Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s on tv on Bally sports in Ohio too.

Comment

• Kirk!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        Looks like a full house! Have to check later if we actually reached maximum capacity
        I don’t know what the numbers were but it was packed. Go Bucks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bkruczynski View Post

I don’t know what the numbers were but it was packed. Go Bucks!
          The box score says 680.

Comment

• What a game! Both teams battled hard and both had opportunities all game long to take a decisive lead but came oh so close. There was some rough stuff and as usual a lot of no calls that would have gone against both teams. OSU finally got a clean shot off in OT that beat the Wisconsin goaltender for the 2-1 win in OT. Wisconsin's defense and goaltending stymied us for most of the game, they're no slouches and Saturdays game should be just as exciting!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              What a game! Both teams battled hard and both had opportunities all game long to take a decisive lead but came oh so close. There was some rough stuff and as usual a lot of no calls that would have gone against both teams. OSU finally got a clean shot off in OT that beat the Wisconsin goaltender for the 2-1 win in OT. Wisconsin's defense and goaltending stymied us for most of the game, they're no slouches and Saturdays game should be just as exciting!
              Less than a minute left in overtime, it looked like, for the winning goal. I showed the box score to my brother and said "can you believe that Ludwig was the referee?" A power play goal for each side, though the winner must have come 3 on 3. Tougher game than many expected, I'd say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

Less than a minute left in overtime, it looked like, for the winning goal. I showed the box score to my brother and said "can you believe that Ludwig was the referee?" A power play goal for each side, though the winner must have come 3 on 3. Tougher game than many expected, I'd say.
                Ohio State's goal in regulation came a few seconds after the end of a power play, so it was sort-of a power play goal though not officially. Wisconsin's goal was not power play; they didn't have PP in that period at all.

Comment

Tougher game than many expected, I'd say.
                  Not tougher than I expected. With 3 loses in a row Wisconsin came here with their backs against the wall and played like their lives depended on it.

Comment

Less than a minute left in overtime, it looked like, for the winning goal.
                    39 seconds left.

Comment

• As others have already alluded to, Ohio State took game one of this series by a final score of 2-1 in overtime. If this game would have been shown on ESPN, I would have said it would be one of their "Instant Classics." Each team had a number of grade-A scoring chances, both in regulation, and also in the overtime. The goalie play was outstanding on both sides. There were some penalties called, but each team's penalty kill units came to play tonight and no power play goals were scored. The Badgers opened the scoring in this one in the first period on a goal by Lacey Eden and Wisconsin went into the first intermission with a 1-0 lead. Ohio State answered in the second period on a Jenna Buglioni goal and the teams went into the final period tied 1-1. Ohio State made a push in the third period, outshooting Wisconsin 14-5, but could not light the lamp. 60 minutes was not enough in this one and it went into overtime where Ohio State's Sophie Jaques found the back of the net with :39 seconds to go in the overtime. Ohio State ended up outshooting Wisconsin 36-28 in this one. Buckeye netminder Raygan Kirk stopped 27 of the 28 shots she faced to get the win. Wisconsin goaltender Cami Kronish was equally brilliant in this one, stopping 34 of the 36 shots she faced. The two teams will wrap up their series tomorrow at 3:00 pm EST.
                      Last edited by osualum86; 01-13-2023, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• Final Score From Friday, January 13th
                        Ohio State 2
                        Wisconsin 1
                        (O.T.)
                        Happy New Year; Happy Game Result

A friend pointed out that it had been 51 days since the Buckeyes had played a home game at the Ice Rink. All December games were on the road. Of course the calendar has flipped to 2023. A long wait for the new start. The long wait was rewarded.

The game was highly entertaining, yet tense throughout. Goals were rare and noteworthy. The Buckeyes made the last play with 39 seconds left in overtime.
                        Are The Badgers Becoming Unraveled? Two Cases To Ponder

Timothy A is USCHO's Sandbagger-In-Chief. With some regularity, he can be counted on to declare the Badgers' situation hopeless. That should always be taken with several grains of salt. UW is a superbly coached, highly talented team. They will continue to be a threat for the National Title until someone knocks them out on the ice. If that happens.

Case 1: Katie Kotlowski took an ill-advised Hitting From Behind penalty. She got the 5 & 10 the played called for. But Kotlowski wasn't done. On her way to the locker room, she must have felt the hatred coursing through her veins. Whatever the exact motivation, she delivered a two-handed lumberjack chop to the Ohio State Olympians Banner. Undisciplined. And very un-Badgerlike. A crack in the UW armor? Probably no. After all, the rest of the Badgers kept calm and killed off the resulting three minute PP. But the moment of madness was definitely a surprise.

Case 2: With a burst of speed usually reserved for drag strips, Sophie Shirley blew by the Buckeye Defense and created a clean breakaway for herself. On the shot, she sacrificed a little pace to gain accuracy. The result? A gentle ping off the post. On what might have been a GWG. That had to be extremely frustrating. But Sophie kept her cool and soldiered on. That's what I expect from this Badger team. While they must be suffering under the burden of their losing streak, they will soldier on to the end, whatever the end may be.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: (tie) Cami Kronish, Wisconsin; and Raygun Kirk, Ohio State
                        Both goalies were excellent; and undoubtedly deserve more prose than I'm giving them here. Both gave their respective teams an opportunity to win. But on this occasion I'm going to focus on the three precious goals.

