This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

The other way to think about it is "points surrendered".

Wisconsin has two conference ties, with one 'extra point' won and one lost; so three points surrendered (the WCHA standings page has that wrong at the moment, BTW). OSU a full loss and a tie; four points surrendered. Duluth a regulation loss, three ties with one 'extra point' lost; seven points surrendered. Minnesota has surrendered zero points so far. (Hoping that changes today! :-)
    "Points," in this case, referred to individual scoring rather than the standings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

"Points," in this case, referred to individual scoring rather than the standings.
      Ahh, I see. I guess I misread the 'original' comment to be about OSU leading in the standings, not in scoring. My mistake (but my point holds; Ohio State has the most standings points currently, but has also surrendered more that either UW or Minn.)
      Last edited by robertearle; 10-30-2022, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

Makenna has been a great addition to the team! I have to admit, I am selfishly looking forward to field hockey season ending so we can have her full-time.
        Your wish should be granted soon.

We're actually hosting the 2022 Field Hockey Championships next weekend, November 3rd through 6th. If I'm reading the tournament materials correctly, 7 teams qualify for the tournament, and we're currently tied for 6th with Rutgers. So we should be playing next Thursday at either 2:00PM or 5:00PM.

I don't know anything about the NCAA Field Hockey tournament. But I would think that we'd have to make a deep run in the conference tourney (if not win it) in order to be playing beyond next weekend.

3 Stars For 10/29/22 Coming Later Today...

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

Your wish should be granted soon.

We're actually hosting the 2022 Field Hockey Championships next weekend, November 3rd through 6th. If I'm reading the tournament materials correctly, 7 teams qualify for the tournament, and we're currently tied for 6th with Rutgers. So we should be playing next Thursday at either 2:00PM or 5:00PM.

I don't know anything about the NCAA Field Hockey tournament. But I would think that we'd have to make a deep run in the conference tourney (if not win it) in order to be playing beyond next weekend.

3 Stars For 10/29/22 Coming Later Today...
          I just posted this on the Wisconsin thread: The NCAA filed hockey tournament has 18 teams, 10 auto-bids. Ohio State's RPI is currently 20th, 6th best for a B1G team. Last year six B1G teams made the NCAA field. So Ohio State's gonna be at least in the conversation for an NCAA bid.

So, speaking for the rest of the WCHA, we're pulling for the OSU field hockey team this coming weekend! :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

I just posted this on the Wisconsin thread: The NCAA filed hockey tournament has 18 teams, 10 auto-bids. Ohio State's RPI is currently 20th, 6th best for a B1G team. Last year six B1G teams made the NCAA field. So Ohio State's gonna be at least in the conversation for an NCAA bid.

So, speaking for the rest of the WCHA, we're pulling for the OSU field hockey team this coming weekend! :-)
            Now that's a complicated set of emotions and reactions for a Buckeye fan!

Comment

• Final Score From Saturday, October 29th
              Ohio State 4
              Minnesota 4
              (Buckeyes Win Shootout 2-1)
              Look What We Found In Our Trick-Or-Treat Bag: A Sweet Comeback!

When you come from behind to earn a tie, it's satisfying. Coming from two goals down to earn a tie tastes better yet again. But scoring three goals in the last 10 minutes of regulation time to tie the Gophers? One of the best candy bars in the entire bag. And winning the shootout doubled the treat. To say nothing of doubling the standings points.

I don't want to re-ignite a full debate on shootouts. But I'm going to ponder whether the time has come for traditionalists like me to get out of the way on this issue. The current players fully embrace the shootout concept. Looking at the players on both teams after Saturday's decisive tally, there was no question as to which team believed they had won, and which team felt like they lost. When observing the aftermath unfold before my eyes -- particularly the triple goalie dance in the crease -- it occurred to me that describing the scene as a tie seemed almost laughable.

By winning 4 of the 6 standings points, the Gophers won the series. But the Buckeyes won Saturday's game. Hope the kudos given below will help you understand how we got to the happy result.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Minnesota Honorable Mention: Abbey Murphy
              Minnesota has an admirable propensity for starting periods fast. Abbey epitomized that on Saturday; opening the scoring at 2:23 of the first period, and restoring a 2 goal Gopher lead just 53 seconds into the 3rd. Had the end result been different, Abbey would have had Star Status. As it actually played out, Honorable Mention is the best fit.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Raygun Kirk
              When a goalie gives up 4 goals, that usually keeps her off my list. And when a goalie gives up 2 goals in the first 3:10 of the game, that doesn't bode well either. But after the tough start, both the Buckeyes, and Raygun in particular, settled in nicely. Kirk turned away a number of world-class shots to keep the Buckeyes in the game.

