Ohio State Buckeyes 2022-2023 ... The Drive For Duluth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

... For the Duluth fans who are coming down, I want to apologize in advance for our home football game Saturday and the fact that you will have to pay $20 to park and your parking spot will likely not be close to the OSU Ice Rink.
    I am hearing through the grapevine that Hockey Fans will be given a "parking option" at the North Lane Garage. That ramp is located immediately North of the Ice Rink, across Lane Avenue. Locals will know what I mean when I say it's the ramp right next to the former Conrad's.

I wish I had more details, but I presume that those details will be announced at Friday night's game. If this does comes to pass, that's going to be your first choice for parking on Saturday.

EDIT: The OSU Website implies that parking will be FREE at the North Lane Garage, provided you identify yourself as coming for the hockey game. If so, this is definitely your first choice!!

I don't like that OSU does this, but football pays the bills, so we live with it. Don't get me wrong, I am as big an OSU Football fan as the next guy. It's just kind of a pain when there is a home football game the same Saturday as Women's Hockey. Thankfully, this is only happening once this season where there is a home football game on the same Saturday where Women's Hockey is home.
    I'm with you 100% on this. Will definitely DVR the Football game for later viewing.

The only thing I'd add is that this is Women's Hockey Alumni Weekend. Our alums specifically like having their weekend include a Football Saturday. So in a normal season, there is going to be at least one weekend when both teams play at home.
    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-21-2022, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      I am hearing through the grapevine that Hockey Fans will be given a "parking option" at the North Lane Garage. That ramp is located immediately North of the Ice Rink, across Lane Avenue. Locals will know what I mean when I say it's the ramp right next to the former Conrad's.

I wish I had more details, but I presume that those details will be announced at Friday night's game. If this does comes to pass, that's going to be your first choice for parking on Saturday.

EDIT: The OSU Website implies that parking will be FREE at the North Lane Garage, provided you identify yourself as coming for the hockey game. If so, this is definitely your first choice!!

I'm with you 100% on this. Will definitely DVR the Football game for later viewing.

The only thing I'd add is that this is Women's Hockey Alumni Weekend. Our alums specifically like having their weekend include a Football Saturday. So in a normal season, there is going to be at least one weekend when both teams play at home.
      Pgb, thank you for the additional clarification on this. You are correct about the Lane Avenue Garage having some spots set aside for hockey fans. You are also correct that they do intentionally schedule Women's Hockey Alumni Weekend when there is a home football game because the alums like to go see the football team.

Comment

• Earlier tonight, Ohio State defeated Minnesota-Duluth in a game that totally lived up to the hype. 60 minutes was not enough, so the game went into overtime where the Buckeyes sent the home crowd away with smiles on their faces in the 3-2 win. Here's how we got there. Neither team could light the lamp in the first period so the Bucks and Dogs went into the first intermission with a 0-0 score. Ohio State struck first on a power-play goal by Jenna Buglioni to take a 1-0 lead. UMD would answer on a goal from Clara Van Wieren to tie it at 1-1. The Buckeyes' Jenn Gardiner answered to put the hosts up 2-1 and that is how the second period ended. The Bulldogs' Maggie Flaherty scored the only goal of the third period to tie it at 2-2 and the teams went into overtime. With less than a minute to play in the overtime, Jenna Buglioni gathered the puck at center ice, skated in on UMD goaltender Emma Soderberg, and scored glove-side to win it for the Buckeyes. Ohio State outshot Duluth 32-17 with Buckeye netminder Amanda Thiele stopping 15 of the 17 shots she faced to get the win. UMD goaltender Emma Soderberg stopped 29 of the 32 shots she faced. The two teams will wrap up their series tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 pm EST. See Pgb's note above regarding parking.

Comment

• Yes, today's game met all predictions and hype. The refs let them play and players from both teams got away with some pretty obvious takedowns. For the second weekend in a row one of our players took a savage elbow to the head and only a two minute penalty called instead of the required five minutes.
          There was a lot of skill and intensity on the ice and off. When the Bulldogs came off the ice for the second intermission our hockey alumni let them know their feeling towards the Bulldogs known as the players walked past!
          You couldn't have asked for a more exciting finish with Ohio State scoring on a breakaway in OT. My wife wasn't happy as she couldn't see the winning goal because as our player rushed up ice all the fans leaped to their feet and she's physically unable to stan quickly so her vision was blocked.

