Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleven Warriors had a great writeup on our series against Duluth.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...mpionship-game

Comment

• On a side note, during one of the intermissions in the rink lobby one of the Duluth fans was telling me and another Ohio State's football team was weak and wouldn't beat Michigan. The TV was right in front of him showing our football team setting a scoring record against Iowa.
      I don't know if this guy ever played hockey but if he did I'd say he's been checked hard into the boards too many times if you know what I mean! (Wink)

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        What a nice play by Maltais on the game winner assist. Speed, grit and skill all on the same play.

Do you guys think the band will be their next weekend?
        Maltais has matured/improved as a player in her year with Team Canada. Maltais did the same kind of game winner assist to Rosenthal against Minnesota State on 10/1.

It’s hard to say if the band will there next weekend. The Men’s ice hockey team is at home next weekend against Minnesota (Friday 630pm and Saturday 500pm).

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

Then it must have been one of those rare reverse flukes.

Haha. You know I'm just having fun with you.
          I know you are, Friend! I like your old nickname for our women ... "the Scarlet Scourge." I got a memory like an elephant, I remember that. I think that nickname certainly fits these days with the relentless brand of hockey Coach Muzerall has us playing. I have never actually been to Duluth before. Hoping to make a trip up there that second or third weekend of March!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            What a nice play by Maltais on the game winner assist. Speed, grit and skill all on the same play.

Sounds like it was a great atmosphere. I’d never heard “I wanna dance with somebody” at a hockey game and wondered if it was a reference to their meeting in the NCAA’s. Probably not but that’s what it reminded me of.

The comMentators said the Girls AAA Blue Jackets were riling up the crowd and stomping their feet so much they made the camera shake. That’s fantastic, hopefully they go to as many games as their schedules allow.

Whoever Emily on the color commentating was yesterday did a nice job.

Do you guys think the band will be their next weekend?
            The Emily you are referring to is Emily Curlett who played her grad year for the Buckeyes after Robert Morris dropped their program. She was doing commentary for Friday's game and I am biased (obviously), but I agree with you that she does a nice job! She is very eloquent and she obviously knows the game. Emily is also one of the Coaches for the AAA Blue Jackets and was sitting with her team during Saturday's game. I am happy that Emily chose to stick around Columbus. This was Alumni Weekend and a lot of the alums were at the games cheering the girls on, which added to the atmosphere. I would love to see the band show the girls some love, but if the men's team is home, that is where they normally are, and the men are home this weekend. Not sure if this was done intentionally or not, but both the men and women are playing the Gophers this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

I have never actually been to Duluth before. Hoping to make a trip up there that second or third weekend of March!
              That's the big problem for us and the other WCHA fans who still live in their school's state, the distance from Columbus to the rest of the WCHA.
              Only the most dedicated fans would make the drive or pay for flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Eleven Warriors had a great writeup on our series against Duluth.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...mpionship-game
                Thanks for sharing this, Hockeyebuckeye!

Regarding the fan that said our football team was weak and would not beat Michigan, he obviously hasn't been paying attention. Not to get this thread off on a football tangent, but if I were the rest of the BIG, it would really concern me that Ohio State didn't really play very well yesterday and still beat Iowa like a drum.

Comment

That's the big problem for us and the other WCHA fans who still live in their school's state, the distance from Columbus to the rest of the WCHA.
                  Only the most dedicated fans would make the drive or pay for flights.
                  Yeah, we used to try and make one road trip a season, but it is a challenge for us Ohio State fans. The closest road trip we have in the WCHA is a seven-hour drive to Madison to watch us take on the Badgers at LaBahn. I will say this, the Wisconsin Women's Hockey fans are really nice. One time we went up there and someone left us tickets. We have met RobertEarle and Timothy A. I would love to blow Timothy A's cover and let Coach know where he sits, but I am going to be a good sport and keep it a secret (wink, wink). Actually, I think Timothy A has been on here and let everyone know where he sits, but in case he hasn't, I will keep it to myself. We have been out to Penn State when we have played them in the regular season. We have also traveled to Mercyhurst and Robert Morris. Back in the 2015-16 season, we made the trip to the St. Louis area to watch the girls play Lindenwood. During the 2019-20 season, we decided to make a road trip to St. Cloud. There were a couple of former Buckeyes playing for St. Cloud (Dana Rasmussen & McKenna Wesloh) so we wanted to say hi to them after the games, too. Us OSU fans, we don't care if a player is only here for a year or even one semester, we will claim them, and they will always be Buckeyes to us! Regarding other road trips, we went out to Boston for the 2018 quarterfinal game vs Boston College. The girls rewarded us with a 2-0 win over the Eagles to send us to our first-ever Frozen Four. Funny story about that, I ran into Grant (Tony The Tiger) before the game and he was talking about how our goaltender Kassidy Sauve was "only" 90%. I did not say it out loud to him, but I just kept thinking, "I would take a 90% Kassidy Sauve over a lot of goalies at 100%." One road trip we did not make it to was the 2021 Quarterfinals / Frozen Four. By the time the good people in Erie, PA decided they would allow some fans to attend, it was too late for us to get time off work and make the trip. Would have been a nice, reasonable drive for us. We absolutely made the 5-hour drive to Penn State for the 2022 Frozen Four to watch our girls win it all. We are hoping to make the trek to Duluth if the girls get through the quarterfinals, but I think we are going to make the 12-hour drive. We are not going to have the coin to fly. But yeah, you are spot on regarding the difficulty for Buckeye fans to travel. Thankfully, we have a number of girls from Minnesota on the roster, so there are always Parents at the games in Minnesota to cheer the girls on.

