This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I generally don't trash people on forum but I've got to say I've never seen such horrific officiating this season than on this weekends series against the Beavers. We had a player injured in each game, and in today's game the concern was serious enough she was transported to the hospital in the ambulance on a backboard!
    Did we get a PP with the injuries? 5 minutes would have been warranted in either instance but no, not even a 2 minute call!! We didn't even get a review today for an elbow to the head that caused Buglioni to go down hard on the ice. Her injury could have been serious. I've seen other forum members this season posting about their disgust with WCHA officiating and boy, am I disgusted!
    Our ref's this weekend were Bradshaw and Binkley and I hope coach insists we do NOT have them doing our games next weekend.
    I usually try my best to not say anything about officiating, but it was absolutely disgusting today. I have gotten used to WCHA officials not calling much, but when a kid takes a head shot and gets injured in the process and nothing is called whatsoever, I can't keep silent about that. Not only did they not call that on the ice, they didn't even go to video and review it. I don't have a problem with officials letting the kids decide the games, but when it gets to the point where a kid takes a head shot and gets hurt, that is where it crosses the line. I am with you on that, Hockeybuckeye, if I were Coach Muzerall, I would send the film of this one to the WCHA Office and request that Bradshaw and Binkley never work an OSU game again. We should have had five or six power plays today and we got none.

Onto the game ... Woody Hayes always said "Anything easy ain't worth a damn." It has also been said by more than a few coaches that the closeout game is the hardest one to win. Bemidji State's goaltender, Hannah Hogenson, was outstanding again today and kept the Beavers in the game, but the Buckeyes eventually broke through and held on to win 2-1. Ohio State opened the scoring on a first period goal from Sloane Matthews to take a 1-0 lead. That score held until the third period when Jenn Gardiner scored with less than four minutes to go in the game to give Ohio State a 2-0 lead. Bemidji got a late power play goal to make the score 2-1, but that was as close as they would get. The Buckeyes outshot the Beavers 30-16 in this one with Buckeye netminder Amanda Thiele stopping 15 of the 16 shots she faced in the win. Beaver backstop Hannah Hogenson was brilliant again today, stopping 28 of the 30 shots she faced in the loss. The Buckeyes move onto the WCHA Final Faceoff next weekend and will play Minnesota-Duluth in the first semi-final. Minnesota will play Wisconsin in the other semi-final. Bemidji State's season comes to a close with this loss.

Comment

• Just watched the replay. I am even more ****ed at Bradshaw now. It was a clear head shot to Jenna Buglioni. Bradshaw was standing right there, saw everything, and did not call a damn thing. He should never ref an Ohio State game again. I know these guys have a tough job, but they also have to be held accountable for egregious no-calls when players take head shots, get injured, and they call nothing. Should have been a five-minute major and they didn't even review it.

Comment

• Watching Jenna Buglioni's injury was tough. Seeing her strapped to the immobilization board was much worse. I hope and pray that the latter was just an intelligent precaution. I take some small comfort from the fact she left the ice upright, gliding on her skates, as she was being helped along.

I was also startled by how still & quiet Jenna was. But flashing back to a long ago ski injury, maybe that part is normal and makes sense.

Perhaps ironically, I was close to Jenna's current age; maybe exactly Jenna's age. The relevant part comes after my "first responder" got me to a safe place to wait for the sled. (to get down to the base lodge)

My injury occurred at a Canadian resort. The cracked ilium meant I was lying on my back in the snow. The ski patrol guy's job was to assess my condition, and to try to lift my spirits. I'll never the guy's first words to me: "It's a bit cold on the bum, eh?" Exact words. Now on one level, that's laugh out loud funny. I managed a "yeah," and a weak nod.

What was I experiencing? Well, I was kind of in shock. Really, really disappointed to be injured. But not mad at the resort; not mad at the offending ice patch or anything else. Mostly just wanted to withdraw into myself. I hope and pray that's all that Jenna was going through, and that the "startling quiet" wasn't evidence of anything worse.

I do understand why Buckeye fans would want to "prosecute" either a ref or an opposing player. But I'm just not up for the that. Mind you I'm not telling anyone else to keep quiet.