#3 Star: Taylor Heise, Minnesota
              Analogous to Murphy's situation, Taylor would have vaulted to the top spot, if only the end result had been different. In what easily could have been the GWG, Heise put the Gophers ahead with 7:07 left in Regulation time. Attacking the net at the left post, Taylor did kind of a half-spin. She let the puck sit, the result being the puck was now on her backhand. Which she then shelfed into the upper left hand corner. All in one fluid motion.

Very impressive. Shelfing the puck on the backhand is difficult enough without the move. With the move, it's greatness. Now as a Buckeye supporter, this wasn't a very welcome development. But as a hockey guy, part of me was smiling inwardly, and sending a "You Go, Girl" message by telepathy.

#2 Star: (tie) Makenna Webster, Ohio State and Jenna Buglioni, Ohio State
              Fittingly for Halloween Weekend, we got a heavy dose of Makenna Magic. For a partnership that has just begun, it's evident that the chemistry between Webster and Emma Maltais is startlingly good. In fact, Makenna makes everyone she shares time with a better player.

Importantly, that Makenna Magic produced tangible results. Webster got the urgently needed first Buckeye goal, finishing off a loose park opportunity created by Maltais & Paetyn Levis. She kept the good thing going by earning the primary assist on the next two Buckeye tallies. The three scoring points were accompanied by 7 SOG, second best among all players. Not bad for someone who earned a hat trick in D-1 Field Hockey last weekend, and who had been competing on the grass just one day earlier.

In deference to the long standing rift on shootouts, I'll keep Jenna's mention brief. But when BOO-gliaoni scored the shootout-winning goal, the crowd at the Ice Rink exploded. Happy Halloween Indeed!

#1 Star: Sophie Jaques, Ohio State
              Wow!

Two PP goals in the last 10 minutes to tie, then re-tie, the game. Next a shootout goal, allowing the Buckeyes to withstand an Olympian conversion by Grace Zumwinkle. But we're just getting started.

Sophie was an offensive force all game long, putting up 12 SOG -- far outdistancing all other players. Jaques was a defensive force all game long, blocking 7 shots. Again, far outdistancing all other players. Heck, I'm ready to give her the Patty Kaz right now. Though maybe that's Buckeye bias. But I will insist that if Sophie doesn't earn Player of the Week Honors, there needs to be an investigation. Just an awesome game by #18.

Up Next: Road Trip To Mendota Heights For A Series With St. Thomas.
              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-30-2022, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

lol there’s one in every crowd. Hopefully they can round up some extras….also thinking about making the trip and hoping the band (or a gaggle of foot stomping and screaming girl hockey players) shows up.
                Glad you made the trip! It was great meeting you Friday!

Comment

Glad you made the trip! It was great meeting you Friday!
                  Same, :-) great atmosphere there and
                  great hockey. The boisterous OSU parents were very endearing, and the more understated but just as fanatic traveling Minnesota parents/grandparents too. Very lucky players to be so well supported by fans and families alike.

the Varsity Club across the street was a great tip from
                  Buckeye.

To PGB’s three stars… Sophie Jaques has got to be one of the most noticeable players on the ice. Extremely fun player to watch the way she jumps into the play and can trust Bizal to look after things if need be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                    To PGB’s three stars… Sophie Jaques has got to be one of the most noticeable players on the ice. Extremely fun player to watch the way she jumps into the play and can trust Bizal to look after things if need be.
                    So you're saying that Madison is Taking Care of Biz-ness?

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

... But I will insist that if Sophie doesn't earn Player of the Week Honors, there needs to be an investigation. Just an awesome game by #18.
                      Happily the investigators get the week off:

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/wcha-a...e-week-honors/

And there's more good news for Sophie:

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sophie...e-month-title/

Comment

• I am way late here, but the Buckeyes took care of business earlier today over St. Thomas by a final score of 4-0. The Buckeyes wasted no time, jumping out to a 2-0 lead in the first eight minutes of the game on goals by Emma Peschel and Sophie Jaques. The period ended the and teams went into the first intermission with Ohio State holding onto that 2-0 lead. The Buckeyes added two more goals in the second period to go into the final intermission with a 4-0 lead. The Buckeye goals were scored by Jenna Buglioni and Paetyn Levis. Levis' goal was assisted by Emma Maltais, giving her 171 career points, first in the Buckeye Women's Hockey record book. With the assist, Emma passed Laura McIntosh, a very gifted playmaker who had 170 points from 2008-2012. Neither team could find the back of the net in the final frame so the 4-0 score stood. Perhaps my favorite part of this game was seeing goaltender Quinn Kuntz get the start and the shutout! Quinn has worked very hard to get to this point, and it was a joy to see her get a start today! The Buckeyes outshot the Tommies 51-16. Kuntz stopped all 16 shots she faced, which included a penalty shot as the Buckeyes hauled down a St. Thomas player on a breakaway. This game could have easily been worse had it not been for the great effort from St. Thomas goaltender Saskia Maurer, who stopped 47 of the 51 shots she faced. That is quite the load. Great effort from her. The two teams are back at it tomorrow with game time being 3:00 pm EST.