Comment

• Still not as bad when our men's team and Alaska Fairbanks were both in the CCHA!

Comment

• Speaking of RoadTrips, I'm planning on making my first hockey trip to Columbus this weekend. I'm shooting for the women's/men's doubleheader on Saturday. Any advise for a first time visitor? It looks like walking between the two rinks should be easy enough?

Brewery recommendations would also be welcomed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                        Speaking of RoadTrips, I'm planning on making my first hockey trip to Columbus this weekend. I'm shooting for the women's/men's doubleheader on Saturday. Any advise for a first time visitor? It looks like walking between the two rinks should be easy enough?

It's about a 400-500 yard walk between the two arenas. You just have to cross the bridge over the river. You should be able to see it easily on Google Maps.
                        Parking is free at both venues for hockey, the women's game are free admission, for the men's is $12.00 and don't but in advance and pay ticketmaster fees, buy at the door, there will be plenty of seats as the arena seats nearly 19,000! If you want to sit behind the Gophers bench you'll want section 106 and the second level is 206.
                        As far as brewery the Varsity Club is directly across the street from the women's rink and the Shott where the men play sells alcohol. You can get beer on all the levels of the arena and if you want something stronger there's a bar on the second level. Like at the NHL arenas they overcharge for it.
                        If you want to get together and tip one back the first ones on me. Always appreciate the opponents fans making the effort to support their team!
                        One last thing, the old barn the women play in is very small with very limited seating. Doors open an hour before game time and it's first come first served and they count heads and cut off entry when legal capacity is reached so get there well before the doors open!
                        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-23-2022, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Final Score From Saturday, October 22nd
                          Ohio State 3
                          Minnesota- Duluth 2

Well, crud. I was using this post as a template, and moronically edited away the entire post.

The Story Line: This was the 3rd Consecutive Buckeye 3-2 Win over the Bulldogs. I compared it to the "Dos y Sero" USA Soccer Wins over Mexico.

#1 Star: (tie) Riley Brengman, Ohio State, and Emma Maltais, Ohio State

Since I'm not 100% sure of the rest, I'll have to leave it at that.

Unless someone knows how to recover deleted material and can teach me, the balance of the 10/22 write-up is gone for good. Should have printed off a copy...
                          Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-29-2022, 10:09 AM. Reason: Digging through the rubble; I salvaged just a little bit of the original post.

Comment

Speaking of RoadTrips, I'm planning on making my first hockey trip to Columbus this weekend. I'm shooting for the women's/men's doubleheader on Saturday. Any advise for a first time visitor? It looks like walking between the two rinks should be easy enough?

One last thing for Saturdays game, free parking at the women's lot ends at 8:00 and 11:00 at the men's lot at the Schott.

Comment

One last thing, the old barn the women play in is very small with very limited seating. Doors open an hour before game time and it's first come first served and they count heads and cut off entry when legal capacity is reached so get there well before the doors open!
                              Ok - I'm glad I asked then. I knew the women's rink was small, but I hadn't really considered that they would sell out. I thought capacity was about 1,000, with average attendance around 600? Especially with the back to back games, I would have otherwise planned to get to the rink pretty close to puck drop. It sounds like if you aren't there at least an hour early, there's a good chance of not getting in?

Where would you recommend parking if you were going to both games? With the Mens game at 5, I guess I should be able to get back to the Womens rink before 8 but that would be cutting it a little close. I suppose I could drive between them too, but that seems kind of silly if they are only a couple blocks apart.

Comment

Ok - I'm glad I asked then. I knew the women's rink was small, but I hadn't really considered that they would sell out.

Where would you recommend parking if you were going to both games?
                                It's hard to predict attendance but it is Minnesota which make it a special game for all hockey fans but if you're waiting outside the doors 20 minutes before the doors open you should be good.
                                As far as parking I'd start off at the women's rink and drive over to the men's afterwards, that's what I do. Look at Google Maps, from the women's rink you go west on Lane Ave cross the river and the second traffic light is Fred Taylor Drive. Turn right and in a couple hundred yards is Borror Dr and turn right onto it. You'll pull right up to the lot attendants who will guide you into the correct lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X