This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

Excellent catch; that's exactly the song I was referencing.

I'm a little older, and do remember Mighty Quinn from when it was released. When I was a little kid, I found out about the Snoopy vs. The Red Baron song by the Royal Guardsmen. That got me going with Rock & Roll and I never looked back. Anyhow, the Mighty Quinn song is of the same late 60's vintage.

My other musical reference from Saturday morning was, of course, Taking Care Of Business by Bachman Turner Overdrive. That's a little more recent, coming from the mid-1970's.
    (Manfred Mann had the hit, but "Quinn The Eskimo" is a Bob Dylan song.)

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

(Manfred Mann had the hit, but "Quinn The Eskimo" is a Bob Dylan song.)
      So you're even older than I am! Or just an excellent Rock & Roll Historian.

You inspired me to do a little checking. It is indeed a Dylan song; yet Dylan didn't release his creation until the Manfred Mann hit was three years old. I'm guessing I'm not the only fan who was Blinded By The Light.

Comment

So you're even older than I am! Or just an excellent Rock & Roll Historian.

You inspired me to do a little checking. It is indeed a Dylan song; yet Dylan didn't release his creation until the Manfred Mann hit was three years old. I'm guessing I'm not the only fan who was Blinded By The Light.
        A Springsteen song.

(Yes, I'm old. I'm also a fan of songwriters.)

Comment

• Final Score From Saturday, January 28th
          Ohio State 4
          Minnesota State 2
          Similar Sequel: Tea For Two Wins

If Friday's game was your Cup of Tea, you likely enjoyed the Second Setting. Same Plot: Fast Buckeye Start; Nice Maverick Pushback Fueled By A Power Play Goal; Buckeyes Have The Firepower To Seal The Deal. We are now well steeped in this story line.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

#3 Star: Makenna Webster, Ohio State
          Makenna brewed up a goal to launch the 1st Period Buckeye onslaught. Refills provided by Paetyn Levis & Sofie Lundin.

#2 Star: Charlotte Akervik, Minnesota State
          Maverick PP. Charlotte's drive from the point literally forced its way into the net. No tip on the play; just a steaming potshot that proved to be too hot to handle.

#1 Star: Riley Brengman, Ohio State
          There was one difference in the Saturday offering. Yes, there was a 3-2 score both days. But it never felt like the Friday game was in doubt.

Not true on Saturday. In the rematch, the 3-2 score held up for almost 20 minutes. The 3rd Period was slipping away; the score remained tied. Doubt began to creep in. Then came a major penalty on the Mavericks. Major opportunity. Yet almost 4 minutes went by on the man advantage without result. Finally one last caffeine blast from Riley satisfied the customers.

Up Next: Minnesota Week Has Begun.

Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-29-2023, 12:29 PM.

Comment

A Springsteen song.
            And another Manfred Mann cover. By that point they were known as Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Good on you!

Comment

We're all old unfortunately. Yes, there's a seat in my shower - but it's the wife's! LOL

Comment

And another Manfred Mann cover. By that point they were known as Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Good on you!
                Most everything Manfred Mann did, in both their incarnations, were remakes of earlier recordings of songs written by "hall of fame" songwriters (even though for a time they had a member named Mike D'Abo, who was a songwriter himself, co-writer of "Build Me Up Buttercup", that gets sung by the crowd at Wisconsin football and volleyball games, etc.) Yeah, I both lived through much of it and have "studied" it.

Comment

Excellent catch; that's exactly the song I was referencing.

I'm a little older, and do remember Mighty Quinn from when it was released. When I was a little kid, I found out about the Snoopy vs. The Red Baron song by the Royal Guardsmen. That got me going with Rock & Roll and I never looked back. Anyhow, the Mighty Quinn song is of the same late 60's vintage.

My other musical reference from Saturday morning was, of course, Taking Care Of Business by Bachman Turner Overdrive. That's a little more recent, coming from the mid-1970's.
                  I remember Taking Care of Business and I totally got those references!

Comment

• HUGE series coming up this weekend as the No. 1 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes travel to Minneapolis to face off against No. 3 Minnesota Golden Gophers. I'm already getting excited to see how the series plays out! Based on their recent much improved play I believe the Gophers will give No. 1 all they want, and maybe then some? In any case Ridder should be rock'n and filled to near capacity to give the home team a big boost.

Keys to the games, and predictions anyone?
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      HUGE series coming up this weekend as the No. 1 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes travel to Minneapolis to face off against No. 3 Minnesota Golden Gophers.
                      Doesn't get any bigger in the regular season.

I'm already getting excited to see how the series plays out! Based on their recent much improved play I believe the Gophers will give No. 1 all they want, and maybe then some?
                      No doubt about it. And regardless of the specific outcome, the competition should strengthen both teams for their post-season runs.

In any case Ridder should be rock'n and filled to near capacity to give the home team a big boost.
                      Despite our humble home, we've been to nice places before. And we've been to Ridder many times. If the crowd turns out as you say, it will give both teams a big boost. One team will be playing for the crowd, the other against it. But the adrenaline will flow for both.

What's a Ridder Sellout? 3500? 4000? If the Gophers can fill that many seats with loud, engaged fans, that is indeed a credit to the State of Hockey. I'm just saying the Buckeyes are used to loud, and that both teams will thrive.

Keys to the games, and predictions anyone?
                      My only prediction is that these teams will meet again in the post-season. Perhaps twice.

Comment

• Good points all, pgb-ohio. May the best team win, twice? <WINK>

P.S. Ridder capacity is 3,400. If it's not full, it'll be close.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• 4 former Buckeye on the USA roster for the next Rivalry Series games!
                          I'm sure we'll have some on Team Canada's as well.
                          It has to be a great boost to Coach Muzerall's recruiting and a testament to her achievements at Ohio State.
                          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 01-31-2023, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• The Yuckeye Administration should take a look at this rink for some upgrade ideas...Especially the "drawbridge" for players to get to the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AVnyLj68qs
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              The Yuckeye Administration should take a look at this rink for some upgrade ideas...Especially the "drawbridge" for players to get to the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AVnyLj68qs
                              I'd say rather than scheduling the next showcase event in Vegas or Nashville, how about holding it in Lang, Sask. instead? And if you need a backup Zamboni, I bet the good folks of Lang could construct you one, no matter your budget.

Yesterday, an 8th-grade Pohl girl, and now this rink. There's no predicting what FHF will discover next.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                The Yuckeye Administration should take a look at this rink for some upgrade
                                You should have seen it before the last round of modifications! The roof leaked horribly in a thousand different places and anytime it rained or the snow on it melted, brown stained water constantly dripped boring holes in the ice and when it refroze the rink was covered in brown polka dots. It took years for the athletic department to decide they wanted to repair it.
                                The last upgrades were pretty decent but as far as opponents fans grumbling about the facility don't get your hopes up for change. Unless Coach Muzerall pushes the issue I don't think it will happen anytime soon. It's purely my opinion, I don't actually know but if our old barn is perceived by her as a factor for home ice advantage and contributes to our winning streak why should she want it different?
                                ​​​​​​Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X