Comment

I am way late here, but the Buckeyes took care of business earlier today over St. Thomas by a final score of 4-0.
                          No apology needed! Yes, you're the Breaking News Guy. But it took you what, 5 or 6 hours to post, depending on how the time stamp handled the Fall Back time change? Not a problem. I was happy to find your post this morning.

The Buckeyes wasted no time, jumping out to a 2-0 lead in the first eight minutes of the game on goals by Emma Peschel and Sophie Jaques. The period ended the and teams went into the first intermission with Ohio State holding onto that 2-0 lead.
                          I watched the first period before switching over to the World Series. Yeah, I know, that's heresy. But the Series was pretty compelling viewing this year. And part of my calculus was that after the 1st Period, I felt pretty comfortable the Buckeyes were going to take care of business.

The Buckeyes added two more goals in the second period to go into the final intermission with a 4-0 lead. The Buckeye goals were scored by Jenna Buglioni and Paetyn Levis. Levis' goal was assisted by Emma Maltais, giving her 171 career points, first in the Buckeye Women's Hockey record book. With the assist, Emma passed Laura McIntosh, a very gifted playmaker who had 170 points from 2008-2012. Neither team could find the back of the net in the final frame so the 4-0 score stood.
                          Happily they did take care of business.

Perhaps my favorite part of this game was seeing goaltender Quinn Kuntz get the start and the shutout! Quinn has worked very hard to get to this point, and it was a joy to see her get a start today! The Buckeyes outshot the Tommies 51-16. Kuntz stopped all 16 shots she faced, which included a penalty shot as the Buckeyes hauled down a St. Thomas player on a breakaway.
                          Very cool that took a moment to give kudos to Quinn. As you say, she absolutely deserves the thumbs up. Maybe I'll watch the 2nd & 3rd Periods on replay just to enjoy Quinn's performance.

This game could have easily been worse had it not been for the great effort from St. Thomas goaltender Saskia Maurer, who stopped 47 of the 51 shots she faced. That is quite the load. Great effort from her.
                          I was also favorably impressed with Maurer. Wonder if she's any relation to the Baseball Hall of Famer? Yeah, I had MLB on my mind this week.

The two teams are back at it tomorrow with game time being 3:00 pm EST.
                          Standard time. Hmm. Not really a fan of losing all daylight in the evenings. But the seasons pass; the years will roll. Time and change; and so on. Go Bucks; complete the sweep!

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words Pgb!

Ohio State completed the sweep earlier today by a final score of 6-0. Lauren Bernard scored the only goal of the first period and the Buckeyes went into the first intermission with a 1-0 lead. Ohio State would add three more goals in the second period from Emma Peschel, Gabby Rosenthal, and Sophie Jaques to take a 4-0 lead into the final intermission. The Buckeyes scored two more goals in the final period as Emma Peschel and Gabby Rosenthal each scored their second goals of the game to make the final score 6-0. As was the case in yesterday's game, Ohio State outshot St. Thomas by a wide margin, 58-9. St. Thomas goaltender Alexa Dobchuk stopped 52 of the 58 shots she faced in this one. Buckeye backstop Amanda Thiele stopped all nine shots she faced to get the win. With three goals on the weekend, I am thinking Emma Peschel just might get the WCHA Rookie of the Week Award. We'll see. Ohio State is off next weekend before returning home to take on Bemidji State on 11/18-11/19. St. Thomas will travel to St. Charles, MO, to take on Lindenwood on 11/10-11/11 (Thursday / Friday series, according to the Tommies schedule).

Comment

...Ohio State would add three more goals in the second period from Emma Peschel, Gabby Rosenthal, and Sophie Jaques to take a 4-0 lead into the final intermission...
                              Gabby's 2nd Period Tip-In was a thing of beauty. In terms of finding ways to score from close in, the Buckeyes seem to be to a little more creative this year. Maybe Coach Elander is teaching the players a few tricks of the trade? Obviously Gabby is perfectly capable of coming up with that play on her own. But I feel like there's an encouraging pattern here.

...With three goals on the weekend, I am thinking Emma Peschel just might get the WCHA Rookie of the Week Award. We'll see...
                              Perhaps we should threaten an investigation? Hey, it worked last week! Regardless, Emma would be most deserving.

Comment

• https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/emma-p...e-of-the-week/

Guess I got that one right! LOL, not like I was going out on a limb with that one. It was a great weekend for Emma with three goals.

Comment

Working...
                                X