This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Matthews was a scoring machine for Wayzata high school (which is actually located in Plymouth) - she was, by far, the best player on their team. I don't know if the Gophers tried to recruit her - or not - but starting with the announcement of her decision to attend Ohio State, I've wondered if they didn't, why not?
    Interesting how school/community boundaries overlap. I have a clear memory of Wayzata being a Lake Minnetonka Shore community. I've only known a couple people from Plymouth, and they were located near Medicine Lake. I had no idea Plymouth extended far enough South to partner with Wayzata. But that's one of the fun things about geography; there's always something new to learn.

As for Sloane's choice of school, perhaps she grew up wanting to be a Buckeye? (Winking Emoticon Here)

Comment

Ohio State completed the sweep of St. Cloud earlier today by a final score of 6-2. The Buckeyes scored the game's first two goals, one from Paetyn Levis and one from Gabby Rosenthal to take a 2-0 lead into the first intermission. Emma Gentry scored for St. Cloud in the second period to cut Ohio State's lead to 2-1. Ohio State scored the next three goals to take a 5-1 lead into the second intermission. Scoring the Buckeye goals were Sloane Matthews, Sydney Morrow, and Sophie Jaques. Ohio State's Sophie Jaques added another goal in the third period to put the Bucks up 6-1 before St. Cloud's Jennina Nylund scored a late goal to make the final score 6-2. Ohio State outshot St. Cloud 43-14 with Buckeye netminder Amanda Thiele stopping 12 of the 14 shots she faced. St. Cloud goaltenders Sanni Ahola and Jojo Chobak combined to stop 37 of the 43 shots they faced. Ohio State will travel to Bemidji State next weekend to take on the Beavers. St. Cloud will return home to host the Wisconsin Badgers next weekend.

Comment

It was quite a chippy game. Several scrums broke out. St.Cloud lost their cool and vented their frustration with some cheap shots. Emma was laid out on the ice from a deliberate elbow to the head. The fans were livid that the refs called it a 2 minute penalty instead of a 5 minute major and ejection!

Comment

Saturday was my turn to go over to the Schott for a Men's Hockey game. Of course I was at the Ice Rink for the National Champions Ceremony. The 1st Period as well.

Leaving the Ice Rink early was tough. But missing 7 of the first 8 Men's games just wasn't an option.

For this thread, that means that The Three Stars takes a reluctant night off. Your self-appointed astronomer will be back in position for both UMD games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
            It was quite a chippy game. Several scrums broke out. St.Cloud lost their cool and vented their frustration with some cheap shots. Emma was laid out on the ice from a deliberate elbow to the head. The fans were livid that the refs called it a 2 minute penalty instead of a 5 minute major and ejection!
            As per my previous post, I missed all of the excitement you're describing. Haven't seen any footage from the 2nd & 3rd Periods yet. But in the abstract, I certainly agree that head shots are always uncalled for.

At the same time, objectivity requires me to note that we saw a different Emma this weekend, in comparison to the player we've seen in the past. Apparently as a result of her international seasoning, our Hockey Angel has become a bit of a Fighting Saint.

For the most part, I'll let others judge whether that's for the better or for the worse. But based on the four periods I observed, Emma did a fair amount of instigating. This is hockey. When you instigate, a response usually goes with the territory.
            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-09-2022, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Welcome to Idalski-coached hockey…

Comment

I'm a little ticked off at USCHO at the moment. UW had a write up on them this weekend but not Ohio State.
                We're only 4-0, defending National Champions, ranked #1 and honored the National Champion team at Saturday's team and that's not worth a story? Where's the love?

Comment

I'm a little ticked off at USCHO at the moment. UW had a write up on them this weekend but not Ohio State.
                  We're only 4-0, defending National Champions, ranked #1 and honored the National Champion team at Saturday's team and that's not worth a story? Where's the love?
                  It isn't about love; it's about staff and access. USCHO's women's editor lives in Wisconsin and has covered the Badgers for years. Almost 20 years ago when David DeRemer was the women's D-I editor and Brian Schulz was doing a USCHO Game of the Week, the site was better positioned to cover the East, as both were Harvard students. At that time, DeRemer sought out rink reporters for local coverage, and USCHO employed editors to receive and post game recaps. Over the years, that editing staff has been downsized, so there are far fewer writers and recaps, other than those that Nicole does as a bonus.

For that reason, anything that those who view games can add to the forum is a help to those of us who are trying to follow one or more teams.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It was great finally meeting you in person!! Totally agree with you on the cheap shot on Emma Maltais. That was a deliberate elbow to the head and the officials should have called it accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

It was great finally meeting you in person!! Totally agree with you on the cheap shot on Emma Maltais. That was a deliberate elbow to the head and the officials should have called it accordingly.
                      It was great to meet you too!
                      It was well worth hopping over to the men's game after the women's. Coming back from down 3-0 to win 4-3 completed the sweep to make both our teams undefeated so far!

