• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindsay
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post

It's not my "whole point".

My whole point is that Grace wasn't 'forced' out. Had she come back to Wisconsin, she'd have been in the same position she has been in her other years, and it would have VERY little to do with transfer players..

That is VERY different than the position that Muzerall and OSU have put Brooke Bink in. Had Bink come back, she'd have been forced by the multiple transfers onto the bench and maybe off the bench altogether.

You can keep trying to equate the two, but they are simple not 'equal'.
    Was it reported somewhere that Shirley was welcome back and would get the same scholarship money as a fifth year that she averaged during her 4 years there?

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    I'd like to say something about coach Muzerall.
    Even though she's gained nicknames like The Muzzinator and looks like the iron maiden behind the bench totally abusing her energy gum she's actually very friendly and personable.
    After our win on Alumni Night when she came off the ice a large group of her former players mobbed her jumping up and down screaming. They love her to death.
    I have every reason to believe when she recruits it's very easy for prospects to connect with her and like her instantly. That can be a major factor in getting a commitment.
    (But TimothyA should still be afraid of her!)
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 05-13-2023, 08:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Offsides Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Much of the traffic in the portal will slow down in a couple of years when there will be a scarcity of players with a fifth season at their disposal. At that point, it may be more difficult to attract preps if the word around the rink is that some programs are less loyal than others when it comes to commitment to their recruits.
    Agreed!

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied
    Originally posted by Sierra View Post
    So maybe the question should be why didn't they
    want Wis or Minn or the East
    Or maybe it's not just a question of want. There could very well be other reasons, the answers to which we'll never know.

Leave a comment:

• Sierra
    replied
    I, find it hard to belive that Coach Muzerall who
    has been the Head Coach at tOSU for 7 years
    (befor the transfer portal) and an assist Coach at
    UofM for 5 year's plus a former player at UofM
    with a total of 6 National Titles would care for her
    players and approach the game in such a juvenile
    nanner. Their is a reason why EVERY single elite
    player in the transfer portal CHOSE to play for
    tOSU ... you didn't think Minn and
    Wis didn't try to land those athletes or the East
    teams.... those athletes' emails and cells were blowing up
    They could have gone anywhere in the county. So
    maybe the question should be why didn't they
    want Wis or Minn or the East

Leave a comment:

• vicb
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    There isn't a "right" side to this, and we all tend to react differently when it is a player transferring into or out of "our" program versus one across the border.

Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    There isn't a "right" side to this, and we all tend to react differently when it is a player transferring into or out of "our" program versus one across the border. Whether or not a WI forward has been bumped by transfers, it is obvious that a lot of prep-recruited goalies did lose a lot of minutes in net in Madison in recent years. There is a lot of room for disagreement before branding every dissenting voice a troll.

If one thinks tOSU is being abused for its use of the portal, just imagine what the reaction would have been had the entire rise of the program resulted solely on the blades of transfers. Each coach makes decisions based on what they think is best for their program. My only question with how Coach Muzerall is currently approaching the portal is, "Is it sustainable?" Much of the traffic in the portal will slow down in a couple of years when there will be a scarcity of players with a fifth season at their disposal. At that point, it may be more difficult to attract preps if the word around the rink is that some programs are less loyal than others when it comes to commitment to their recruits.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

This is the whole point. She’s not coming back. Not everyone gets a fifth year!
    It's not my "whole point".

My whole point is that Grace wasn't 'forced' out. Had she come back to Wisconsin, she'd have been in the same position she has been in her other years, and it would have VERY little to do with transfer players..

That is VERY different than the position that Muzerall and OSU have put Brooke Bink in. Had Bink come back, she'd have been forced by the multiple transfers onto the bench and maybe off the bench altogether.

You can keep trying to equate the two, but they are simple not 'equal'.

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied

Grace Shirley was 4th line her entire career at Wisconsin. Had she come back for her COVID year, she'd quite likely have been 4

)
    This is the whole point. She’s not coming back. Not everyone gets a fifth year!

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied

Adding as I mull it over some more, it is also WAY more likely that Bink and Parent (I'll assume she's the other) are losing scholarship money than it is Grace Shirley is. Again, because of five incoming 'high profile' transfers.
    They are not “losing” scholarship money. They played four years at OSU. One has 1 point this year and one has 9. Zero obligation of the coach to bring them back for a fifth year. Not connected to the program but I just looked at the stats at year end and guessed these two would not return.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied

Shirley lost ice time to numerous transfers over the years. Why do you refuse to admit that MJ makes the tough decisions too? I think there was even talk on the Wisco thread about having too many D now and playing some at forward.

You have no idea about people’s scholarships or financial situations.

Once again when St. Cloud loaded up the portal, the points of the outgoing players was given as a justification. Why OSU doesn’t get that grace I don’t know.
    Maybe we have a different definition of "lost ice time".

Grace Shirley was 4th line her entire career at Wisconsin. Had she come back for her COVID year, she'd quite likely have been 4th line again; she would NOT have been bumped to 'not dressing'. That is, in my mind, she would not have "lost ice time".

I hope she does better at her next team. Go get'em Grace.

Brooke Bink was a 3rd liner who was looking at being bumped down to 4th or maybe off the lineup altogether. That to me is losing ice time. VERY different than Grace Shirley's situation at UW.

No, I don't know who is or is not on scholarship. I *hate* having to even consider the question. But I do know that once a SA graduates, whatever guarantee an NLI in the Big Ten had held for them disappears. And once more, who's more likely to be getting 'discretionary' scholarship money, the 3rd liner whose bumping down to 4th line, or the high profile transfer?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Unless I missed someone, there were two transfers at forward at Wisconsin during Grace Shirley's years: Daryl Watts and Jesse Compher. One might argue that Lacey Eden was/is a transfer, but seeing as she never actually enrolled or played anywhere else, I would not. Contrast that with the five Ohio St is bringing in just this year.)
    Last edited by robertearle; 05-13-2023, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Why OSU doesn’t get that grace I don’t know.
    As the saying goes "Don't hate us because we're beautiful" (Wink)

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied

Adding as I mull it over some more, it is also WAY more likely that Bink and Parent (I'll assume she's the other) are losing scholarship money than it is Grace Shirley is. Again, because of five incoming 'high profile' transfers.
    Shirley lost ice time to numerous transfers over the years. Why do you refuse to admit that MJ makes the tough decisions too? I think there was even talk on the Wisco thread about having too many D now and playing some at forward.

You have no idea about people’s scholarships or financial situations.

Once again when St. Cloud loaded up the portal, the points of the outgoing players was given as a justification. Why OSU doesn’t get that grace I don’t know.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied

I am not aware of "seniors who decided not to stay for their extra year".
    Unless you are part of our circle no one would expect you to know who's not returning until it's posted.

Leave a comment:

• Hockeybuckeye
    replied
    Don't forget that if they've graduated this spring, to take up that fifth year they'd have to enroll in grad school and may not want to take their education to the next level. After their fifth year of hockey, no more scholarship money to help pay for it. If mom and dad aren't broke yet from all those years of hockey or very rich how would a girl who hasn't entered the job market yet pay for it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X