This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

And only gave up as many as four goals once during that season, in a loss, and to a better team than MSU.
    Remember that MSU has worked with this group of players for a number of years. They have played together, and gelled. They will be a dangerous sleeper team for any team that underestimates them. Just ask last year's Gopher team about taking Mankato lightly. I don't see any games in the WCHA this year as gimmes. I am very excited for the quality of hockey we will be able to experience. I will enjoy every game, regardless of who is the victor.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
      I don't see any games in the WCHA this year as gimmes.
      I agree. Every team in the WCHA will have to play hard for their wins. Having a strong conference benefits everyone in it. I look forward to seeing the NCAA playoffs filled with WCHA teams!

Comment

The season is underway so where's Mr.PGB?

Comment

Watched both games on B1G+. I'll admit to a little time-shifting.

I agree with ARM's characterization that we "escaped" in the rematch. Also, I believe that as this new season goes on, we're going to pretty happy we secured two road wins in Mankato. Anticipate that the Mavs will be a tough out for everyone.

Last -- not that you need to be reminded -- but a high percentage of my posts are eyewitness accounts from the Ice Rink. B1G+ subscription notwithstanding, I don't expect to make any major changes in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            but a high percentage of my posts are eyewitness accounts from the Ice Rink.
            So which games will you be at this coming weekend, thr men's or women's?

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
              Just ask last year's Gopher team about taking Mankato lightly.
              I don't want to short change MSU. Yes, the Gophers lost to the Mavericks for the first time in years, but I don't think it is a case of being the only way that MSU could win is by UM taking the Mav's lightly.

UMD is a much clearer example of what MSU could do. A day after a 7-0 loss, the Mavericks bounced back with a win during the season. In their playoff series, MSU held a lead in the first game, won the second, and extended the third game to OT. MSU had some spotty results, in part because they lost Anna Wilgren very late, and then they ran out of varsity goalies at times. But they were clearly the team that not none of the top WCHA squads wanted to see in the first round.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                So which games will you be at this coming weekend, thr men's or women's?
                Yes, it's going to be a great weekend of hockey at both buildings.

Comment

Good win tonight for the Buckeyes 5-2. Both teams had several breakaways but couldn't score on it. OSU looked pretty much in control for most of the game. I didn't see the 3rd period, went to catch the rest of the men's game.

Comment

Ohio State won their home opener earlier tonight over St. Cloud by a final score of 5-2. After a scoreless first period, the Buckeyes got two goals from Sophie Jaques and Gabby Rosenthal to go up 2-0. St. Cloud answered later in the period on a goal from Klara Hymlarova and the teams went into the final intermission with the Buckeyes leading 2-1. Ohio State came out and scored two more goals to make it 4-1 in the third period, both off the stick of Sloane Matthews, her first in a Buckeye sweater. The Huskies' Jennina Nylund scored to make it 4-2 but that was as close as St. Cloud would get. Ohio State's Paetyn Levis added an empty netter to make the final score 5-2. The Buckeyes outshot the Huskies 41-15. Ohio State netminder Raygan Kirk stopped 13 of the 15 shots she faced. St. Cloud goaltender Sanni Ahola stopped 36 of the 40 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow with game time being 3:00 pm EST. For those that want to come early, the 2022 National Championship Team will be honored at 2:28 pm.
                    Last edited by osualum86; 10-07-2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      Good win tonight for the Buckeyes 5-2. Both teams had several breakaways but couldn't score on it. OSU looked pretty much in control for most of the game. I didn't see the 3rd period, went to catch the rest of the men's game.
                      Very understandable.

For those not from Ohio State, I should explain why this topic has been the source of some angst. This Fall, our two Hockey teams have conflicting game times at least five times, and perhaps as many as seven times. Bad situation for those who truly care about both teams.

Am I mad at either team? Or any fan who deals with this situation differently than I do? No. No I am not.

Am I dismayed with the "hockey godz," who allowed all of these conflicts to occur? Yes. Yes I am.

Comment

Very understandable.

Am I dismayed with the "hockey godz," who allowed all of these conflicts to occur? Yes. Yes I am.
                        I don't want to start those never ending debates about a new hockey arena. I just want to say if there ever is a new hockey only arena then I think without having to share it with two basketball teams and concerts there will be much more flexibility with the scheduling.

