This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    That's the big problem for us and the other WCHA fans who still live in their school's state, the distance from Columbus to the rest of the WCHA.
    Only the most dedicated fans would make the drive or pay for flights.
    Speaking of, I'll be in Columbus this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post

Ok - I'm glad I asked then. I knew the women's rink was small, but I hadn't really considered that they would sell out. I thought capacity was about 1,000, with average attendance around 600? Especially with the back to back games, I would have otherwise planned to get to the rink pretty close to puck drop. It sounds like if you aren't there at least an hour early, there's a good chance of not getting in?
      You're right about the average numbers. But as HockeyBuckeye correctly points out, a Minnesota game will draw additional fans. And this is a #1 vs. #2 match-up.

But there are some factors that cut the other way. The head-to-head conflicts with Men's Hockey will cost the Women's Game some fans. On Saturday, the partial conflict with the OSU/Penn State Football Telecast will cause some fans to arrive late to the Ice Rink. As opposed to showing up at 2:00, in the middle of the Football Game. Note that last Saturday against UMD, the hockey crowd noticeably improved once the FB game vs. Iowa was a done deal. The start times are the same next weekend.

Since our crowd is 100% Walk-Up, none of us are in a position to make guarantees. But speaking only for myself, I would be shocked if you got to the Ice Rink 40 minutes early, in time for warm-ups, but were turned away at the door. Even for Minnesota.

Finally, if you're choosy about your seat location, then of course earlier is better. Remember that the Ice Rink is Festival Seating. (General Admission) Hoping for Center Ice? Then by all means come an hour plus before face-off. But if you're less choosy, then coming for warm-ups should be fine.

EDIT: I now hear that the Department of Athletics is preparing for an overflow crowd. So follow HockeyBuckeye's advice, as opposed to the thoughts I posted above. See Post #141.

Where would you recommend parking if you were going to both games? With the Mens game at 5, I guess I should be able to get back to the Womens rink before 8 but that would be cutting it a little close. I suppose I could drive between them too, but that seems kind of silly if they are only a couple blocks apart.
      I do just what HockeyBuckeye does when attending at both buildings. Key variable? Parking is FREE and easy at both locations. So why wouldn't you use both lots?

Well, there is at least one good reason. You might enjoy the walk over the fairly new, somewhat picturesque bridge over the Olentangy River. And as per HockeyBuckeye, the distance really isn't that far. Maybe Mariucci to Dinkytown? You're just crossing over a small river instead of set of train tracks.

For me, Plan B would be to park at the Schott prior to the Women's Game, then walk a round trip to the Ice Rink. Two Reasons. First, if there's any traffic back-up before either game, you'll be walking instead of waiting in a line of cars. Then, after the 2nd game is over, you'll be happy to have your car right there at the Schott. (Technically Baseball Stadium Parking)
      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-25-2022, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I couldn't help myself and showed the Blue Jackets girls my Red Wings jacket. What kind of person does that make me trolling children? LOL!
        As far as the band they generally don't announce when they'll be there. The men's team gets the band, the women get the extra band members if they're available. Title IX?
        lol there’s one in every crowd. Hopefully they can round up some extras….also thinking about making the trip and hoping the band (or a gaggle of foot stomping and screaming girl hockey players) shows up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

Speaking of, I'll be in Columbus this weekend.
          Nice! Any interest in meeting?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

hoping the band (or a gaggle of foot stomping and screaming girl hockey players) shows up.
            No reason your expectations shouldn't be met but don't know about the band.
            After Friday's game against Duluth when Coach Muzerall came off the ice she was swarmed by her former players (Alumni Night) all screaming and jumping up and down with her joining right in. I couldn't have been happier for her!

Comment

Nice! Any interest in meeting?
              Sure. Not sure which of my Gopher jerseys I'll be wearing, but the three I have with me (I'm writing this from the Belvidere Oasis on I-90 in Illinois; I'm visiting my father in Ann Arbor for a few days before driving down to Columbus) are: the gold Skarzynski; the white, old GWH Flug; and the maroon Downey. Or, if you know who osualum86 is, he can point me out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

Sure. Not sure which of my Gopher jerseys I'll be wearing, but the three I have with me (I'm writing this from the Belvidere Oasis on I-90 in Illinois; I'm visiting my father in Ann Arbor for a few days before driving down to Columbus) are: the gold Skarzynski; the white, old GWH Flug; and the maroon Downey. Or, if you know who osualum86 is, he can point me out.
                I'm easy to find. Look for the older guy with the #23 OSU jersey with the Frozen Frozen patch on it.
                I'm pretty familiar with Ann Arbor, my grandmother was a UM grad - Class of 1918 and my daughter was a prospect for Michigan's softball team. I highly recommend Satchels BBQ over on Washtenaw.
                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-25-2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                  But there are some factors that cut the other way. The head-to-head conflicts with Men's Hockey will cost the Women's Game some fans. On Saturday, the partial conflict with the OSU/Penn State Football Telecast will cause some fans to arrive late to the Ice Rink...

