This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Buckeyes 2022-2023 ... The Drive For Duluth

It is now August 15th and I decided I should get this coming season's thread started. The Buckeyes are coming off a magical season that saw them go 32-6 and win it all at Penn State with a 3-2 victory over Minnesota-Duluth. Now the Bucks will have to deal with life at the top of the mountain and getting everyone's best shot, although that will not exactly be something new as I think this program has been getting everyone's best game for the several seasons now.

Gone are several key members of the program ... D Eve Savander, F Clair DeGeorge, F Madisyn Wiebe, G Andrea Braendli, F Liz Schepers, F Lexi Templeman, F Sara Saekkinen, and D Emily Curlett. They will be missed and their contributions to Buckeye Women's Hockey will not be forgotten anytime soon, that's for sure!

The Buckeyes welcome back a solid group from last year's team ... G Raygan Kirk, F Ramsey Parent, D Teagan Grant, D Hadley Hartmetz, F Brooke Bink, D Madison Bizal, F Jenna Buglioni, F Kenzi Hauswirth, F Jennifer Gardiner, D Riley Brengman, F Gabby Rosenthal, F Emma Maltais (coming off an Olympic Gold Medal with Team Canada), D Sophie Jaques, D Lauren Bernard, D Jamie Grinder, F Paetyn Levis, G Amanda Thiele, and G Quinn Kuntz.

Ohio State will welcome nine new players, eight of which are freshmen, so that should put to rest all the banter from last season that Coach Muzerall would have problems recruiting after bringing in so many transfers last season. Suiting up for the Buckeyes for the first time this season will be F Emerson Jarvis, D Emma Peschel, F Alaina Giampietro, F Makenna Webster (transfer from Wisconsin), D Sydney Morrow, F Sloane Matthews, F Sofie Lundin, F Gali Levy, and G Lexington Secreto.

I will just paste the roster here for those who want to take a look.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports...eason/2022-23/

Last year's Director of Operations, Kelsey Cline, has been promoted to Assistant Coach.

Cannot wait to get the season started, won't be long!

Here is a link to the schedule.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/w-hockey/schedule/

Most of you know everyone is welcome here as us women's hockey fans are a close, tight-knit community. For those who are new to the USCHO.com fan forum, feel free to stop by and chat with us anytime. We are pretty civil here, so stop by and tell us all about your team! One other thing, I can just about guarantee that you will be entertained by PGB's three stars of the game which he graciously posts here after each home game!
    Last edited by osualum86; 08-16-2022, 01:06 AM.

4 Goalies...9 Defensemen...And 14 forwards. There is a lot of talent on that roster. So much so that some pretty good players are not going to get much playing time. Similar situation to the other top teams in the WCHA.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

In recent days, a couple of other positions have been filled, and in both cases, by persons who Buckeye Women's Hockey fans should be familiar with! Former Buckeye Lauren Kohl (Spring) will move into the Director of Operations position that was vacated when Kelsey Cline was promoted to Assistant Coach. In other news, Buckeye Women's Hockey welcomes back Peter Elander as the Associate Head Coach! Coach Muzerall has always wanted to bring back a former player and have someone on staff who wore the OSU sweater and Lauren Kohl checks that box off. I have yet to speak with anyone who is not absolutely thrilled that we are getting Peter Elander back!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
        In other news, Buckeye Women's Hockey welcomes back Peter Elander as the Associate Head Coach!
        So when he left citing family issues and health concerns, that was likely the reason, as opposed to friction with Muzzy as some speculated.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          So when he left citing family issues and health concerns, that was likely the reason, as opposed to friction with Muzzy as some speculated.
          I never heard of any friction, only his health concerns. It's all irrelevant now that he's back.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/peter-...te-head-coach/
          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 08-25-2022, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            I have yet to speak with anyone who is not absolutely thrilled that we are getting Peter Elander back!
            I'm not thrilled LOL. I was hoping he'd end up in Idalski.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Wow! The legend of Nadine Muzerall continues to grow.

congrats OSU fans!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                Wow! The legend of Nadine Muzerall continues to grow.
                I imagine that one could read that multiple ways.

My take on the OSU coach is that while the frequent comings and goings of her assistants/players may raise eyebrows, mine included at times, it is difficult to question her bottom line. Failing to win the regular season title last year mattered -- right up the Buckeyes won the WCHA Tournament and the NCAAs. The WCHA Championship yielded the supposedly easier side of the bracket in the national tourney, so perhaps that was the bigger prize of the two conference crowns last year.