Comment

It was great to meet you too!
                        It was well worth hopping over to the men's game after the women's. Coming back from down 3-0 to win 4-3 completed the sweep to make both our teams undefeated so far!
                        I saw that. Good home-opening weekend for the men and women!

Comment

ARM covered most of this, but I am literally one person who does all the women's DI writing and I don't have an editor. I would LOVE to be able to travel and cover more, but the very frank answer is I do not make enough money for that to be possible. I try to travel to at least one or two out-of-state series a year, but because of where I am, that's not super feasible. Also, I drive to keep costs down and because this is a winter sport, that means making judgement calls about snow and ice. It's an hour drive each way for me to go to games in Madison, which I happily do very frequently, but even that sometimes just isn't possible.

The short of it is, if I'm in house for a game, I'll do a recap, regardless of the opponent. That's because I have access to line charts and go to the post-game to talk to coaches and players. I do not write gamers when I don't have those things. Generally, I try to stay home and watch a bunch of streams at least one weekend day. If Wisconsin is playing a ranked opponent, I'll make the trip to Madison for both games. I personally feel like I learn a lot more about a team and get more information seeing teams in person. Streams are much harder to glean things from.

I do not write up games I just watch on streams because anything I write would be inferior to what the teams put up on their own sites as recaps. I also usually have 2-3 games on at any given time. It's hard to do any of them justice. None of this is ideal, but it is the system I've come up with. I used to feel like I had to be at every Wisconsin home game, but that was really difficult and meant I didn't get to watch as many teams, so I stay home more often with my multi-screen set up.

I know I don't get over here to post as often as folks would probably like, but I do try to come over and read through stuff and add in my two cents or any info I have. As one person trying to cover 42 teams, it's impossible to do it all. But also, feel free to Tweet (@nicolehaase) at me. I'm pretty open and accessible and am so appreciative of you all.
                          It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post

ARM covered most of this, but I am literally one person who does all the women's DI writing and I don't have an editor. I would LOVE to be able to travel and cover more, but the very frank answer is I do not make enough money for that to be possible. I try to travel to at least one or two out-of-state series a year, but because of where I am, that's not super feasible. Also, I drive to keep costs down and because this is a winter sport, that means making judgement calls about snow and ice. It's an hour drive each way for me to go to games in Madison, which I happily do very frequently, but even that sometimes just isn't possible.

The short of it is, if I'm in house for a game, I'll do a recap, regardless of the opponent. That's because I have access to line charts and go to the post-game to talk to coaches and players. I do not write gamers when I don't have those things. Generally, I try to stay home and watch a bunch of streams at least one weekend day. If Wisconsin is playing a ranked opponent, I'll make the trip to Madison for both games. I personally feel like I learn a lot more about a team and get more information seeing teams in person. Streams are much harder to glean things from.

I do not write up games I just watch on streams because anything I write would be inferior to what the teams put up on their own sites as recaps. I also usually have 2-3 games on at any given time. It's hard to do any of them justice. None of this is ideal, but it is the system I've come up with. I used to feel like I had to be at every Wisconsin home game, but that was really difficult and meant I didn't get to watch as many teams, so I stay home more often with my multi-screen set up.

I know I don't get over here to post as often as folks would probably like, but I do try to come over and read through stuff and add in my two cents or any info I have. As one person trying to cover 42 teams, it's impossible to do it all. But also, feel free to Tweet (@nicolehaase) at me. I'm pretty open and accessible and am so appreciative of you all.
                            Nicole, thanks for coming by and clearing things up on this!

Comment

The Buckeye Women opened their road series at Bemidji State with a 4-0 win over the Beavers. Ohio State opened the scoring in the first period on a goal from Kenzie Hauswirth and the teams would go into the first intermission with the Buckeyes up 1-0. Neither team scored in the second period so the teams went into the final intermission with the Buckeyes clinging to a 1-0 lead. The Buckeyes erupted for three third-period goals, two from Sophie Jaques, and the final goal was scored by Jenna Buglioni. The Buckeyes outshot the Beavers 38-14 with Buckeye backstop Raygan Kirk stopping all 14 shots she faced to get the shutout. Bemidji netminder Hannah Hogenson stopped 34 of the 38 shots she faced. The teams are back at it tomorrow with game time being 3:00 pm EST.

Comment

We came alive in the 3rd but I hope we have strong first periods next weekend against Duluth.

Comment

Working...
                                X