Comment

• Final Score From Friday, October 21st
            Ohio State 3
            Minnesota-Duluth 2 (O.T.)
            The Jenna Buglioni Show

PA Announcer Rick excites the crowd when he calls out: #10, Jenna Booo-glioni! Jenna thrills the crowd with her lightning speed and superb skill. Nice combination.

I dunno. Maybe when #10 is announced, the crowd should Boo Along With Rick? It might have possibilities.

But I do know two things. First, Buglioni won Friday's game with two Bu-tiful goals. Second, at a more general level, when the Bu-gle sounds, the hockey fun begins.
            Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: Both Rosters
            The Buckeyes and Bulldogs are both deep teams. Friday's championship-caliber game featured contributions from up & down the lineups. It would have been really tough to settle on a couple of specific players to recognize at the honorable mention level. Could be I'm icing the puck on this one. But I settled on recognizing five players, and giving all of them Star Status.

Final Count?
            Buckeyes Receive 3 Stars.
            Bulldogs Receive 2 Stars.
            It Seemed Fitting.

#3 Star: (tie) Jennifer Gardiner, Ohio State and Gabby Rosenthal, Ohio State
            Between the two Buglioni tallies, the Buckeyes scored a vital goal off an offensive zone face-off. Gabby drew the puck directly to Jenn. With devastating quickness, Gardiner slammed it home. For her part, Rosenthal was effective in the face-off circle all night long, winning 22 of 34 draws. That translates to 64.7%.

#2 Star: (tie) Ashton Bell, Minnesota-Duluth and Maggie Flaherty, Minnesota-Duluth
            The Buckeyes usually rely on an aggressive forecheck to create scoring chances. No such scoring tonight. UMD's First 'D' Pair was particularly effective in maintaining control of the puck & safely getting it out of harm's way. Ashton finished the contest at +1. That matched the highest total on either team, even though it came in a losing effort. Maggie led her defense with 4 Blocked Shots, the highest Bulldog total. For good measure, Flaherty bagged the goal that tied the game 2-2.

#1 Star: Jenna Buglioni, Ohio State
            There aren't many players in the WCHA who can beat Gabbie Hughes to a loose puck. But Jenna is one who can. That was the moment the door opened for OSU in the 3x3 Overtime. If fairness to Hughes, she was on the receiving end of a tough-to-handle, off-line pass. Not many players in the WCHA could have held off Buglioni in that situation. In any event, Jenna prevailed, and we had ourselves a Buglioni Breakaway. Upon reaching the Bulldog slot, the right-hander lasered a shot into the upper right hand corner of the net. That set off a wild celebration on both sides of the glass. Current players on the ice; an assembly of Buckeye alums on the glass in the South Bleachers.

A Touch Of Irony: A shoot-out style goal saved us from going to a shoot-out.

The GWG was true awesomeness. But without Jenna's first goal, maybe we don't even get to Overtime. It came on a Buckeye Power Play. Sydney Morrow with the puck on the right point. Morrow slides the puck across to Riley Brengman at Left 'D.' Big shot from Brengman. Buglioni chops down on the stiff shot, resulting in a nifty tip-in.

Up Next: After The 2022 Championship Game, And Last Night's Overtime Thriller, Another Epic Battle Almost Seems Like Too Much To Expect. But It Could Happen! The Only Way To Find Out Is To Brave The Football Crowd & Show Up At The Ice Rink. Face-Off Saturday is @ 3:01 PM.
            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-22-2022, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• 1) 5 out of 6 points this weekend. Good job Bucks!
              2) OSU is giving up too many goals on odd man rushes.
              3) Iffland, face offs. Ugh.

Comment

• I'm thinking that this weekend's result must have been a fluke.

What do you guys think?

