment

I bet you wouldn't say that to her face. Not many guys egos can handle being beat up by a woman! (big grin, wink)
                          I wouldn't stand a chance against her, though what I really meant was tOSU needs to get knocked a a few notches. I get the Muzzy feeling from Darwitz too, very intense on the bench, though not as vocal. Her gaze just burns right through ya.

Comment

• This has probably been discussed before and I’m too lazy to go back and look but why do Men’s hockey and men’s and women’s BB play in a truly beautiful arena and women’s hockey play in literally the worst D1 facility? Isn’t there some kind of equity or Title 9 issue? Toured both today for the first time and I was shocked at the women’s rink. I know a new one is on the drawing board but it’s crazy the disparity.

Comment

• <Delete>
                              Last edited by D2D; 11-22-2022, 01:38 PM.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                                This has probably been discussed before and I’m too lazy to go back and look but why do Men’s hockey and men’s and women’s BB play in a truly beautiful arena and women’s hockey play in literally the worst D1 facility? Isn’t there some kind of equity or Title 9 issue? Toured both today for the first time and I was shocked at the women’s rink. I know a new one is on the drawing board but it’s crazy the disparity.
                                Can't answer your question, but would only add that their crummy rink doesn't seem to have any impact on their recruiting.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X