Part of my reaction stems from how I post. The 17 regulars know I almost never criticize a ref or an opposing player. But it's more than that. Jenna's injury hit me hard.

Importantly, I'm not forgetting about Brooke Bink's injury. Though apparently less serious, that was plenty bad enough.

Tough weekend, despite two significant wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          Just watched the replay. I am even more ****ed at Bradshaw now. It was a clear head shot to Jenna Buglioni. Bradshaw was standing right there, saw everything, and did not call a damn thing. He should never ref an Ohio State game again. I know these guys have a tough job, but they also have to be held accountable for egregious no-calls when players take head shots, get injured, and they call nothing. Should have been a five-minute major and they didn't even review it.
          I don't like how it makes me feel to speak of someone in negative terms but I think there was a serious lack of accountability from our refs last night.
          With it being hockey we all like a little rough stuff but when a player is evaluated that the injury could be serious and is taken to the hospital it is indeed the responsibility of the on ice officials to send the message not just to the team of the offending player but to show both teams that over the top aggressiveness will not be tolerated.
          The proper message should have been an ejection. That sentiment was shared by every parent of our players after the game in conversation so I'm not alone in my opinion.
          I'm curious that given that our player had to be taken to OSU's Medical Center's Emergency Room will the head of WCHA officiating look into this matter further?
          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-26-2023, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Wading into this with *great* trepidation....

Is there another 'incident' besides the one four minutes into the first period? All the talk about "immobilization board" etc confuses me greatly. Buglioni leaves the ice on her skates, albeit while accompanied, then sits with trainers etc in an area adjacent to the player bench for a few minutes, then disappears from camera altogether, somewhere around eight minutes gone in the period.

I hope it is obvious that if she was subsequently taken elsewhere for further evaluation some minutes later is hardly something Bradshaw can take into account at the moment of the call/no call on the ice.

As for the no call, I can only see what BTN-Plus shows me. And as has often been discussed, what one can see on the video from the OSU rink is sorely lacking. Obviously she goes into the boards hard. What causes her to go into the boards is not at all apparent. It could have been a hit from the Bemidji player, it could have been 'normal' player contact in the corners, it could have been her simply losing her balance. BTN showed no replays, either of the one main camera shot, or of the other camera(s). I simply can't say from what one can see on the BTN replay.

As best I understand it, Muzzerall could have challenged for a five minute major 'head contact' penalty, and obviously she didn't; as best one can see, neither she nor any OSU player/captain says much of anything to the refs. Had she challenged (much like the 'hand pass' challenge at LaBahn last week) the refs can only review the cameras and angles available to them. So maybe Muzzerall understood that, and realized the challenge was likely to fail based on that? I don't know.

I understand you guys were in the building, and were able to see much more. But the video available on BTN isn't at all 'definitive' or 'indisputable', etc.
            Last edited by robertearle; 02-26-2023, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
              Wading into this with *great* trepidation....

Is there another 'incident' besides the one four minutes into the first period? All the talk about "immobilization board" etc confuses me greatly. Buglioni leaves the ice on her skates, albeit while accompanied, then sits with trainers etc in an area adjacent to the player bench for a few minutes, then disappears from camera altogether, somewhere around eight minutes gone in the period.

I hope it is obvious that if she was subsequently taken elsewhere for further evaluation some minutes later is hardly something Bradshaw can take into account at the moment of the call/no call on the ice.
              She was taken into St.Johns for further evaluation and was subsequently placed on the board and stretcher before being placed into the ambulance.
              I counter that Bradshaw was accountable and does one need to be Captain Obvious that when you have a player laying motionless on the ice for an extended period of time that you should automatically look at it further?
              Should Coach Muzerall really have to tell a ref to do his job and review what happened right in front of him?
              We'll just have to wait and see if the WCHA makes issue of it or not.
              Although the coach did not challenge who knows if she made issue with it post game? I do not know.