#3 Star: (tie) Lacey Eden, Wisconsin; Brita Curl, Wisconsin; and Natalie Buchbinder, Wisconsin
                        In case you haven't figured it out already, everyone who earned a scoring point gets a Star. Goals were that hard to come by.

The Wisconsin tally began with a breakout pass by Natalie. Brita carried the puck up the right side. Under duress from the Buckeye 'D,' Curl somehow completed a one-handed cross-slot pass to Lacey. While the pass was impressive, the puck wasn't lying flat. But Eden got enough of it to sneak it inside the left post.

#2 Star: Jenna Buglioni, Ohio State; Paetyn Levis, Ohio State; and Kenzie Hauswirth, Ohio State
                        Three seconds after a PP expired, the Buckeyes knotted the score. Operating down low on the right side, Kenzie directed a pass up high to Paetyn. After the pass, Hauswirth crashed the net. Meanwhile Paetyn executed a brilliant diagonal pass to Jenna. Buglioni slammed it home.

Remember Kenzie? Now in the slot, she took a swing at the puck and nearly redirected the shot. She came within inches of succeeding. As it was, the "decoy" swing must have been a serious distraction to the Badger keeper. All three players certainly earned their scoring points on that play. But this would be it for scoring during regulation time.

#1 Star: Sophie Jaques, Ohio State; and Emma Maltais, Ohio State
                        The Badgers spent the entire game trying to take away Sophie as an offensive threat. We even saw TWO Badger defenders go down to block a single Jaques shot. The resulting block was just 1 of 27 blocks the Badgers had for the game. An impressive total.

For over 64 minutes, Wisconsin succeeded in this enterprise. Then came the OT GWG.

The decisive sequence began with a little coaching chess match. Just over a minute to play. Face-off in the OSU Defensive Zone. Timeout, Ohio State. Timeout complete, 3 Buckeyes take their positions. Suprisingly, no Jaques. MJ smells a rat. The Buckeyes are planning to sneak Sophie into the play after the draw. Timeout, Wisconsin. Timeout complete, the Buckeye trio now includes Jaques.

A few more seconds of action. Face-off in the UW Defensive Zone. An Olympian face-off win by Emma. Sophie in the slot, with plenty of time. A moment's hesitation, as Jaques takes a sniper's aim at the upper right hand corner. Nails it. With a beautiful Kaz-Worthy top shelf blast. The Ice Rink explodes with joy.

Up Next: The Series Continues With The Saturday Rematch. The Building Was Full Friday. If Hand Stamps are issued, be sure you get one!
                        Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-14-2023, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Instant classic write up by PGB and instant classic game as OsU86 said. So much insight here , PGB thank you!

Great game to watch, glad to see it was packed, Brutus and the band there too.

Kind of funny Maltais was shooting this game and then did lots of passing in ot. Nothin doing. She did it at third way… off the draw.

Peschel stood out as well. Raygan Kirk… well she sure did her old team and conference proud. Hope she keeps crushing it. Also saw the goalie dance you guys mentioned.

ncaaicehockey did lots of coverage on their Insta account last night as well. Worth checking out their “stories” before it expires. Really great show of college hockey.

Comment

• 5-0 shutout and the SWEEP!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                              Instant classic write up by PGB and instant classic game as OsU86 said. So much insight here , PGB thank you!
                              You're very welcome. And Lindsay, thank you very much for the thumbs up. I always try to bring my 'A' Game on the 3 Stars posts. But this one did feel special as I was posting.

Obviously I need to stay humble. The players and coaches bring the greatness; I'm just a messenger. But Friday was a fun one -- both on the ice & on the board.

Great game to watch, glad to see it was packed, Brutus and the band there too.
                              All true. I know we're just 1 of 36 Varsity Sports here at Ohio State. But I sure wish the Band could be at EVERY home game! That said, we'll obviously we'll take 'em when we can get 'em.

Kind of funny Maltais was shooting this game and then did lots of passing in ot. Nothin doing. She did it at third way… off the draw.
                              Wisconsin took away a lot of what we usually do. The Buckeyes had to persevere and find another way. Thankfully they did.

Peschel stood out as well. Raygan Kirk… well she sure did her old team and conference proud. Hope she keeps crushing it. Also saw the goalie dance you guys mentioned...
                              So glad you mentioned Peschel. She's really coming into her own. And she was definitely a standout in that game. In the story line I went with, there wasn't room for her. But she would have been very deserving. And as already mentioned, Kirk got a brief mention but deserved much more.

Comment

• Regarding that Goalie Prediction:

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

... my guess is that Amanda & Raygan each get one game. Taking it a step further, I'll say Amanda on Friday & Raygan on Saturday...
                                One game apiece proved to be accurate. Obviously I had the order backwards. But the actual choices worked out extremely well. I wouldn't change a thing!
                                Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-14-2023, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X