Comment

• I'd call the first period even money, second period Duluth seemed more in control especially how perfectly they pulled off the breakaway to go up 2-1.
                  In the third the Buckeyes did what they needed to do to take the lead and hold off a very determined opponent with their goalie pulled!
                  Sweeps are SO sweet!
                  Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-22-2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• The Buckeyes defeated UMD earlier today 3-2 to sweep the series. The Bulldogs struck first in this one on a goal from Mannon McMahon to take a 1-0 lead. Later in the period, Ohio State's Gabby Rosenthal lit the lamp to tie it at 1-1 and that is how the first period ended. UMD's Gabby Hughes scored the only goal of the second period and the Bulldogs took a 2-1 lead into the final intermission. Ohio State came out and scored two goals in the third period to win it 3-2. Jenn Gardiner tied the game at 2-2 and Riley Brengman scored the game-winner. Ohio State outshot UMD 37-25 with Buckeye netminder Amanda Thiele stopping 23 of the 25 shots she faced to get the win. UMD's Emma Soderberg stopped 34 of the 37 shots she faced. It doesn't get any easier for the Buckeyes as they will host the Minnesota Gophers next weekend. The Bulldogs will return home and host the Wisconsin Badgers next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      I'm thinking that this weekend's result must have been a fluke.

What do you guys think?
                      I don't know Blackbeard, we won both games by the same score. I think that proves it wasn't a fluke, right? (wink emoji)

Comment

• What a nice play by Maltais on the game winner assist. Speed, grit and skill all on the same play.

Sounds like it was a great atmosphere. I’d never heard “I wanna dance with somebody” at a hockey game and wondered if it was a reference to their meeting in the NCAA’s. Probably not but that’s what it reminded me of.

The comMentators said the Girls AAA Blue Jackets were riling up the crowd and stomping their feet so much they made the camera shake. That’s fantastic, hopefully they go to as many games as their schedules allow.

Whoever Emily on the color commentating was yesterday did a nice job.

Do you guys think the band will be their next weekend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

The comMentatorssaid the Girls AAA Blue Jackets were rilng up the crowd

I couldn't help myself and showed the Blue Jackets girls my Red Wings jacket. What kind of person does that make me trolling children? LOL!
                          As far as the band they generally don't announce when they'll be there. The men's team gets the band, the women get the extra band members if they're available. Title IX?

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

I don't know Blackbeard, we won both games by the same score. I think that proves it wasn't a fluke, right? (wink emoji)
                            Then it must have been one of those rare reverse flukes.

Haha. You know I'm just having fun with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                              What a nice play by Maltais on the game winner assist. Speed, grit and skill all on the same play.

Sounds like it was a great atmosphere. I’d never heard “I wanna dance with somebody” at a hockey game and wondered if it was a reference to their meeting in the NCAA’s. Probably not but that’s what it reminded me of.

The comMentators said the Girls AAA Blue Jackets were riling up the crowd and stomping their feet so much they made the camera shake. That’s fantastic, hopefully they go to as many games as their schedules allow.

Whoever Emily on the color commentating was yesterday did a nice job.

Emily Curlett does a good job. She has never announced until this season. The other announcer is Zach Rodier. Zach does a good job also. I watch a lot of games on BiG10+ and these 2 do a very good job. They aren’t “homers”. They just announce the games. If you watch other teams on BIG10+, you know what I mean by homers.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports...emily-curlett/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/zachary-rodier-4871131b1

Zach also has a podcast. OSU Women’s Ice Hockey, OSU Men’s Ice Hockey, CBJ
                              https://podbay.fm/p/1647636758

Comment

• Originally posted by Bkruczynski View Post

Emily Curlett does a good job. She has never announced until this season. The other announcer is Zach Rodier. Zach does a good job also. I watch a lot of games on BiG10+ and these 2 do a very good job. They aren’t “homers”. They just announce the games. If you watch other teams on BIG10+, you know what I mean by homers.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports...emily-curlett/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/zachary-rodier-4871131b1

Zach also has a podcast. OSU Women’s Ice Hockey, OSU Men’s Ice Hockey, CBJ
                                https://podbay.fm/p/1647636758

I wondered if it was Curlett. Thanks for all the info. she is also coaching with the girls AAA Blue Jackets. Great to see her still involved with hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X