Comment

Save some anger to direct at the Big 10. One of the major scheduling issues is that they do not announce the Big 10 men's hockey schedule until very late in the process, which means that the WCHA schedule is set first. Then, the Big 10 doesn't put any effort at all into not scheduling the men's and women's teams being at home the same weekends.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, October 7th
                            Ohio State 5
                            St. Cloud State 2
                            The Girl Scouts Have It Right

The Girl Scouts Of America have a mantra: Make New Friends; and Keep The Old. One is Silver, and the Other Gold. That fits this weekend perfectly.

On Friday, we honored two Buckeye Olympians. Graduate Student Emma Maltais is clearly an Old Friend, and she's proven that she's Gold three times over with Team Canada. New Friend Sophie Lundin joins us from Team Sweden. The Swedish Freshman certainly looks like precious metal so far; we're glad to have her.

On Saturday, we welcome more Old Friends back to campus for a Ceremony recognizing the 2022 National Champions. I was fortunate to spend a moment with 2022 Captain Liz Schepers after the Friday game. Thus inspired, I went back to the 2022 Buckeye Thread, and revisited my Ten Greatest Memories From The 2022 Frozen Four. Now that was a fun trip to down memory lane! Of course many of the Old Friends from 2022 are still on the team. More on that below.

What's that you say? My Girl Scout reference proves I must be a Dad with a Daughter? Guilty as Charged, and Couldn't be Prouder!

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: Klara Hymlarova
                            The Buckeyes bagged two goals early in the second period. But the Huskies quickly said: Not so fast. Klara capped off a dynamic St. Cloud rush that kept the game close for the rest of the 2nd Period.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Jenn Gardiner
                            Old Friend Jenn Gardiner (Senior Class) opened her home season with a Hat Trick of Assists. Gardiner's 5 Shots on Goal led all players.

#3 Star: Dayle Ross, St. Cloud State
                            The Buckeyes put up a total of 41 SOG in the opener, but the Huskies made it tough to finish. Credit the Huskies' Defense with Courage & Hand Work. Sophomore Defender Ross led the defensive effort with 5 Blocked Shots, the highest total on either team.

#2 Star: (tie) Paetyn Levis, Ohio State and Sophie Jaques, Ohio State
                            Two more Old Friends make the opening night list. Sophie opened the scoring with a patient, surgical shot from the slot. The feed came from Paetyn, who showed considerable patience of her own. While setting up shop in the left wing corner on the PP, she chose just the right might moment, to say nothing of just the right teammate, for her centering pass.

As turned out, Levis was both the Alpha and the Omega on the Score Sheet. On the Omega end, Paetyn dropped a long range bomb into the empty St. Cloud net, with just a couple of ticks left on the clock. Assist To Jenn Gardiner, of course.

#1 Star: Sloane Matthews, Ohio State
                            Top Honors go to New Friend Sloane Matthews. Sloane started off with style. Tonight's GWG was her first goal as a Buckeye. Deciding that this D-1 Hockey gig was kind of fun, Matthews added a 2nd Goal just 4:30 later on a brilliant tip. This New Buckeye comes to us from Plymouth, MN. (NW of Minneapolis) Welcome, Sloane!

Up Next: As Per osualum86, Come To The Ice To Rink To Honor The 2022 National Champions @ 2:28PM Saturday. Opening Face-Off To Follow 33 Minutes Later @ 3:01. It's A Can't Miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

Save some anger to direct at the Big 10. One of the major scheduling issues is that they do not announce the Big 10 men's hockey schedule until very late in the process, which means that the WCHA schedule is set first. Then, the Big 10 doesn't put any effort at all into not scheduling the men's and women's teams being at home the same weekends.
                              Spot On.

Comment

#1 Star: Sloane Matthews, Ohio State
                                Top Honors go to New Friend Sloane Matthews. Sloane started off with style. Tonight's GWG was her first goal as a Buckeye. Deciding that this D-1 Hockey gig was kind of fun, Matthews added a 2nd Goal just 4:30 later on a brilliant tip. This New Buckeye comes to us from Plymouth, MN. (NW of Minneapolis) Welcome, Sloane!
                                Matthews was a scoring machine for Wayzata high school (which is actually located in Plymouth) - she was, by far, the best player on their team. I don't know if the Gophers tried to recruit her - or not - but starting with the announcement of her decision to attend Ohio State, I've wondered if they didn't, why not?
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X