Comment

She was taken into St.Johns for further evaluation and was subsequently placed on the board and stretcher before being placed into the ambulance.
                I counter that Bradshaw was accountable and does one need to be Captain Obvious that when you have a player laying motionless on the ice for an extended period of time that you should automatically look at it further?
                Should Coach Muzerall really have to tell a ref to do his job and review what happened right in front of him?
                We'll just have to wait and see if the WCHA makes issue of it or not.
                Although the coach did not challenge who knows if she made issue with it post game? I do not know.
                The main camera position shows the 'Bemidji elbow' lined up with Buglioni's head, but the two-dimension nature of that angle doesn't show how much space there was or wasn't between the elbow and the head. You need a second camera at least to regain a sense of the 'dimensionality'. Bradshaw, on the other hand, is at a very good angle to see if there was space between the two. Depth perception is greatly lost through a camera angle; even more so through a 'long' lens. Yes, if a coach wants a ref to take a second look at something the ref is apparently not going to look at, the coach has to ask.

Comment

Yes, if a coach wants a ref to take a second look at something the ref is apparently not going to look at, the coach has to ask.
                  I'm the last person to try and guess the coach's motives in anything she does or doesn't do. I have complete faith in her to trust her judgement.

Comment

Wading into this with *great* trepidation....

Is there another 'incident' besides the one four minutes into the first period? All the talk about "immobilization board" etc confuses me greatly. Buglioni leaves the ice on her skates, albeit while accompanied, then sits with trainers etc in an area adjacent to the player bench for a few minutes, then disappears from camera altogether, somewhere around eight minutes gone in the period...

... I understand you guys were in the building, and were able to see much more. But the video available on BTN isn't at all 'definitive' or 'indisputable', etc.
                    I am responding solely to clear up the factual confusion. Speaking only for myself, I am not second guessing or criticizing anyone. Not the refs, not the coaches, not the players, not the fans.

As per my original post, I saw what you saw as far how Jenna left the ice, then the Ice Rink itself. She was brought to the home locker room area, in St. John Arena. It was there she was strapped to the board, then placed on the wheeled gurney. To get from the locker room area to the ambulance pick-up point, you have to go through the St. John Concourse. That concourse is a public area, used for concessions & rest rooms during Women's Hockey games.

Anyhow, the way I experienced it: After initially thinking the injury wasn't too bad -- like you -- I suddenly see Jenna strapped down to the gurney, quiet and still, being wheeled to the ambulance. Maybe I'm just queasy. But seeing that was like being blind-sided by a ton of bricks.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

Anyhow, the way I experienced it: After initially thinking the injury wasn't too bad -- like you -- I suddenly see Jenna strapped down to the gurney, quiet and still, being wheeled to the ambulance. Maybe I'm just queasy. But seeing that was like being blind-sided by a ton of bricks.
                      I feel from a fans perspective what motivated our criticism of the officiating to be more intense was the fact that we had a player injured in both games with no calls. I know a lot of minor infractions are no calls a lot of the time but in my opinion for whatever it's worth that when there is an injury, at that point it's no longer a "judgement" call, a call should be mandated.

Comment

My guess is that there isn't a camera that would show a good replay of the hit. With goals, there is an overhead camera to look at. For something that takes place in the corner, the OSU Ice Arena is largely devoid of good angles to see that from. I would guess that both Bradshaw and Muzerall both know where the cameras are and what they're able to review. The fact that BTN+ never showed a replay reinforces my suspicion. The advent of video review is another reason this team needs a new arena.

I'll second Robert. With the lousy visibility in the live shot, we really don't know what happened. I'll add that it isn't clear whether Bradshaw is looking directly at it. Right before the hit, he's looking in the direction of the net. He turns his head, but he might be watching the hit, or he might be tracking the puck, which Buglioni had chipped forward just before. So, he might be trying to evaluate the play with only a part of his focus.

The way Buglioni pitches forward with her whole body, rather than a snap of the neck, indicates that there was contact made on her torso. There might have been an elbow to the head as well, but it may just be Raeley Carney hitting Buglioni in the shoulder with her body. My take is that there should have been a bodychecking or boarding minor called on the play. The hit wasn't from behind, so that's out. There isn't a cross-check. If Bradshaw didn't see an elbow, I'm just not sure that there is a major penalty there to call.