... Since our crowd is 100% Walk-Up, none of us are in a position to make guarantees. But speaking only for myself, I would be shocked if you got to the Ice Rink 40 minutes early, in time for warm-ups, but were turned away at the door. Even for Minnesota.
                  On Further Review:
                  I now hear that the Department of Athletics is planning on setting up for Standing Room; planning on hand stamps for everyone in attendance, etc. etc.

So I need to retract my advice. Do what HockeyBuckeye said; be in line 1 hour plus early to make sure you get in.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

On Further Review:
                    I now hear that the Department of Athletics is planning on setting up for Standing Room; planning on hand stamps for everyone in attendance, etc. etc.

So I need to retract my advice. Do what HockeyBuckeye said; be in line 1 hour plus early to make sure you get in.

Question, did they do standing room when we hosted the NCAA tournament game?

Comment

Question, did they do standing room when we hosted the NCAA tournament game?
                      Great question. I don't remember for sure; I was preoccupied with the game itself that night!

But IIRC, wasn't that one of those rare occasions where admission was charged, due to the fact it was an NCAA Event? This is no better than a vague memory, but I think once all of the tickets corresponding to seats were gone, that was that.

Trouble is, with Festival Seating, if those with places on the benches spread out even a little, the last to arrive will likely wind up standing. The question is where. And if the affected fans know up front that they should expect to stand.

Also remember that in the case of the NCAA Game, there was a visiting school allotment to protect.

Comment

• What does standing room mean for this rink?

as I recall for the ncaa game, yes they charged admission. Upon entering the ice rink area it seemed that was players only so they could walk to the ice or hang out waiting for the zamboni to be done. There were some people in there but I assume they had team or ops responsibilities. directly behind the one net was the knuckle bucks? Like a wild fan area but it was also roped off. Then there was the bleachers which was home to the band, video crew, and fans. Then the area behind the other net had a few people but not many. It was more subdued. More like people in the corner on the bleacher side, not right behind the net. I thought it was a VIP section maybe, as it was also roped off. That’s how I remember it.
                        Last edited by Lindsay; 10-25-2022, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• I just put an inquiry in asking if there are plans to have the band at either games this weekend. I'll post the reply when I get one.
                          if the band is there that will take a chunk of seating away from the fans.

Comment

What does standing room mean for this rink?
                            The capacity of the rink is listed as 1415 and I don't see how. Back in the day is was listed around 850 so I'm rather puzzled. It hasn't grown and in fact the ice was shorter than regulation originally and when the ice was finally extended to regulation the south bleachers were shortened to just two rows so capacity was reduced.
                            Standing room only would be the open area against the glass between the main and south bleachers.
                            Perhaps osualum86 or Mr.PGB could fill me in since I wasn't there but wasn't our NCAA quarter final game we hosted a sellout? The official attendance was listed as 778.
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-25-2022, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Standing room only would be the open area against the glass between the main and south bleachers.
                              Hmm I hope you are mistaken. That would ruin the event for folks in the bleachers imo. hope standing room means they can line the glass in the areas that don’t have bleachers, the way people do at the Mercyhurst rink for example.

I asked the question because the non bleacher areas seem roped off… it will be an adventure.

Comment

Hmm I hope you are mistaken. That would ruin the event for folks in the bleachers imo. hope standing room means they can line the glass in the areas that don’t have bleachers, the way people do at the Mercyhurst rink for example.

I asked the question because the non bleacher areas seem roped off… it will be an adventure.
                                I checked with the rink and the online listed capacity of 1415 is wrong, it is in the 800's. If you take the 778 attendance of the quarterfinal game and add the teams and their staff, on and off ice officials, ushers and rink staff would be about 70 additional people which brings us up to right around around 850.
                                To answer Lindsay's question if needed for standing room the roped off section would be used for standing room only.
                                Also keep in mind it's not the university who decides the buildings maximum capacity but the Fire Marshall.
                                So for people coming from out of town for the women's game get there well before the doors open to guarantee entry so your trip isn't in vain.
                                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-26-2022, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X