I think Muzerall's performance to date is at a minimum alongside the best coaching jobs in the country while she's been in Columbus. Clarkson won titles her first two years, but the fighting nurses started at a higher point by far. Wisconsin has also won twice, one of which came with an asterisk, but Johnson's Badgers also left some meat on the bone in several other seasons after Muzzy arrived.

If you add in her years as an assistant, maybe she has had the best coaching run of anyone over the last decade plus. Frost won the four titles in five years, but she was alongside him for all of those, and his team's recession coincided with her departure.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

My take on the OSU coach is that while the frequent comings and goings of her assistants/players may raise eyebrows, mine included at times, it is difficult to question her bottom line. Failing to win the regular season title last year mattered -- right up the Buckeyes won the WCHA Tournament and the NCAAs. The WCHA Championship yielded the supposedly easier side of the bracket in the national tourney, so perhaps that was the bigger prize of the two conference crowns last year.

I think Muzerall's performance to date is at a minimum alongside the best coaching jobs in the country while she's been in Columbus. Clarkson won titles her first two years, but the fighting nurses started at a higher point by far. Wisconsin has also won twice, one of which came with an asterisk, but Johnson's Badgers also left some meat on the bone in several other seasons after Muzzy arrived.

If you add in her years as an assistant, maybe she has had the best coaching run of anyone over the last decade plus. Frost won the four titles in five years, but she was alongside him for all of those, and his team's recession coincided with her departure.
                  I am a Muzerall fan. Intended as a complimentary post, and I appreciate your summary too which highlights partly why.

OSU is fun for many reasons, one of which is wild stuff you are not expecting to happen, happens. Did I think Elander was coming back? I did not. I actually wondered if she was leaving a spot open, being picky like a national champion should be able to be, thinking maybe someone would materialize from the Blue Jackets or something.

I think it’s a flex by OSU that they were quiet about their staff all summer and then dropped this right as the season approaches, not just Elander, but Cline and Kohl (Spring) coming back.

I do hope they get their website sorted out so that it reflects who the coaches were in the championship winning season.
                  Last edited by Lindsay; 08-26-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

My take on the OSU coach is that while the frequent comings and goings of her assistants/players may raise eyebrows, mine included at times, it is difficult to question her bottom line.
                    I used to be curious about the turnover of assistant coaches but had it explained to me that they left to climb higher on the coaching ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I'm not thrilled LOL. I was hoping he'd end up in Idalski.
                      Sorry, not sorry!

I am really looking forward to this season. Want to see if the girls can defend their National Title, or maybe get that elusive WCHA Regular Season Title. I am absolutely stoked with Coach Nadine and the job she has done here. It is nothing short of amazing. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the following things would be accomplished here in a six-season span; 1 National Title, 3 Frozen Fours, and 2 WCHA Tournament Titles. Another thing that has been done here under Coach Nadine is hosting the first round of the WCHA Playoffs (five seasons in a row to this point). Before Coach Nadine got here, we had gone on the road for many seasons. We could never seem to finish higher than 5th. That is in the rear view mirror thanks to Nadine Muzerall. I sincerely hope she is here, like, forever! Hope she never leaves!!

Comment

I think things will be a tad tougher for OSU against UW this year with no players lost to the Olympics for WI.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I don't know if anyone saw it but on BTN before OSU's football game today they had an awesome interview with coach Muzerall and her returning seniors.
                          I assume one can see it on BTN+ later or on the teams page on the OSU athletic website.
                          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 09-10-2022, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I think things will be a tad tougher for OSU against UW this year with no players lost to the Olympics for WI.
                            I think things will be tough for UW against us this season with Bizal, Rosenthal, Matais, Jaques and Levis all coming back as graduate seniors.
                            ESPECIALLY Maltais & Jaques!
                            (Big Grin)
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 09-10-2022, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

I think things will be tough for UW against us this season with Bizal, Rosenthal, Matais, Jaques and Levis all coming back as graduate seniors.
                              ESPECIALLY Maltais & Jaques!
                              (Big Grin)
                              Let Timothy string himself out like a piece of Laffy Taffy. When the heat comes he will turn soft and start moaning about this and that and some other reason his beloved badgers didn't get the trophy. Anyone expecting cakewalks in the WCHA this year will be rudely awakened. Me? I think the best team wins, (Finland vs USA in IIHF an exception), and will applaud them whoever they are. This will be an exciting season, probably one of a kind because of the returning talent. Putting those pieces together into a winning team will really show how good some of these coaching staffs are.

Comment

Working...
                              X