Further, refs are not supposed to base a call on whether or not there is a significant injury. The penalty is the action, not the consequences. I have a lot of griping that hey don't actually do that on hooking and tripping calls, but that's the way they are supposed to do it. If Bradshaw didn't see an elbow, that Buglioni got hurt isn't relevant to what call he makes
                        Last edited by Still Eeyore; 02-26-2023, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• I'll also say that this Bemidji State team is not pleasant to watch. By NCAA Division I standards, they are bad at playing hockey, and they let their frustrations turn into goonish play on multiple occasions.

Comment

• Final Score From Saturday, February 25th
                            Ohio State 2
                            Bemidji State 1
                            (Ohio State Sweeps Best Of Three Series 2-0)

Buckeyes Overcome The Beavers' Strong Compete Level; Complete Series Sweep

Sporting events can be interrupted for Injury Timeouts. You could say that this Injury Conversation is being interrupted by a 3 Stars Timeout. But I do want to give some credit where credit is due.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Bemidji State Honorable Mention: Hannah Hogenson
                            Brilliant in the nets both days. Saturday's total was 28 Saves on 30 Shots.

Ohio State Honorable Honorable Mention: Amanda Thiele
                            The Great Fans in the South Stands display a permanent collection of signs. One sign indicates they love Amanda. Hey, I love Amanda too! In Saturday's tight game, she had only a 1 goal margin of error. She accomplished her mission, posting 15 Saves on 16 Shots.

#3 Star: Jenn Gardiner, Ohio State
                            At the time, we all thought it was just an insurance goal. Turned out to be the game-winner. Sophie Jaques started the play from the right point, directing the puck into the slot. Jenn and linemate Gabby Rosenthal battled hard in common cause. Eventually Gardiner pounded the puck home. Kind of a greasy goal you say? Maybe so. But also a good playoff goal; and we sure wouldn't trade it away.

#2 Star: Claire Vekich, Bemidji State
                            Beaver Power Play. Gabbie Smith started the scoring play by gathering in the puck along the left wing boards. Back to the point to Khloe Lund. On to Claire, who finished the job. The Bemidji Breakthrough sure made the last 2:23 interesting.

#1 Star: Sloane Matthews, Ohio State
                            Sloane's goal came just 2:00 into the game. Kenzie Hauswirth gained possession behind the endline with a strong forecheck. Pass to Matthews in tight; Sloane then beat the Bemidji Keeper to the far post.

This contest was a cliff hanger from start to finish. But the early Matthews goal had the Beavers chasing the Buckeyes all afternoon. Crucial to the victory; that turned out to be the key moment of the game.

Up Next: The Final Face-Off @ Ridder Arena In Minneapolis. The Buckeyes and Bulldogs Open The Tournament On Friday, With The Winner Advancing To The Championship Game On Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

Further, refs are not supposed to base a call on whether or not there is a significant injury. The penalty is the action, not the consequences.
                              I would counter that if a player is laying motionless on the ice, would it not be logical for the official to want to see the cause of it?

Comment

I would counter that if a player is laying motionless on the ice, would it not be logical for the official to want to see the cause of it?
                                During one of the January games between St. Thomas and UMD, at St. Thomas, the Bulldogs seemed to use every opportunity to rough up one Tommie who use to play at Duluth. It was really sickening to watch from the stands, that sort of playground vendetta. Towards the end of, I believe game 1, two Duluth players mauled the St. Thomas player, and left her laying on the ice. The play continued towards the St. Thomas goal, with 4 St. Thomas players fending off the five from UMD. They kept looking back, for the injured player to either join the play, get to the bench, or attract the refs attention. None of that happened, and Duluth scored as if they were on a power play.
                                There is a lot of contact throughout women's hockey. We need to demand a change in what we are seeing on the ice. These young women should not be paying the price for some abstract be-like-the-guys version of hockey. Let's protect the health and well being of our players, regardless of what league they play in.

Comment

Working...
                                X